Baines ~ Lahm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Player Valuation: £10m
To my understanding, this year, Bayern have played Lahm in a midfield role often, and have played someone else at right-back, with obviously Alaba at left-back. With our central midfield shortage, and having one of the bossest reserve left-backs in the league, would anyone object to not signing Barry, promoting Garbutt as cover (cheaper by far), and playing Baines and Mccarthy as central midfielders? Baines has the skill-set for this to suit him, as well as getting him in dangerous areas more. His crosses haven't been as frequent nor effective this year and without Pienaar, who I can see playing a reduced role next year, there is no need for him to pay on the left flank.
We could then use Barry's potential wages to put towards a younger midfielder as cover, or even towards a big signing up top.
Thoughts?

Completely different situation now, never thought he was a winger, but let's not forget Barry used to be a left-back. Something to test in pre-season at least?

Obviously it's different now. I was just saying it's been discussed in the past.

The answer remains the same. He's not a midfielder.

Yes mate but without the half triple step overs.

well that would make it a false 5??

anyway no Baines is not a CM. Just because one player could do it doesnt mean another should, He is one of the best left backs in the world - why change that?

Why the hell would anyone want to move one of the best left backs in the world into defensive midfield?

How about we just play our players in their best positions?

well that would make it a false 5??

anyway no Baines is not a CM. Just because one player could do it doesnt mean another should, He is one of the best left backs in the world - why change that?

To make space for Oviedo, who is younger, suits Martinez's style more, and happened to be in the team for our best spell?? Also, I'm saying let's try it out for options, not as a permanent fix per say. What if Gibson gets crocked again, and Barry doesnt want reduced wages?

Yeah lets move our best player for the last few years and Englands no.1 left back for a player whose played about 4 games in that position. I like Oviedo and gutted bout his leg, but christ the love in for an average player is very tedious.

To make space for Oviedo, who is younger, suits Martinez's style more, and happened to be in the team for our best spell?? Also, I'm saying let's try it out for options, not as a permanent fix per say. What if Gibson gets crocked again, and Barry doesnt want reduced wages?

Do what every other club does and by a player for that position. Or in our case loan....

Status
Not open for further replies.