Blackpool 2-0 Everton. 5 August 15.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not Gibson ahead though mate. Fellaini is a better footballer than just about anyone in our team. So it's just sense to put him where he score, as essentially, we don't score we don't win. In my eyes anyway.

I can't remember the line ups that well off the top of my head at the end of the season, but did Gibson AND Neville both play defensive mid? I'm sure I would have fumed if i'd seen that!

They were both playing behind Fellaini, they are both quite defensive in their nature, and they were both fantastic in protecting our defence towards the end of last season.

Our performances at the end of the season were beyond effective. Other than at United, the opposition's attack were not having a sniff, at all.

You won't find me saying that Gibson is better than Fellaini, what you will find me saying is that Fellaini can be dodgy from a defensive perspective, and that there are many players who are better than Fellaini in a defensive midfield role, with Gibson and Neville being just two of them.

That would be my suggestion if we insist on two holding players.

I'd still rather we go with Gibson and Fellaini behind Naismith/Barkley.

Aye thats probably better, rodders might have to warm the bench a bit next season unless there are any injuries

They were both playing behind Fellaini, they are both quite defensive in their nature, and they were both fantastic in protecting our defence towards the end of last season.

Our performances at the end of the season were beyond effective. Other than at United, the opposition's attack were not having a sniff, at all.

You won't find me saying that Gibson is better than Fellaini, what you will find me saying is that Fellaini can be dodgy from a defensive perspective, and that there are many players who are better than Fellaini in a defensive midfield role, with Gibson and Neville being just two of them.

Gibson i'd agree with. Neville i never ever will mate.

I think Neville and Gibson playing deep and Fellaini pushing higher up was uber effective at the end of last season, just my opinion like, Osman and Pienaar playing in the wide midfield positions worked as well because they were able to swap flanks and come inside and find space, the interachange between Pienaar, Osman and Felli was excellent and allowing jelavic more goalscoring opportunities, but Neville and Gibson holding was allwoing them a bit more freedom, as well as allowing Baines to overlap more as their was defensive cover in the form of Neville filling the full-back spot that was vacated by whichever full-back that was overlapping at the time, plus Neville passes it better in midfield as he has more options and is closer to our creative players who can take it in a tight space.

Like I said it's a stylistic divide as much as anything else. I'm never going to be too happy with us playing two holding midfielders.

I see where you are coming from mate, and normally I would agree with you, but if having two defensive midfielders results in us regaining the form we had at the end of last season, then I will quite happily advocate such a set up.

In theory, the idea of Neville and Gibson (two players who have come from an extremely impressive team) patrolling the central areas, cutting out any attacks and playing simple passes to our advanced ball players seems pretty effective.

In reality, the idea of seeing Phil Neville in an Everton shirt make me want to throw vinegar down my piss hole.

In theory, the idea of Neville and Gibson (two players who have come from an extremely impressive team) patrolling the central areas, cutting out any attacks and playing simple passes to our advanced ball players seems pretty effective.

In reality, the idea of seeing Phil Neville in an Everton shirt make me want to throw vinegar down my piss hole.

But we saw the reality at the end of last season, and it was vintage stuff.

It seems that vilifying Neville on here is perfectly OK, whereas to even discuss Fellaini's deficiencies is sacrilege.

How about Phil Neville in a Brazil shirt?
Well it was in the Echo anyway.

Were you not there at the end of last season?

If hammering in an average of 3 goals a game, and conceding an average of less than one goal per game isn't effective, then I don't know what is.

...And what makes you think we're gonna start the upcoming season like this? Everton don't thrive on healthy expectation.

They thrive on downright adversity...hence why when we're out of all cups and struggling in the league come the New Year we start to express ourselves a bit more by playing cracking football, the last 4 seasons have basically proven this.

If (I hope to GOD not when) we're struggling to break down teams like West Brom and Southampton at home on a dreary October night i'll basically look at why the f*cking hell we've got Phil Neville playing in midfield.

...And what makes you think we're gonna start the upcoming season like this? Everton don't thrive on healthy expectation.

They thrive on downright adversity...hence why when we're out of all cups and struggling in the league come the New Year we start to express ourselves a bit more by playing cracking football, the last 4 seasons have basically proven this.

If (I hope to GOD not when) we're struggling to break down teams like West Brom and Southampton at home on a dreary October night i'll basically look at why the f*cking hell we've got Phil Neville playing in midfield.

I can't predict the future, but I can refer to the past, and I have never seen an Everton side dominate so frequently than at the end of last season.

Other than at Man United, we were literally battering sides without them even having a sniff at goal.

I can't predict the future, but I can refer to the past, and I have never seen an Everton side dominate so frequently than at the end of last season.

Other than at Man United, we were literally battering sides without them even having a sniff at goal.

I remember two other games in there, we struggled at too. Against some team in red, I think.

I remember two other games in there, we struggled at too. Against some team in red, I think.

When the midfield was Neville and Gibson holding with Osman, Fellaini and Pienaar in front of them, we were at our best last season, Felli linked with Osman and Pienaar well and had greater freedom due to the discipline of Neville and Gibson.

I wholly see your point, and you're right, we truly were excellent, but that's dangerous stuff.

We shouldn't be building our centre midfield around a 35 year old full back, basically; Especially one that has the footballing ability of a breeze block, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.