Back down to earth article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. We have the same group of players that finished 5th therefore must be doomed.

What a crock. Barry and Osman who were instrumental to our performance that yr have both fallen off the cliff. One could also argue that our defensive structure was also far more solid thanks to one D.Moyes.

The article highlights what most on here have been saying all summer. Martinez simply hasn't been aggressive enough in his transfer dealings. We scored 48 goals last yr. What more evidence does one need that this needs fixing!?? Even when we finished 5th we only scored 61, some 40 less then the top teams.

Going into a new season without having addressed this is *$#@ING CRAZY

What a crock. Barry and Osman who were instrumental to our performance that yr have both fallen off the cliff. One could also argue that our defensive structure was also far more solid thanks to one D.Moyes.

The article highlights what most on here have been saying all summer. Martinez simply hasn't been aggressive enough in his transfer dealings. We scored 48 goals last yr. What more evidence does one need that this needs fixing!?? Even when we finished 5th we only scored 61, some 40 less then the top teams.

Going into a new season without having addressed this is *$#@ING CRAZY

Please don't swear mate, it's only 8.50am.

It's not doom mothering to be concerned about the squad before the start of the season. I don't think we are "in trouble" but we look really short of quality replacements.

The first 6 or 7 games after Watford are very tough and I think he should have strengthened.

Nothing defeatist about being concerned about that. All that aside, still can't wait for saturday

I don't think he's had a choice to strengthen.

Record income from TV Deals, and yet we end up being skinter than a gambling addicted dole head.

I don't think he's had a choice to strengthen.

Record income from TV Deals, and yet we end up being skinter than a gambling addicted dole head.

No point spending money for the sake of it though is there? In central defence, for instance, we have three really promising young players, so maybe Martinez has decided that it's right to go with them as back up rather than buy-in a short term stop gap. Lets face it, Galloway did no worse than Distin or Alcaraz last season. Browning looked ever inch as capable as Hibbert in his cameo appearances.

Lets at least give the lads a chance before we throw the bathwater out.

No point spending money for the sake of it though is there? In central defence, for instance, we have three really promising young players, so maybe Martinez has decided that it's right to go with them as back up rather than buy-in a short term stop gap. Lets face it, Galloway did no worse than Distin or Alcaraz last season. Browning looked ever inch as capable as Hibbert in his cameo appearances.

Lets at least give the lads a chance before we throw the bathwater out.

This I can accept actually, especially in the case of Browning and Galloway. Though an injury to Stones or Jags and you are asking a kid to come into a run of fixtures which includes City, Spurs, Chelsea etc...It's a massive gamble and one which could seriously backfire.

Indeed. We have the same group of players that finished 5th therefore must be doomed.

To be fair, it is the same group of players that finished 5th two seasons ago. Plenty of other clubs have moved on since then, but we have not. I often get accused of being a pessimist, but I think people who like to say things how they find them are often labelled as pessimists, when they are actually just telling the truth.

I keep on hearing people saying 'We have a strong squad?', but do we? Really? I don't think our squad is strong at all, it's beginning to look threadbare even before the season starts, and there are glaring weaknesses and needs at goalkeeper, defence, midfield and attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.