Barkley..again

He’s clearly talented and he is a blue. Would he walk into the team? Probably yes. Would he thrive under Dyche? Probably yes.

As I mentioned to @davek in the other thread, does he have a rep as a walloper? Yes.

If Dyche could sort him out and he’d be quality then yeah, I’m just a bit reticent due to his previous behaviour but then I was prepared to welcome Rooney back. On the other hand Rooney had considerably more talent to justify that but then I don’t think we’re in much of a position to choose at the moment what with finances etc.

Massive fence-sitting effort from me essentially.

I have posted before on this, he has the skills but does not have a "football brain". Takes the wrong option far too often, and at 30 I would rather invest in a younger player that could earn us some money in the future.

I wonder if other teams have the same weird obsession with bringing players back that Evertonians seem too? Truly bizarre that players who get nothing but grief while they are here as soon as they leave suddenly people become desperate to have them back???

No.

And not just because he's a rat who sold us down the river and made continual snidey digs...

He had a good spell under us when he was given a largely free role under Martinez.

He's only had that role since, for 26 point Luton Town.

You have to be a brilliant player to afford that luxury of "just play" - and he isn't good enough.

He's 30 - looking for his last pay day.

Swerve.

I'd find it difficult to look past his somewhat murky history with us, but I do think you're being a little harsh about his role this season. He's certainly playing deeper and he's their creative spark, but it hasn't been an undisciplined free role, he's done it within a structure and has a defensive role to play too.

That said, even if I could get past him being who he is, it would really need to make financial sense (wages would need to be very reasonable) and it'd need to be a deal with little to no risk for us in terms of length. And even then, I'm not sure he works in a Dyche side, although I will admit that we do need someone to replace Gomes as the sole creative body in the midfield options.

I think people forget how terrible he was apart from a few excellent performances one season. I think he's been massively over hyped at Luton too. I'd be annoyed if we were even considering this

I think people forget how terrible he was apart from a few excellent performances one season. I think he's been massively over hyped at Luton too. I'd be annoyed if we were even considering this
I don’t think he was terrible but he did get over hyped, as we are wont to do.

I always thought he was overrated and that he was thick as a plank. However, Gomes has gone, so has Danjuma and Harrison and it seems likely we could lose Onana. So we go from a midfield with almost zero creativity to one with absolute zero creativity. So for me, though he is thick, sweaty and has a massive arse, he would still offer us those forward passes we have lacked all season and Imwould take him provided his wages were reasonable. If he wants star wages, swerve. With regards him not being a Dyche type of player, the same could be said about Gomes, but injuries aside he got a few starts for us?

Nahhhh
Rooney was a generational talent and even with him not being able to run anymore he scored 10 goals and left in good enough favour for it to have been a worthwhile punt

Barkley is capable of incredible things, but he’s never been an incredible player, far too inconsistent

Rooney and Barkley both come across as pretty thick except when it comes to football. Rooney’s football brain was as good as anyone’s, Barkley needed to be coached minute by minute to get the best out of him

I would personally swerve him.

However, if he's on a free and has the appetite to come back I can see it being on to be honest. I think he probably walks into the midfield a the moment.

I have said it since he left (and am not saying he is this player now), but we have missed someone who can actually get the ball and drive with it - and actually score at the end. Doucoure has become undroppable for his contribution for Dyche, but is an terrible footballer for the position he plays.

Had we not been cash-strapped now, we'd all love to say no, get someone younger with more potential, more value.

However, he would contribute more to a seaosn than Gomes does, and would probably come at a cheaper wage.

Hard to look past him costing the club £20m though.

Please remember just how proud you are to be turning down Ross Barkley when DCL gets injured, the chronic hoofball stops working, and we end up going 12 weeks without creating a goal scoring opportunity.

Far from not being a Dyche player, Barkley offers something that is very much needed in a Dyche set up… a bit of creativity and forward passes that are actually played on the floor!

Even if he doesn’t start games, he’d be very welcome as a sub where we are chasing games having gone behind.

But if you all want to continue with the absolute brilliance of Adama ‘the next big thing’ Onana pulling the strings in midfield, (or his substandard replacement) then so be it.