Badge discussion with a member of Everton's staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nashtbs

Player Valuation: £2.5m
So my girlfriend wrote her dissertation on football marketing and how rebranding can effect clubs. Our club official was incredibly helpful (moreso than her own club: Hull City). I'm not sure if any of this is new groud or how much of this was known before but he confirmed the drop in sales because of the badge. Take a read of the Everton part if you're interested.

If this needs merging with a badge thread, feel free to do so.

She also wants me to pass on her thanks for all the Evertonians help as we were a hugely significant contributer to her research. Thanks blues!

One club that have changed their Club badge in the last few years are Everton FC. The club decided that a new badge was needed in order to maintain consistency throughout national and international media on print and television as well as making a suitable reproduction for the digital era

The new badge was unveiled prior to the 2013/2014 football season with that season’s
kit already being in production with the updated badge. Figure 1 shows the previous badge to the reproduction which shows a noticeable difference with the change in the design of the tower, the removal of the scroll and wreaths. The reproduction was suitable for digital use as well as looking a lot smarter and tidier. Despite this, many fans did not like the badge and over 25,000 signed a petition against the badge change. Speaking to a club representative at Everton, the reasons behind the badge change were mainly to simplify a complicated badge that was often poorly reproduced. In an interview the club representative admitted that the process in which the club went about changing the badge didn’t work, in part due to not fully involving fans in theprocess. In my own primary research it was discovered that Everton fans have high values of traditions, keeping the history of the club alive and the importance of name, badge and heritage. The wreaths and the scroll underneath the badge were both deemed as being traditional and important features of the badge. As the new proposed design had neither of these, fans took a negative stance to the badge which may have also contributed to a drop in kit sales during the 2013/2014 season, although the badge was not the only factor in this- the kit was similar to that of the previous season.

Knowing that the opinions of supporters and shareholders were important, Everton then rethought the idea of the badge change and gave everyone related to the club an opportunity to voice their own opinions. The club representative went on to explain that “around 300,000 surveys of 10-20 questions were sent out to Evertonians about what areas were important to them. We collated all of the feedback, held focus groups with fans, directors and shareholders to gather all opinions which we then forwarded to an external design company who came up with three designs which all had elements of the opinions of the Evertonians”.
Figure 2 shows the three designs that were developed from the feedback given which was then put up to the test of the supporters who were given the chance to vote for the favourite of the three in which badge number one was voted favourite by 78% of supporters and the one that was produced and used in the latest 2014/2015 Barclays Premier League season. When asked whether taking the fans thoughts into account was the best way to go about the changes, Everton’s club representative went on to say “absolutely, fans arecrucial to the process; they are tattooed, children have bedrooms full of our merchandise and people have badges on their gates outside of their houses. Engagement is key and done properly has showed that fans are willing to adapt but just wanted to be in the know with changes and be able to have their voice heard. The new badge is not as simple as the 2013/2014 edition however it is what the fans wanted and it is still replicable and digitally fit”​

Full dissertation here : http://www.scribd.com/doc/271253160/Marketing-in-Football-A-business-versus-a-culture

So my girlfriend wrote her dissertation on football marketing and how rebranding can effect clubs. Our club official was incredibly helpful (moreso than her own club: Hull City). I'm not sure if any of this is new groud or how much of this was known before but he confirmed the drop in sales because of the badge. Take a read of the Everton part if you're interested.

If this needs merging with a badge thread, feel free to do so.

She also wants me to pass on her thanks for all the Evertonians help as we were a hugely significant contributer to her research. Thanks blues!

One club that have changed their Club badge in the last few years are Everton FC. The club decided that a new badge was needed in order to maintain consistency throughout national and international media on print and television as well as making a suitable reproduction for the digital era

The new badge was unveiled prior to the 2013/2014 football season with that season’s
kit already being in production with the updated badge. Figure 1 shows the previous badge to the reproduction which shows a noticeable difference with the change in the design of the tower, the removal of the scroll and wreaths. The reproduction was suitable for digital use as well as looking a lot smarter and tidier. Despite this, many fans did not like the badge and over 25,000 signed a petition against the badge change. Speaking to a club representative at Everton, the reasons behind the badge change were mainly to simplify a complicated badge that was often poorly reproduced. In an interview the club representative admitted that the process in which the club went about changing the badge didn’t work, in part due to not fully involving fans in theprocess. In my own primary research it was discovered that Everton fans have high values of traditions, keeping the history of the club alive and the importance of name, badge and heritage. The wreaths and the scroll underneath the badge were both deemed as being traditional and important features of the badge. As the new proposed design had neither of these, fans took a negative stance to the badge which may have also contributed to a drop in kit sales during the 2013/2014 season, although the badge was not the only factor in this- the kit was similar to that of the previous season.

Knowing that the opinions of supporters and shareholders were important, Everton then rethought the idea of the badge change and gave everyone related to the club an opportunity to voice their own opinions. The club representative went on to explain that “around 300,000 surveys of 10-20 questions were sent out to Evertonians about what areas were important to them. We collated all of the feedback, held focus groups with fans, directors and shareholders to gather all opinions which we then forwarded to an external design company who came up with three designs which all had elements of the opinions of the Evertonians”.
Figure 2 shows the three designs that were developed from the feedback given which was then put up to the test of the supporters who were given the chance to vote for the favourite of the three in which badge number one was voted favourite by 78% of supporters and the one that was produced and used in the latest 2014/2015 Barclays Premier League season. When asked whether taking the fans thoughts into account was the best way to go about the changes, Everton’s club representative went on to say “absolutely, fans arecrucial to the process; they are tattooed, children have bedrooms full of our merchandise and people have badges on their gates outside of their houses. Engagement is key and done properly has showed that fans are willing to adapt but just wanted to be in the know with changes and be able to have their voice heard. The new badge is not as simple as the 2013/2014 edition however it is what the fans wanted and it is still replicable and digitally fit”​

Full dissertation here : http://www.scribd.com/doc/271253160/Marketing-in-Football-A-business-versus-a-culture

Interesting read that. It's also quite consistent with what the club said at the time.

Thanks for sharing.

Great read, but a few comments regarding the quality of the dissertation.

• Either use paragraph indentation or spacing. I read through it and often lost where I was on the page.
  • If it's going to be handed in, make sure it's in a Serif font. (Times New Roman, Liberation Sans, Palatino Linetype)
  • The graphs in the appendices are difficult to read, I would strongly recommend exporting them in a vector file format and then putting them in for lossless compression.
  • The first page starts at 3, that should never happen.
  • Putting an abstract in the report is also vital.
  • Where is the table of figures, and where is the table of tables?
  • There seems to be little to no effort in referencing key elements of the dissertation. This will decrease her mark substantially.
Drop me a PM and I can help sort it out, if you please.

• Either use paragraph indentation or spacing. I read through it and often lost where I was on the page.
  • If it's going to be handed in, make sure it's in a Serif font. (Times New Roman, Liberation Sans, Palatino Linetype)
  • The graphs in the appendices are difficult to read, I would strongly recommend exporting them in a vector file format and then putting them in for lossless compression.
  • There seems to be little to no effort in referencing key elements of the dissertation. This will decrease her mark substantially.

Sorry mate, i don't know how she handed it in or if it was modified for that site but she got a first for the version she handed in.

Thanks for the offer though.

Haha! She's great, into her footie, knowledgable, and as a bonus for a person from Hull, has the correct number of fingers and toes. Got me moving there too ffs.

My best mates bird lives there and he drives to hers every week so he can spend a few hours in her company and then whizz back to Birkdale.

Anyhow, he says Hull is a dump but it's full of brass.

Pics of bird please

Cracking pair here mate.

1018.Dscf2332-done.jpg

Sorry mate, i don't know how she handed it in or if it was modified for that site but she got a first for the version she handed in.

Thanks for the offer though.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.