2020/21 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree Digne has to play. His creativity is unmatched in our team going forward. However, I'd take Godfrey's defending miles over Digne's. I know y'all rate him as "the league's best LB", but he's mostly inconsistent on his defending, whereas Godfrey is a much more natural defender, IMO. Could Digne ever play winger? *ducks and covers*
Diane is doing 2 jobs both as attacker and defender. Godfrey has got a role in the team and will be great cover for Digne and Coleman if required. But he will be 1st choice centre back when he beds in.

Maybe put him in the middle. As good as he’s been defensively he offers zero going forwards and as we’ve seen lately our creativity is also zero. One of the best LB’s in the league must come back in when fit.
I agree with the sentiment but Godfrey does offer something going forwards, at least twice a match he goes on a pacy marauding run which gets a free kick or two. Still can’t wait to have Digne back and Godfrey doing beast-mode elsewhere on the pitch.

I agree with the sentiment but Godfrey does offer something going forwards, at least twice a match he goes on a pacy marauding run which gets a free kick or two. Still can’t wait to have Digne back and Godfrey doing beast-mode elsewhere on the pitch.

I don’t think one won free-kick per match constitutes an attacking contribution mate haha. It’s not his fault like; it’s not his position.

So it seems the consensus is that once Digne is back fit, he comes in at LB straight away, and Godfrey will be able to compete for a starting CB spot. As he doesn't offer enough in attack going forward to play long term at LB or DM, but he can definitely do a job there in the short term if called upon.

so which of our other CB's do you think he would pair with best based on what we've seen from him thus far?

So it seems the consensus is that once Digne is back fit, he comes in at LB straight away, and Godfrey will be able to compete for a starting CB spot. As he doesn't offer enough in attack going forward to play long term at LB or DM, but he can definitely do a job there in the short term if called upon.

so which of our other CB's do you think he would pair with best based on what we've seen from him thus far?
The hipsters will say Holgate.
The smart people will say Keane.
The crazy people will say Mina.

Keane is the most consistent.
Holgate is still learning
And Mina is a bit erratic at times.

But for me we have 4 very good options.

I agree with all of your points. Keane is unmatched in his consistency and positional awareness. As we saw with the United Tie, he can have some sporadic erratic touches, but all players do at some point.
Mina has been really strong for about the last 5 weeks, but I agree, he gets caught with his head in the clouds still too much. Holgate is a great sub, but 90 mins from him at CB can have a lot of different results.

that being said, offering Godfrey a pairing mate with the consistency of Keane is preferred. Plus with ball distribution and forward passing, Godfrey will offer that occasional speed burst forward, while Keane's strength going forward is the opposite in that he can hoof it and find DCL on the regular. I would like to see those strengths paired in the center.

Spot on... goat. Midfield and upfront is where the money needs to be spent

I was thinking this earlier. I reasoned Minas ceiling is higher than Keane, but Keane is more consistent. So a tough one. Can Mina maintain this level for 12 months, as Keane has done?

Status
Not open for further replies.