2020/21 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Godfrey reminds me a bit of Des Walker at Forest. Proper defender bags of pace, nothing gets past him. You could say the same thing about Kevin Ratcliffe and Gary Stevens. Pace to burn.

Rats and Des Walker are the two players I compare him to as well.
Pace to burn off any striker or winger.
His pace isn't like DCL where he takes a few strides to get up to speed.
He hits top pace instantly and he's got gears to go through.
A real speed merchant.

Glad he's ours.

Can't watch the Carragher clip because it is geolocked but I feel like positioning is definitely his weakest point but he usually overcomes it with his athleticism. That'll be harder to do at CB though.
Sort of, Carragher says for United's first goal he was too focussed on Cavani and should have filled the space on the left which would have discouraged runners to go there for United.

Sort of, Carragher says for United's first goal he was too focussed on Cavani and should have filled the space on the left which would have discouraged runners to go there for United.
Honestly I more noticed it against Leeds where I thought a lot of there crosses got into dangerous areas where Keane and Mina usually get to them on the near side and clear them. It's a small thing.

Can cover anywhere in the back 4 and DM. I just hope he isn't constantly moved about. Once we have a couple more players in he should go to centre back and only play other positions in emergencies. He is 6 foot so small for a CB but tall enough and has pace and strength. He also looks like a talker so could be a future captain.

One of my favourite things is when other teams try to play the ball in behind and he just puts on the afterburners. He's just ridiculously quick.

Imagine if we had another defender with his pace. Could camp on the half way line and have them sweep up any balls over the top.

I think Holgate will improve because of Godfrey. He has to keep his place in this little team of 4 CBs and he's not the first reserve any more. It's great !

Must admit, this is the signing that has surprised me most, don't recall him for Norwich at all. What a player he is though, what potential he has to become one of the best.

I am really enjoying watching our surprise package, absolute beast mode.

Potentially going to be our best cb in the very near future
Our best right back right now
Probably our best left back defensive wise
Can he play in goal?

I feel that the recovery pace in the centre back position is a better attribute, Godfrey's tenacity and ability to cut out balls behind the back four works better for the team as we're less flat footed and allows him to break into midfield with the ball. Holgate is solid enough at RB until a new option arrives summertime.
Holgate really isn't solid enough. Teams target our right side, as Coleman is slower these days and never did block crosses, and Holgate is too casual and has a mistake in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.