Baines's reduced role

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrb85

Player Valuation: £35m
Baines until very recently was our penalty taker, our main man for free kicks within 30 yards of the goal, and our main attacking defender. Now, certainly on the evidence of last night, but also to a great extent before then, he's not expected to get forward on the overlap anymore, he didn't take any direct free kicks near goal, and he's not now even our penalty taker it would appear.

Time to sell?

If the fee was high id maybe sell but dont think we'd get a price worthwhile.

Its good responsibility is spread out a bit more

It was his first game back after an injury lay-off. If the situation is still the same in a months time then maybe there is something in it. Not until then though I'd have thought.

I thought he did take a direct free kick yesterday? Hit the target too but it was saved. Saw he got awarded MOTM by Squawka with like 3 chances created and 8 clearances or something like that.

He got forward several times yesterday but, Osman aside, most of the players in this team haven't built an understanding with him to know when to find the overlap.

I'm also pretty sure he took the direct free kick after Coloccini got sent off, didn't he? And Rom had converted 3/3 pens over the previous eight weeks, so he'd earned his shot.

Last edited:
I thought Baines played well yesterday. There is more to the game than set pieces. I'm getting exhausted by the "time to sell Baines" comments after every match.

We have 3 left backs at the minute and I feel one of them has to go in the summer. If Garbutt signs his contract I would sell Baines, I think he is still the best of the 3 but he's over 30 and the one who will command the largest fee. I think Garbutt will almost fill the gap and we'll be able to use the funds to strengthen in other areas of the team.

Baines until very recently was our penalty taker, our main man for free kicks within 30 yards of the goal, and our main attacking defender. Now, certainly on the evidence of last night, but also to a great extent before then, he's not expected to get forward on the overlap anymore, he didn't take any direct free kicks near goal, and he's not now even our penalty taker it would appear.

Time to sell?

surely you're joking.

Status
Not open for further replies.