2023/24 Ben Godfrey

I watched Godfrey at Shrewsbury for a full season in centre midfield. He was an absolute beast in league one often breaking up play and driving forwards. I doubt he’s got the quality on the ball to play in there in the premier league but it’s another option if we need it. Honest player and needs games wherever he plays.

Paterson is good going forward and far better on the ball than Godfrey - think he’s got two assists in the league from little league game time. Godfrey looked like a centre back going forward last night, albeit a quick centre back. Fullback was one of the key areas for us to attack last night and playing a centre back there was absolutely the epitome of cowardice.
He isn't good going forward. He is better on the ball thats why I said Godfrey offered as much but in a different way because he was running with the ball and getting us further up the pitch which Patterson doesn't do. Patterson has 2 assists for Everton only one is related to going forward the other one was a simple ball down the line from his own half that anybody could play i'm not saying this to make Patterson sound bad its just not true that he is good going forward even though people quite often say it.

I like him.

We're doing what we do, and not giving players the best platform to develop.

We're asking him to fill in, and fair play - he never hides. Always gives it everything.

But he's not a full back.
I think at the top level he is just a player who can do a job in a few positions I don't think he's good enough to be a first choice centre half in the Premier League so if he wants to play at that level versatility is his best chance. Its quite common to have that sort of utility player its not just Everton who have these players.

Apart from one moment in the first half when he dived in and got turned he was quite disciplined throughout.

He is not a great footballer but now that his pace is returning he should be encouraged to move us at speed up the pitch. He can get us 30-40 yards up the pitch in seconds which is something no else can do.

He is committed and threw himself at the ball in a scramble after a corner that he was unlucky not to connect with.

He isn't good going forward. He is better on the ball thats why I said Godfrey offered as much but in a different way because he was running with the ball and getting us further up the pitch which Patterson doesn't do. Patterson has 2 assists for Everton only one is related to going forward the other one was a simple ball down the line from his own half that anybody could play i'm not saying this to make Patterson sound bad its just not true that he is good going forward even though people quite often say it.
Paterson is good going forward, if you’ve watched him before he joined us or for Scotland. I don’t think our manager wants fullbacks offering an overlap, he prioritises keeping defensive shape so that aspect of his game isn’t showing.

Ultimately you can’t play a centre back at fullback against a team like Palace at home and then moan, like Dyche did in his post match interview, that it’s difficult to break down a team that sits in their own half. Completely ignoring his selections in the wide areas, where there was space to attack, were ultra conservative. Equally, complaining that we just didn’t have the quality in the final cross/pass doesn’t wash when it’s a centre back, he selected, making the passes/crosses.

If Dyche wants his fullbacks to be centre backs then he would be as well playing someone like Godfrey, he was solid and did a solid job. Want to beat teams that come and play like Palace, can’t be happy about setting up with centre backs in the fullback positions, he’s got to be braver.

Honestly, stats are a complete waste of time for some things. For years Pienaar was criticised for lacking goals and assists (people actually coined the phrase assists the assister to try to create a stat for him) but anyone who understands football and watched him play new he was absolutely fundamental to our attacking play for years and when he was missing we were never the same team. Patterson is much much better on the ball than Godfrey and Myko. Players trust him to retain possession so they will pass to him more and they will also make runs off him into space which moves us forward as a team. If the ball goes to Myko or Godfrey the entire teams stops and all attacking momentum is lost because all of the players know only one of three things will happen, backwards safe pass, clip down the line to know one or a more progressive pass with a high of losing the ball. It completely stalls us as an attacking force because we are playing with at least two plays less in possession. Godfrey doing the occasional power sprint forward into space does nothing to overcome the bigger issue. Patterson doesn’t need to be the one scoring or assisting. He gives a platform in possession for others to do that. Our best attacking play of the season was Villa away with Patterson, Harrison, Garner and Onana all linking and passing effectively down our right hand side. I don’t think Patterson had any assists or goals that day but his ability on the ball was fundamental to us playing well and wouldn’t have been replicated by Godfrey.

I think at the top level he is just a player who can do a job in a few positions I don't think he's good enough to be a first choice centre half in the Premier League so if he wants to play at that level versatility is his best chance. Its quite common to have that sort of utility player its not just Everton who have these players.
He has not good enough full stop. He has the pace to play in the premier league but that’s it. He doesn’t have the craft to play. And that’s not just lack of ball skills. It’s the other parts like positioning, anticipation and reading the game which he lacks and can’t really be taught.

….i can understand why a few clubs were interested in taking him.

Yes and Atalanta could have got him for £15mil but for Italian tax laws changing.

If we were offered £15mil in the summer id be tempted to give him a 3 year extension.

Competition to Patterson / Mykolenko and a 4th choice CB.

Move on Coleman / Young / Holgate / Keane and we'd just need another player who can cover full back and centre back areas & either a loan or development player.

Yes and Atalanta could have got him for £15mil but for Italian tax laws changing.

If we were offered £15mil in the summer id be tempted to give him a 3 year extension.

Competition to Patterson / Mykolenko and a 4th choice CB.

Move on Coleman / Young / Holgate / Keane and we'd just need another player who can cover full back and centre back areas & either a loan or development player.

….i can’t see Patterson being part of any future plans, says everything the number of players getting selected ahead of him.

Played OK tonight tonight. Still believe he is not a CB and never will be. Bit old fashioned for me booting the ball out of touch when under slight pressure....'ave it'.

Looks like he is getting back to his old self...not a compliment because his old self is average.

He still has to step up but I can only see him as a FB and never a CB

That corner they nearly scored from where Young cleared it off the mine. That was Godfreys man and I've noticed when he jumps to win a header, he actually ducks his head a little. Its not a one off either as I've noticed it the few times he's played this season. It's not that he's trying to avoid the ball either, it's like a wierd tick that when he jumps and tries to stretch, his head actually sinks in like a tortoise head would.

I watched Godfrey at Shrewsbury for a full season in centre midfield. He was an absolute beast in league one often breaking up play and driving forwards. I doubt he’s got the quality on the ball to play in there in the premier league but it’s another option if we need it. Honest player and needs games wherever he plays.
I'd like to see him given a shot there too
his passing can't be as bad as Doucs(effective in his own way) and would definitely bring an energy.