2019/20 Bill Kenwright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Steve, you too.

It is quite commonly accepted that Bill wanted an investor as opposed to someone to take over. You can look at this both ways, on the one hand we avoided a poor take over, on the other who knows if he'd have been more willing to relinquish control we may have hit the big time earlier.

However the more I see of Moshiri the more I feel we are closer to that model than we probably first anticipated. I don't think Moshiri is massively uneasy by Bills presence. If he was Bill would be moved on.

I'd also say there is a reasonable position that could be developed that the issue Kenwright had was money. It's not my perspective by any means, but it's not a wholly unreasonable position. There was a stability to the club, and had Moyes have had more money to spend around 07 through to 09 who knows where we might have ended up?

As for now I agree with you that the chastening experience of Koeman and to a degree how it unravelled under Allardyce would have been quite telling for Moshiri. Ensuring stability at a club is difficult, and without it you are unlikely to be successful.

There are some positives (as well as negatives) about the old Everton (the Everton of Kenwright). Maybe Moshiri feels he can utilise some of the positive bits while helping to cover for some of the poorer bits?

It's my view a Chairman of Everton should be holding people to much higher standards. I think thats how we grow. But we have to see how Moshiri's position goes. It;'s been a good season, lets see if we can kick on again.

As for Leahy, if you double his salary he suddenly becomes interested in the job. In any job, anyone will listen to someone if their salary is doubled. I'm very happy in my role, but if someone offers to double my salary, I have a conversation with them. It gets trebled and I move. Leahy will not be on astronomical sums (the fees execs are paid compared to footballers is low, but the impact can be higher). Who knows he may even come as a none exec director, which would be useful.

Either way, finding 2-3-4 top draw people and paying them what they want to me would make a lot of sense.

Leahy would be an interesting one. The curt negative reply I got was quite a few years ago,when some of the usual suspects were suggesting him as an alternative to Bill. But then even though I opened with 'my wife was secretary to your lecturer/mentor at UMIST Manchester Business School' effectively it was just a bloke he didn't know asking him a quite personal question. I think Denise by international reputation is top draw..it was just luck for us and coincidental that she was already here. The worst scenario would have been to allow her to take up one of the many high profile commercial offers she had. The Russian on the board is probably Usamanovs man, and I'm OK with that, it keeps us in the focus of the Russion multi billionaire and he may move in on Everton directly one day. Brands appointment to the board is understandable from a footballing aspect. I think that was a Moshiri appointment directly. I'm not overly in favour of the Keith Harris appointment, he's always struck me as a bit of a chancer and I thought Bill had seen through him when Harris recommended the bedsit guy. Bill is a sentimentalist, but never forgives people who let him down, or who are disloyal. Is Harris still on the board...supervising the ground move? So I do think that appointments are moving in the right direction...I hope that those who are anti Denise don't feel that way 'cos she's a woman'...I wouldn't put it past many of them. Its a different world these days...Karen Brady has done OK, and Delia in her own way.

I think a lot of people who seem to hate Bill weren't around back then, the Johnson era was before there time. If it was Bill that crippled the club fair enough, but it was dead when he took over, at a time when there was no chance any buisness men would come in.

Even if that was the case, which I'm far from convinced of, there have been many missed opportunities since then. The one 'businessman' Bill did bring on board choked the life out of it. It was that era, post KD fiasco, right up to post DK fiasco that killed the optimism and opportunity in this club whi h I don't think will return fully until the actor has gone completely.

Danny, tradition never dies, if anyone knows about tradition it is someone from Northern Ireland. Success and tradition are different things. If a mega mega rich person bought us and immediately bought 16 players and we started winning trophies but stopped all the community work and the stuff that makes us Everton then that would be more damaging to our tradition. If we are to get to the top table again we will build our way up, we could be witnessing the start of a new era. We are Evertonians, we do things in the right way.
If we do things the right way, Everton Football Club I’m talking about, how do you explain the financial mess the club became after Kenwright took over as chairman, then we owned fully, our own ground, our training ground and we were in black at the bank, just before Mr. Moshiri bought us, the ground was well mortgaged, we had sold two training grounds, hiring another one out, owed the banks Brewsters and didn’t have the proverbial pot to p—s in, and this is doing things right, thank God we didn’t do it the wrong way.

I'm still genuinely confused how Kings Dock even got to a conceptualization phase when Bill knew he didn't have any money for it. Like, what was the point of even bringing it up? This was when I started following Everton so I don't know if there was a bunch more that I don't know.

I'm still genuinely confused how Kings Dock even got to a conceptualization phase when Bill knew he didn't have any money for it. Like, what was the point of even bringing it up? This was when I started following Everton so I don't know if there was a bunch more that I don't know.

Think he was under the assumption people would “lend” him the money without asking for anything in return except paying the money back.

From what I recall it came to stage of financing it and Bill had been promised the cash but whoever it was backing him asked for his shares in the club and wanted to be the majority shareholder. Gregg, Lloyd Webber?? These had been Bills wealthy mates at the time.

Bill decided he was more important than Everton progressing and getting waterfront stadium in a truly iconic spot in the city. And the rest they say is history...

Think he was under the assumption people would “lend” him the money without asking for anything in return except paying the money back.

From what I recall it came to stage of financing it and Bill had been promised the cash but whoever it was backing him asked for his shares in the club and wanted to be the majority shareholder. Gregg, Lloyd Webber?? These had been Bills wealthy mates at the time.

Bill decided he was more important than Everton progressing and getting waterfront stadium in a truly iconic spot in the city. And the rest they say is history...
I know Gregg was asking for his shares but, again, how did Bill have any sense to try to build a stadium when HE KNEW he had 0 capital for it?

The fact that he wasn't ran out of town is beyond me.

I know Gregg was asking for his shares but, again, how did Bill have any sense to try to build a stadium when HE KNEW he had 0 capital for it?

The fact that he wasn't ran out of town is beyond me.

He thought he was getting the cash to build it only then to be asked for his shares at the last minute. He refused and it fell apart.

Loads of spin mate that would make Gobbels proud. Mortgage his house to save the club ect, biggest blue on the planet. The list is endless.

This isn’t a Bill bashing post. He has done some very good things for Everton especially around the community side of things.
However for 20 years it can’t be denied he held the club back when there had been clear opportunities for the club to progress which he held back for his own ends.

Plus there was a lot of apathy around the club at the time due to how we were playing. Staying in the league was the fans priority rather than what was happening in the board room.

Wrong. The money was to come from the bank, but Gregg wanted ownership of the property, and eventually the bank pulled the plug on Bills loan. Bills mistake was using the phrase 'ring fenced' when he should have said 'Barclays have promised to support us provided we are part owners at least' Gregg wanted everything and under his terms Everton could have been in serious trouble quite quickly. Gregg was hardly a self made man. It was Bill Kenwright who made him what he was. Gregg used to buy up run down or closed theatres and refurbish them, and then put Bills touring versions of successful West End shows into these theatres. His business and financial clout was built on the back of Bill Kenwrights expertise in his core business. Have a look at how 'successful' Gregg was at Sheffield Wednesday!

If we do things the right way, Everton Football Club I’m talking about, how do you explain the financial mess the club became after Kenwright took over as chairman, then we owned fully, our own ground, our training ground and we were in black at the bank, just before Mr. Moshiri bought us, the ground was well mortgaged, we had sold two training grounds, hiring another one out, owed the banks Brewsters and didn’t have the proverbial pot to p—s in, and this is doing things right, thank God we didn’t do it the wrong way.

i don't equate doing the right thing to always turning a profit.

Leahy would be an interesting one. The curt negative reply I got was quite a few years ago,when some of the usual suspects were suggesting him as an alternative to Bill. But then even though I opened with 'my wife was secretary to your lecturer/mentor at UMIST Manchester Business School' effectively it was just a bloke he didn't know asking him a quite personal question. I think Denise by international reputation is top draw..it was just luck for us and coincidental that she was already here. The worst scenario would have been to allow her to take up one of the many high profile commercial offers she had. The Russian on the board is probably Usamanovs man, and I'm OK with that, it keeps us in the focus of the Russion multi billionaire and he may move in on Everton directly one day. Brands appointment to the board is understandable from a footballing aspect. I think that was a Moshiri appointment directly. I'm not overly in favour of the Keith Harris appointment, he's always struck me as a bit of a chancer and I thought Bill had seen through him when Harris recommended the bedsit guy. Bill is a sentimentalist, but never forgives people who let him down, or who are disloyal. Is Harris still on the board...supervising the ground move? So I do think that appointments are moving in the right direction...I hope that those who are anti Denise don't feel that way 'cos she's a woman'...I wouldn't put it past many of them. Its a different world these days...Karen Brady has done OK, and Delia in her own way.

The situation for the club has changed radically since then. As I indicated the pay package on offer could be competitive to him. I see he earned around 5 million in terms of salary and shares last year, we could offer him close to that as a basic with bonuses attached to increasing the clubs off the field income. You see the impact Moores has had at Liverpool and I think someone of Leahy's ilk could really drive the club forward.

The point is a bit broader than that though, we just ned quality people. I know Tony Bellew is close to Eddie Hearn. Not everyone's cup of tea, but an excellent communicator and someone who has turned boxing around (also seems to have a soft spot for the City). I'd like to see him on board in terms of sales/marketing. You get a couple of guys like that on the board and it will certainly help drive the club forward.

The current make up seems to work. I agree re Usmanov and the Russian guy, all reports are he is competent. I'd like to see more deals done though. Harris I think has blamed his way on (but does appear close to Ryzanstev). I share your assessment of him. He's the sort of guy, who will tell you any success at any business he has been at is his success, but you find out with further digging while he was there he wasn't central to it. I think he's disposable to be honest, but do think his role will be to help with funding for the stadium (which hasn't been an overawing success if we are honest).

As for Denise I have my doubts, be she's an excellent communicator. I wasn't aware she was being headhunted but thats always a good sign. I think we need to bulk up the board though to help her. Someone like Leahy as a none exec directed or consultant, and Hearne in sales and marketing could do that.

As a final aside, I've seen Leahy in his latest post has driven up revenues by 3 times in 18 months. That is the sort of aggressive approach to our off field approach we need to emulate. I sense Denise may be best working on top of someone like that ideally communicating and being a front person.

The situation for the club has changed radically since then. As I indicated the pay package on offer could be competitive to him. I see he earned around 5 million in terms of salary and shares last year, we could offer him close to that as a basic with bonuses attached to increasing the clubs off the field income. You see the impact Moores has had at Liverpool and I think someone of Leahy's ilk could really drive the club forward.

The point is a bit broader than that though, we just ned quality people. I know Tony Bellew is close to Eddie Hearn. Not everyone's cup of tea, but an excellent communicator and someone who has turned boxing around (also seems to have a soft spot for the City). I'd like to see him on board in terms of sales/marketing. You get a couple of guys like that on the board and it will certainly help drive the club forward.

The current make up seems to work. I agree re Usmanov and the Russian guy, all reports are he is competent. I'd like to see more deals done though. Harris I think has blamed his way on (but does appear close to Ryzanstev). I share your assessment of him. He's the sort of guy, who will tell you any success at any business he has been at is his success, but you find out with further digging while he was there he wasn't central to it. I think he's disposable to be honest, but do think his role will be to help with funding for the stadium (which hasn't been an overawing success if we are honest).

As for Denise I have my doubts, be she's an excellent communicator. I wasn't aware she was being headhunted but thats always a good sign. I think we need to bulk up the board though to help her. Someone like Leahy as a none exec directed or consultant, and Hearne in sales and marketing could do that.

As a final aside, I've seen Leahy in his latest post has driven up revenues by 3 times in 18 months. That is the sort of aggressive approach to our off field approach we need to emulate. I sense Denise may be best working on top of someone like that ideally communicating and being a front person.

The Hearn family are or were associated with Leyton Orient. I've a feeling they sold out last year, but could be wrong, I'm to busy at present to check.Denise has been 'one to watch' for a few years, and was in the running at least for a few top jobs, companies as big as Shell. Shes another graduate of UMIST like Leahy advised/taught/lectured whatever they do by the redoubtable Prof Sir Cary Cooper an American whos been here many years and is now a British citizen. Man City supporter as well! May not be on here tomorrow, have dialysis and a busy day ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.