Big Nev, best in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Staff member

Been done before but hey, it's the close season and nothing's doing and I think it'd be good to use the dead time to appreciate the good points and players of Everton, so let's look at the best goalkeeper there has ever been.

I was lucky enough to have seen him in his '80's best, yet even in his later career he was still better than a lot of goalies. In the post match interview after the '95 FA Cup final, a beaten and trophy-less Alex Ferguson spoke about Nev with a smile on his face, unable to hide the appreciation for the talent he still possessed.

Kevin Ratcliffe says that at one stage, Howard Kendall told the players in certain areas not to risk booking/red cards from rash tackles, but just to let the opposition shoot, as they were 99% sure Nev would save it.

Best player I've ever seen.

....world class is a phrase too often bandied about but in this instance it is perfectly appropriate.

I had access to Bellefield and to watch him making save after save in a repetitive session with Mick Lyons blasting the ball at him from 7 yards was amazing. It got to a point were incredible saves were taken for granted.

Reactions: kev

It really was an exhilarating feeling watching him at his prime, knowing we were privileged as Evertonians to have the best player in the world in his position playing for us.

Just the best.

The only other time I felt that way as was with Lineker as our striker, although there may be some that would dispute that.

Southall was indisputable.

It really was an exhilarating feeling watching him at his prime, knowing we were privileged as Evertonians to have the best player in the world in his position playing for us.

Just the best.

The only other time I felt that way as was with Lineker as our striker, although there may be some that would dispute that.

Southall was indisputable.

In his prime Neville Southall WAS indisputably the best goalkeeper in the world. The fact that he was playing his club football at Everton throughout that time makes him stand out head and shoulders over all our 'legends'

Would love to have him back in coaching capacity, but no way you can teach that, as many of said it was just natural talent.

I still firmly believe the last trophy we won was down to him and the saves he made, not to take anything away from the rest of the team though.

Status
Not open for further replies.