Being Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice article this on what it means to be a blue

I Just read this too, and really enjoyed it!
Really interesting to read about how how being an Evertonian (or supporter of any club maybe) is also about family and connection to the city and our people. I found parallel's here because in a different way have an experience like this. My wife is Canadian and moved here to the city, my parents are from India and moved here in the early 70s, and I don't have any historical connections or relatives or friends who support Everton, and just do, because some of my close friends when I was around 7 years old supported Everton. I don't know why I chose Everton but the love got deeper over time, then I lost the connection when i was away from the city for a few years. Since I got married to someone not from here, and have had kids, my connection grew stronger because it was like my ethnicity or religion or 'where I'm from'. My kids (both under 4) will love the club just because I do. My daughter has no real idea about what and why she's supporting us, she loves Richarlison, asks me if we won today, and her favourite colour is blue, but it just feels good that we're the same, just like this writer has said.
Like in this article, Everton gave me a sense of belonging, even though I haven't lived around Goodison or any family connections. I didn't even go to matches because my parents didn't.
I have been reading a lot about how 'local' we are and authentic, and I suppose it makes me think too that as Blues we can all look different, have different levels of engagement with the club, but we can still be 'true fans'.

I Just read this too, and really enjoyed it!
Really interesting to read about how how being an Evertonian (or supporter of any club maybe) is also about family and connection to the city and our people. I found parallel's here because in a different way have an experience like this. My wife is Canadian and moved here to the city, my parents are from India and moved here in the early 70s, and I don't have any historical connections or relatives or friends who support Everton, and just do, because some of my close friends when I was around 7 years old supported Everton. I don't know why I chose Everton but the love got deeper over time, then I lost the connection when i was away from the city for a few years. Since I got married to someone not from here, and have had kids, my connection grew stronger because it was like my ethnicity or religion or 'where I'm from'. My kids (both under 4) will love the club just because I do. My daughter has no real idea about what and why she's supporting us, she loves Richarlison, asks me if we won today, and her favourite colour is blue, but it just feels good that we're the same, just like this writer has said.
Like in this article, Everton gave me a sense of belonging, even though I haven't lived around Goodison or any family connections. I didn't even go to matches because my parents didn't.
I have been reading a lot about how 'local' we are and authentic, and I suppose it makes me think too that as Blues we can all look different, have different levels of engagement with the club, but we can still be 'true fans'.
Even as a foreigner, without historical and/or family connections with Liverpool, I can relate to the article. There's just something about Liverpool as a city, that sucked me right in from my first visit there (not talking about The Lisbon here).

I classify myself as a bit of an Anglophile. Love British live and culture, but no other city I've been to in my life, makes me feel fit so right in than Liverpool does.

Everton is so very much in the heart of that all. Everton epitomizes Liverpool and Liverpool epitomizes Everton. Don't think any Everton fan, lucky enough to experience it, will ever forget his first visit to Goodison, the first steps inside and the first time hearing Z cars played.

Also quite sure that every foreign fan, lucky enough to be able to make that trip to Goodison/Liverpool, will love the city of Liverpool as much as the club they support. It certainly holds a special place in my heart. Can't wait for my next visit. The feeling of arriving back home away from home.

What a great read.

Even though I have kids of my own I’m slowly and patiently indoctrinating, I recognise the kid’s perspective in that article more than the parent’s.

My dad was a scouser, as were generations before him. He left Merseyside as a young man, and I was born many miles away.

Liverpool was where my grandma was, and where Everton was. A different world that I have always loved visiting so much.

I’ve always been proud of my Scouse heritage - and of my Evertonianism - even if the latter has been a lonely pursuit for the most part.

He never expressed it, but I always got the impression he was surprised how much Everton and Merseyside meant to me. It’s interesting to see that surprise reflected in another dad in a similar situation.

I moved down south before I had my kids. My Surrey born lad is Everton through and through - and sometimes I wish I'd have pushed him to Fulham or even Chelsea as all his friends followed them. Now he's an adult he has had to suffer the regular pain of defeat with the odd sprinkle of joy. It's been hard this year. I hope it's made him more balanced and rounded though. I'm now proud he's one of us - but wish he can see some of the success that I have seen. Any blue under 30 is long overdue some time in the sunshine.

Status
Not open for further replies.