2023/24 Beto

Something that struck me but got lost in the result is it felt like we played less hoofball to Beto that we usually do to DCL? Thought we at least tried to play a bit even if the quality of players produced mixed results when we did. Could be an added reason to keep Beto in and try to improve that aspect.

Something that struck me but got lost in the result is it felt like we played less hoofball to Beto that we usually do to DCL? Thought we at least tried to play a bit even if the quality of players produced mixed results when we did. Could be an added reason to keep Beto in and try to improve that aspect.
When Gomes came on as well we tried to play the ball forward, obviously he can't last 90 minutes but he could be useful coming off the bench for the last 20

The gameplan with DCL is 100% hoofball hold up play but the problem is that he never wins the ball and doesn't have a good touch to hold it up? Results in him being isolated up top and getting 1 or 2 chances per match to score, which he doesn't. When Beto plays everyone recognises that he's a lummocks and passes it through for him to outmuscle anyone and outsprint anyone. He's just not a hold up player at all but I think we look way better with BLB in the side

The gameplan with DCL is 100% hoofball hold up play but the problem is that he never wins the ball and doesn't have a good touch to hold it up? Results in him being isolated up top and getting 1 or 2 chances per match to score, which he doesn't. When Beto plays everyone recognises that he's a lummocks and passes it through for him to outmuscle anyone and outsprint anyone. He's just not a hold up player at all but I think we look way better with BLB in the side
I actually think DCL does do the target man stuff pretty well and wins a good number of his aerial duels but when we can’t get anyone near him there’s not much he can do with them. But yeah, I agree that although / because he’s not as good at it having Beto in the side actually may work better for the team. At least forces us to try something different.

spot on, sad that a large number of people simply can't recognize that

I think yesterday's
I think in terms of attacking, creating chances, using full backs in attacks, short passing and possession it was our best game in 2024. In fact, we didn't win another time, but for the first time in a while having way more opportunities than the opponent, but them being ice cold.

Hopefully he gets given a run of games. Let's see how many goals he can score in a run if 5 games and see if our fortunes improve.

He really could be on about 6/7 goals already if hed just showed a little more composure at times. Off the top of my head, i remember him having big chances against Brentford away, Forest away, Fulham away, Brighton away and could have easily walked off with the match ball.

So he's definitely getting into positions to score, it's just the quality isn't there. With DCL it's 100% confidence. That shot DCL had yesterday edge of the box, scuffs it like an under 9s player.
He deserves 20 mate, just like Dcl

The isolation of DCL was a tactical problem mostly, but not the return of goals. He is 19th in taking shots, 10th at xG in the league, 7 less goals than expected, 20 games without a goal with 3 goals all season, as the main striker. Would be a different story, if he had 10 goals at 15 x goals, like Nunez or Jackson. I am happy that he has been fit for half a year, but it was overdue to drop him.

Beto also missed too many chances, but he got a goal at least in the first starting in months.

….its amazing how many professional footballers we have who struggle to strike a football. It’s a basic that footballers at that level strike a ball cleanly but look at Beto, Onana and Godfrey this afternoon. Awful.
The Godfrey one burnt my head out, its something you get taught at u11s, head over the ball, you don't have to aim if you're not at that level. Just get your head over the ball and give yourself a chance ffs

The Godfrey one burnt my head out, its something you get taught at u11s, head over the ball, you don't have to aim if you're not at that level. Just get your head over the ball and give yourself a chance ffs

100% I think Godfrey thinks the goal posts have moved 14ft to his right as that's the only explanation I have when it comes to him blammoing it in that direction.

Either that or he was trying to take someone's head off in the street end.

Lukaku has a £37 million release clause from chelsea.

Summer 2023 - Beto & Chermiti (£26m & £12m respectively) or the big Belgian hulk?