Best 11 of the last 20 years (in theory)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lukaku was the best goalscorer we’ve had this century by a mile (Yakubu is second and some way behind), how anyone can think Francis Jeffers was better is unbelievable.

Great team no doubt but surely Rooney beats Cahill every day?

Would also worry any team Lukaku is in is good for Rom but offsets the balance of the rest of the team to play to his strengths (and cover his weaknesses)?
Cahill is a club legend, Rooney is kinda but his best years were at united

Howard

Coleman
Jagielka
Lescott
Baines

idrissa gueye

Arteta
Fellani
Piennar

Cahill

lukaku

I’ve gone for a weird narrow midfield based formation of
4-1-3-1-1

With subs

Martyn
Yobo
Stones
Osman
Fellaini
Richarlison
Rooney

Good bit to pick through here, is Jeffers really better than Lukaku? You left out Pienearr and Cahill, Yobo was a CB and was good CB but no way he's a better RB than Coleman he's not even in our 2 best CB's in your time frame, Roberto as Manager have you been injecting illegal substances?

My supervisor had 4 kids and became gay in the 1980,s era - still the same guy and a good person- private lives should be private - not once did he discuss it with everyone...
He was a great guy, and it never bothered me some of the workforce had the odd sly jib with each other at first then it was just accepted.....

You don't "become" gay Joey! :oops: :D

Cahill is a club legend, Rooney is kinda but his best years were at united

I think Rooney still played a decent enough number of games for us to count. Agree of course his best years were away.

Cahill never a club legend in my book. Presume you must be in your 20s/30s and/or an Aussie?! He had a bit of personality that I'm sure appealed to some but I thought he was bang average and his status as an important player for us at that time says more of our own poor standing than his. There's a reason no club ever came in for him after he landed from Millwall.

Good bit to pick through here, is Jeffers really better than Lukaku? You left out Pienearr and Cahill, Yobo was a CB and was good CB but no way he's a better RB than Coleman he's not even in our 2 best CB's in your time frame, Roberto as Manager have you been injecting illegal substances?

I love Coleman for club and country but had Yobo as the better defender. In that team there's enough attacking talent elsewhere!

Richarlison > Piennar.....it’s not really even close.

It’s the old argument but I think people are looking at Piennar’s time here through rose tinted glasses.

Piennar was a lovely player on the eye but he didn’t win games. His numbers were poor and this was the reason he failed when just being best of the rest wasn’t acceptable.

See Bernard also, another player I love but he needs to improve his output.

Richarlison > both of them.

You don't "become" gay Joey! :oops: :D

I think Rooney still played a decent enough number of games for us to count. Agree of course his best years were away.

Cahill never a club legend in my book. Presume you must be in your 20s/30s and/or an Aussie?! He had a bit of personality that I'm sure appealed to some but I thought he was bang average and his status as an important player for us at that time says more of our own poor standing than his. There's a reason no club ever came in for him after he landed from Millwall.

I love Coleman for club and country but had Yobo as the better defender. In that team there's enough attacking talent elsewhere!
Hilbert then rather than sticking a CB in at that position if you are totally against having Coleman in.

Remembering Franny Jeffers got me thinking. So who could have made our best recent team if it had all clicked and their potential and time together had all worked out?

GK: Martyn

RB: Yobo
CB: Stones
CB: Lescott
LB: Baines

LW: Richarlison
CM: Gueye
CM: Arteta
RW: Deulofeu

CF: Rooney
CF: Jeffers

Manager: Roberto

In my opinion all those had/have world class potential. I've ignored likes of Gascoigne and Eto on grounds they were token gestures at the fag end of their careers.

The sad thing is, we could take a composite team over the last 30 years and it wouldn't be good enough to win the league.

Remembering Franny Jeffers got me thinking. So who could have made our best recent team if it had all clicked and their potential and time together had all worked out?

GK: Martyn

RB: Yobo
CB: Stones
CB: Lescott
LB: Baines

LW: Richarlison
CM: Gueye
CM: Arteta
RW: Deulofeu

CF: Rooney
CF: Jeffers

Manager: Roberto

In my opinion all those had/have world class potential. I've ignored likes of Gascoigne and Eto on grounds they were token gestures at the fag end of their careers.
Jeffers seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.