Baines's reduced role

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was made up to see Baines looking back to something like his best yesterday. For once he's been given time enough to recover fully from an injury, and for the first time in months he looked as though he had nothing holding him back.

I still think it'll be a mistake to let Garbutt go and stick with someone who is already in his 30s, but Everton have never really been the types to cash in on players without their hand being forced.

At the moment there is a huge gulf between Baines and Garbutt. Baines is a top professional and a top international player who is a defender and an attacker of the highest quality.
Garbutt is a young professional who simply could not have reached the standard of Baines at this stage of his career...indeed he may never do so.

Baines is the best left back at the club and if fit he plays.
Garbutt has to decide if he wants to develop as a player at Everton or move to get regular first team football immediately. But, at the moment he will not be getting regular first team football at one of the better clubs.He simply isn't good enough yet.

Baines is fast becoming an Everton legend (he already is in my eyes) - possibly our best left back since the great Ray Wilson.
For that reason, there is no chance I would sell him. We won't get nowhere near the price we were offered before either so he is better value to the club staying put.
I believe Garbutt should stay too as immediate cover for Baines (and his long term replacement) and Oviedo as cover for both left back and left wing.
Sell none!

I definitely get people's attachment to Baines but how different this thread would be if we'd got beat yesterday and he'd had a shocker. Look at it objectively, he's definitely on the decline and in Garbutt we have a potentially excellent replacement.

I don't think we should sell Baines but I think/hope he can adapt to a reduced role over the coming seasons.

Oviedo is going NOWHERE
I hope you are right, but he is starting to look like a bit of spare part, now that Garbutt seems to have come of age. Why does Martinez use Bryan as a winger? He has done OK on both wings before. There are plenty of opportunities for him to get a game, while we are still in Europe.

Thought it was his best defensive game for a while yesterday. Got stuck in and seemed refreshed. I would also say garbutt playing well has made him up his game a bit. Still class player.

I think Lukaku has been put on penalties is to get his goal stats up to take the pressure of him.

However I don't really understand why he isn't taking free kicks or maybe why they've become so poor.

028.gif

I definitely get people's attachment to Baines but how different this thread would be if we'd got beat yesterday and he'd had a shocker. Look at it objectively, he's definitely on the decline and in Garbutt we have a potentially excellent replacement.

I don't think we should sell Baines but I think/hope he can adapt to a reduced role over the coming seasons.

What if he laced the ball into our own net three times and Cantona'd a pregnant woman in the front row? I'd definitely drop him then.

12/13 season League goals 5 assists 5 - season where he played every single minute, mostly with his favourite partner
13/14 season league goals 5 assists 4 - injury hit and without Pienaar
14/15 season league ytd goals 2 assists 8 - injury hit, without Pienaar and in a general horror show of a season.

Over the past 18 months he might not be delivering quite the same way as he did in that superb 12/13 season but there are factors for it and he is still extremely effective - to call him definitely on the decline is ludicrous.

Check out his stats compared to other quality LBs eg Azpiliecueta 0 goals 3 assists. Or RB for that matter - Ivanovic 4 goals 4 assist or Clyne 2 goals 0 assists.

Baines is still consistently one of the best fullbacks in the league and an Evertonian to boot.

Last edited:
Baines until very recently was our penalty taker, our main man for free kicks within 30 yards of the goal, and our main attacking defender. Now, certainly on the evidence of last night, but also to a great extent before then, he's not expected to get forward on the overlap anymore, he didn't take any direct free kicks near goal, and he's not now even our penalty taker it would appear.

Time to sell?

Ignoring the fact that he is still our best left back (despite popular opinion Garbutt is only our 3rd best), given the loyalty Baines has shown us over the years, he deserves to be able to see out his playing days here at goodison in a reasonable capacity, and if that means loosing Garbutt then it is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.