Bellamy almost signing for us in 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoysInBlue

Player Valuation: £50m
Thought this was interesting, in tomorrow's Mirror, extract from his book:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/craig-bellamy-autobiography-david-moyes-1922837?

Says he was all set to sign for us after a first meeting with Moyes. Even brought his packed suitcase with him to the second meeting with Moyes, convinced he'd be signing there and then, only for Moyes to start detailing lists of rules he must follow.

Maybe Alan Shearer had a word in Moyes' ear and put him off.

You do wonder though, if we'd signed Bellamy, if we'd have beaten Villareal and made the CL group stage, and what effect that would have had on the club to kick on.

Last edited:
Dunno what happened, but whoever told him to avoid him deserves a round of applause, Belamy is a nightmare character to manage in a squad built on squad morale.

I am usually against signing this kind of players, but - unlike Joey Barton for example - Bellamy have something which probably would make me seriously enjoy watching him if he would play for us. And I don't think he's a headcase, I think it's more of a short temper issue, too bad it's not possible to be fixed as well. For starters headcases don't do half of the charity work he's doing.

i like bellamy because he wears his heart on his sleeve for my country. Not sure if i could like him if he were at everton though, think he'd drive me bananas

Bellamy is a born and bread "I want to win at all cost's type of player"Who does not give a toss who he upset and he could argue with a brick wall-some just dont seem to be bothered at all when they are on the pitch ,I would have took him for everton no problem.

Absolute tit but a brilliant player. I wish he'd stayed at one place for a while rather than flouncing about through half the PL being pretty average. Could have done loads more imo.

he's a fantastic player, i think he would have been a risk worth taking. but having said that there's a reason he's been everywhere

oh well

He is a class act on the pitch, the rs took to him and loved him. He would have been a great addition to the team but we know how much Moyes reads into a personality before signing a player. why we went for Billy over Bellamy.

There's another story in the paper from his biography earlier in the week where he explains in more detail the Riise/golf club incident. Reading it is enough to tell you Moyes was right.

Dunno what happened, but whoever told him to avoid him deserves a round of applause, Belamy is a nightmare character to manage in a squad built on squad morale.

Agree with this.

At this point we were over achieving with pretty average players. Despite his undoubted ability I could never have seen him conforming and he could well have been a costly destablising influence.

We will never know.....

Status
Not open for further replies.