Big Bob Latch

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue_aussie05

Player Valuation: £8m
Am going to an event in a few months time.

For those who remember him, who would you liken Latchford to in this modern era? I cant really think of anyone these days that reminds me of him.

Am going to an event in a few months time.

For those who remember him, who would you liken Latchford to in this modern era? I cant really think of anyone these days that reminds me of him.
You need a Dave Thomas : a winger who can beat a man and find somebody in the box. They've gone out of fashion so the target man, if you have one, is usually pacy/made to hold the ball up.

The Latch pure goal poacher, Dave Thomas was a fantastic supplier for him - great finisher, a bit like Rush in that he was always in the right place at the right time a prolific goal scorer for the blues under Gordon Lee we deserved a trophy, as it was a team that deserved more, his 30 goals in a season was a fantastic feat!

I hated Bob when he first came because my idol Howard Kendall was part of the deal. I soon grew to love him though, he was a great striker him and Dave Thomas were pure magic together. I will never forget the 30 goals i ended up getting pissed after the game, i slept at one of my mate's
and i am still trying to get back in the wife's good books. Oh happy days.

I remember the season after his 30 goals , Dave Thomas used to be targeted and marked/assaulted out of the game and the goals dried up , shame as their was a lot of optimism ahead of that season only to be brought back to Earth when Forest trounced us first game of the season .....and Elvis had just died !
But we had just signed Mickey Walsh , who was up their with Claus Thomsen , the King derby , however , gave us hope.

I hated Bob when he first came because my idol Howard Kendall was part of the deal. I soon grew to love him though, he was a great striker him and Dave Thomas were pure magic together. I will never forget the 30 goals i ended up getting pissed after the game, i slept at one of my mate's
and i am still trying to get back in the wife's good books. Oh happy days.
I hated him as I knew he was going to replace my hero Joe Royle, they were totally different types of no 9 - Joe was a grafter and ran everywhere - The Latch proved me wrong with his prowess to score for fun two great number 9s totally different in style but both great goal scorers in blues history behind Sharpy and the great Dixie Dean!

My first blue hero. Adored him, Dave Thomas too. Never pulled my socks up when I played, still don't.

Met Bob many years later and was pure starstruck. I was 27, couldn't speak, just beam a big stupid grin and said "wow, big bob"

Nobody will ever compare to him.

EVER.

I remember the season after his 30 goals , Dave Thomas used to be targeted and marked/assaulted out of the game and the goals dried up , shame as their was a lot of optimism ahead of that season only to be brought back to Earth when Forest trounced us first game of the season .....and Elvis had just died !
But we had just signed Mickey Walsh , who was up their with Claus Thomsen , the King derby , however , gave us hope.
Aaah Mickey Walsh,I really felt sorry for him,he used to give 100% and put a real shift in just couldn't hit the target,used to hit the bar/post,keeper would pull off miraculous saves on a weekly basis,the crowd were with him too and were willing him to come good,just never happened for the lad unfortunately.

Forest beat us 3-1 first game of the season 77-78 (my first game at Goodison) which was the same season Bob scored his 30 goals. The following season, as you say we bought Mike Walsh and also Colin Todd because Lee wanted us to play from the back more. This less direct approach possibly slowed down our attacks a bit. This, together with the (again, as you mentioned) targeting of Dave Thomas and tighter marking of big Bob definitely led to more problems in front of goal.

Big Bob Latchfords got a ten foot willy
And he showed it to the lady next door
She thought it was a snake
So she hit it with a rake
..and now its only five foot four !

Davy Thomas didn't wear shinny's I'm sure,his knees used to be cut to ribbons by the hatchet men of that era!

Status
Not open for further replies.