2020/21 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tackle on Shakira - Christ, it's like the footage has been doctored he moves that quickly to nail him, it's like the feckin matrix!

Aside from how well he's done since signing, I absolutely love his attitude, enthusiasm and will to win - he gets Everton.

With a bit of luck and his continued hard work, the lad could end up Carlo's Everton's version of Maldini or Nesta, I think he's that good.

It really was like the Matrix, like missing 5 frames as he's moved from one place to another.

That's a match winning tackle, not a last ditch kind but the kind the opposition see and go "nah I don't fancy any of that"

Like @catcherintherye said, it's the first time in a long time we looked physically stronger and bigger than them

Its so important that Holgate, Davies, DCL are in the team - if we have little groups (but not cliques) of friends & international team mates it definitely will help the team bonding, and he's obviously been inducted into the Everton spirit. Brilliant! As effective a signing as Allan, Doucoure & James!

A few posters have wondered why Aarons goals/assists are quite low...

Any thoughts on that? Seems strange for an attacking right back...

Godfrey is incredible...i think everyone (apart from @Neiler ) is shocked at just how good he is :eek:
He is a very attacking full-back. Possibly the reason why he doesn't get credited with many assists is that we tend to (over-???) play in front of goal, so although he may be a key part of the build-up to the goal in opening up the defence he doesn't play the final pass for the assist.

It really was like the Matrix, like missing 5 frames as he's moved from one place to another.

That's a match winning tackle, not a last ditch kind but the kind the opposition see and go "nah I don't fancy any of that"

Like @catcherintherye said, it's the first time in a long time we looked physically stronger and bigger than them

It's funny really, that I think back to the team that won in 1999 and had a similar feeling. I seem to remember Abel Xavier playing well on the right wing. Dunne played right back.

In the Moyes time, we would look organised, but rarely as big or powerful as them. But yesterday we really did.

Even off the bench when we bring on DCL and Iwobi, and to a degree Sigurdsson who is very tall (compared to Shaqiri). There was just height, power and pace through the team.

It's funny really, that I think back to the team that won in 1999 and had a similar feeling. I seem to remember Abel Xavier playing well on the right wing. Dunne played right back.

In the Moyes time, we would look organised, but rarely as big or powerful as them. But yesterday we really did.

Even off the bench when we bring on DCL and Iwobi, and to a degree Sigurdsson who is very tall (compared to Shaqiri). There was just height, power and pace through the team.

Aye mate, we've had decent sides but we've had sides woth the likes of Baines, Hibbert, Osman, Pienaar, Arteta. Not big, physical players ( the majority were great ball playing players ) but physically we could get overrun of we weren't right at it.

That's why Doucoure makes a big difference as well. He was awful on the ball for about an hour on Saturday but physically was still eating up space like there was no tomorrow. In full flow he cant half travel with the ball and thats someone we haven't had in a long time. I think Davies really enjoys playing with him, they seem to have a bit of trust between the pair of them. You see the different when Gomes is there ir Glyfi drops back in, there is no chemistry.

As soon as DCL came on I said to my son there's no way we are losing this. He looked head and shoulders above all of them not just physically, but presence wise as well. That kid has come on AND THEN SOME!

Aye mate, we've had decent sides but we've had sides woth the likes of Baines, Hibbert, Osman, Pienaar, Arteta. Not big, physical players ( the majority were great ball playing players ) but physically we could get overrun of we weren't right at it.

That's why Doucoure makes a big difference as well. He was awful on the ball for about an hour on Saturday but physically was still eating up space like there was no tomorrow. In full flow he cant half travel with the ball and thats someone we haven't had in a long time. I think Davies really enjoys playing with him, they seem to have a bit of trust between the pair of them. You see the different when Gomes is there ir Glyfi drops back in, there is no chemistry.

As soon as DCL came on I said to my son there's no way we are losing this. He looked head and shoulders above all of them not just physically, but presence wise as well. That kid has come on AND THEN SOME!

I remember being frustrated in the first half that Doucoure kept giving away possession bit was confident he'd win the ball back in tackles or getting to the ball first with his long legs!

That tackle from Godfrey looked aggressive but he won the ball and I don't think he touched the player at all. But it must've been noticeable on field to opponents. It was a one of the defining moments of the game for me yet surprisingly doesn't seem to feature in match highlights.

I did a quick look at aerial stats for both teams (% aerial duels qon), which is one measure of it. Basically our lowest player is ranked 38% in the position he played, and that is Richarlison, who when comapred to support stirkers actually goes to a 55%. Gomes ranks at 46%, but in his career has sometimes been a 70% guy in Spain, so is probably just under utilised here. Everyone else is 50% plus. We have 6 out of 10 at 70%. 5 at 77%+ and 3 lads who are 90%+

Liverpool have 1 guy who was above 55% (Kabak). They have 4 in the lowest quarter (25%) and Henderson is only spared that fate as he makes so few headers (he's in the bottom 1% for headers made, but technically doesn't lose many as he doesnt make any). We don't have any players in the lowest 1/4 and 9 out of their outfield 10 were 55% and below (only 2 were anove half way).

I mean it's only 1 stat but I think shows physically how much bigger and stronger we were. We brought on 3 lads who are 6ft + while they brought on Shaqiri which sort of summed it up as well.

I remember being frustrated in the first half that Doucoure kept giving away possession bit was confident he'd win the ball back in tackles or getting to the ball first with his long legs!

That tackle from Godfrey looked aggressive but he won the ball and I don't think he touched the player at all. But it must've been noticeable on field to opponents. It was a one of the defining moments of the game for me yet surprisingly doesn't seem to feature in match highlights.

I cant remember Shaqiri touching the ball after that. The little hobbit must have left a little pile of rabbit poo pellets just as Godfrey came into his eye line.

Status
Not open for further replies.