Attendances at Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Jones

Player Valuation: £35m
I was looking at statistics on Everton Results and came across something which amazed me. In 2003/4 in 19
league matches there were 7 matches which drew over 40,000 and only 2 which drew less than 37.000.

That was the infamous Moyes season when we finished 17th. Can anyone explain it?

I mean, those 40k plus crowds included matches against Wolves, Bolton and Portsmouth FGS!

could have been a 'get behind the lads' effect. there was a season when Mike Walker was in charge when we couldn't buy a win and the attendances suddenly seemed to soar as people desperate to help them turn it round. that's a very hazy memory at moment but I think a Duncan header turned the season round.

could have been a 'get behind the lads' effect. there was a season when Mike Walker was in charge when we couldn't buy a win and the attendances suddenly seemed to soar as people desperate to help them turn it round. that's a very hazy memory at moment but I think a Duncan header turned the season round.

yeah just checked, that was pretty much my imagination. we went 14 games without a win but attendences seem to reflect the opposition until games got scary at the end, but we survived

What I think affects attendance is a number of reasons:-

Ticket prices
Sky television/broadcasting
The availability of matches online for free
General laziness
Fans aren't like they used to be

By the way, I'm not speaking from my point of view because I go the match.

How many seats do you think in our stadium are behind posts? Nobody wants to sit behind a post do they so those tickets won't sell. Is there a way of knocking down the posts but keeping the stand standing?

That was the season when Everton capped season ticket sales so that the provision of match day tickets could still happen.

It was mainly due to Rooney, along with some confidence surrounding Moyes and the 7th placed finish of the previous season IIRC.

It's hard to say. Was there a recession then? Did Rooney bring that many people in? As I remember it, Moyes was nursing him along at that time and hand picked his matches. The obstructed views have always been there, so that would've had no impact one way or the other. MickM86 had a few possible reasons, but I wonder if any of them were much different than at other times
around then.
I'd seen it before, but I also noticed that attendances were pitiful in those great seasons from 1984 to 1989. How do we explain
that?

It's hard to say. Was there a recession then? Did Rooney bring that many people in? As I remember it, Moyes was nursing him along at that time and hand picked his matches. The obstructed views have always been there, so that would've had no impact one way or the other. MickM86 had a few possible reasons, but I wonder if any of them were much different than at other times
around then.
I'd seen it before, but I also noticed that attendances were pitiful in those great seasons from 1984 to 1989. How do we explain
that?

There was no recession and we were in the midst of a massive boom. I don't really see how a recession would increase attendances tbh.

Rooney literally pulled that many people in. Many bought season tickets as they thought he would be playing more regularly that season.

All English football attendances were crap in the 1980's. Our attendance figures were quite high in relation to everyone else's. Nobody was getting 40k+ I don't think, except United maybe? It wouldn't surprise me if Everton, Liverpool and United had the highest attendances, possibly Arsenal as well, but I haven't seen any figures.

I know everyone already knows this, but it's one of my favourite topics so....

You're talking about the 1994-95 season. The best season in the world ever x 5000. I would literally pay thousands upon thousands of pounds to experience something like that again. The upturn in attendances was due to the magic of Joe Royle and the effect that it had on the team. We went from being absolutely wank and on our way to being relegated, to telling Manchester United and Spurs to shut up and fook off in a matter months. The atmosphere was CLASS black then. The team and the fans were as one; Dogs of War indeed.

Don't mean to sound like a Kenwright ponce, but I actually get quite tearful when I remember the 1994-95 season. It was a dream come true for a 10 year old lad who had heard all the stories about the 1980's but had only really experienced the crap of the early 1990's prior to that. It wasn't just the fact that we won the cup IMO, it was HOW we did it, and WHO we did it with that made it so special.

To continue with the reminiscing, does anyone remember the absolute state of our old 'Souvenir Shop' on Goodison Road in the early 1990's? It was proper lame but absolutely class at the same time. When Duncan scored that goal against the RS there was suddenly loads of rather crap Duncan products, like T-Shirts that looked like they had used a photocopier to print a black and white picture of Duncan's face onto some cheap 'Fruit of the Loom' shirt or something? They were 7 or 8 quid, but sold quite well I think, lol.

Then when we reached the final, every market trader in Merseyside was selling loads of mad T-shirts with cheesy slogans like 'You've just been slam Dunc-ed' and pictures of angry Staffordshire Bull Terriers accompanying David Unsworth and a 'Dogs of War' slogan, LOL. There were loads of different ones, and everyone had one.

1995 was a proper sunny Summer as well, and I fecking loved that Summer. We'd be pretending to be Duncan, Ammo or Rideout when playing footy in the park and 'E aye addio we won the cup' was sung right throughout the Summer. They're my favourite moments as an Evertonian, I guess.

This absolutely amasing video sums it up perfectly!

[video=youtube;N49xwGJjpWE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N49xwGJjpWE[/video]

Last edited:
There was no recession and we were in the midst of a massive boom. I don't really see how a recession would increase attendances tbh.

Rooney literally pulled that many people in. Many bought season tickets as they thought he would be playing more regularly that season.

Yeah, it was his breakout year. He played pretty much every game.

I know everyone already knows this, but it's one of my favourite topics so....

You're talking about the 1994-95 season. The best season in the world ever x 5000. I would literally pay thousands upon thousands of pounds to experience something like that again. The upturn in attendances was due to the magic of Joe Royle and the effect that it had on the team. We went from being absolutely wank and on our way to being relegated, to telling Manchester United and Spurs to shut up and fook off in a matter months. The atmosphere was CLASS black then. The team and the fans were as one; Dogs of War indeed.

Don't mean to sound like a Kenwright ponce, but I actually get quite tearful when I remember the 1994-95 season. It was a dream come true for a 10 year old lad who had heard all the stories about the 1980's but had only really experienced the crap of the early 1990's prior to that. It wasn't just the fact that we won the cup IMO, it was HOW we did it, and WHO we did it with that made it so special.

To continue with the reminiscing, does anyone remember the absolute state of our old 'Souvenir Shop' on Goodison Road in the early 1990's? It was proper lame but absolutely class at the same time. When Duncan scored that goal against the RS there was suddenly loads of rather crap Duncan products, like T-Shirts that looked like they had used a photocopier to print a black and white picture of Duncan's face onto some cheap 'Fruit of the Loom' shirt or something? They were 7 or 8 quid, but sold quite well I think, lol.

Then when we reached the final, every market trader in Merseyside was selling loads of mad T-shirts with cheesy slogans like 'You've just been slam Dunc-ed' and pictures of angry Staffordshire Bull Terriers accompanying David Unsworth and a 'Dogs of War' slogan, LOL. There were loads of different ones, and everyone had one.

1995 was a proper sunny Summer as well, and I fecking loved that Summer. We'd be pretending to be Duncan, Ammo or Rideout when playing footy in the park and 'E aye addio we won the cup' was sung right throughout the Summer. They're my favourite moments as an Evertonian, I guess.

This absolutely amasing video sums it up perfectly!

[video=youtube;N49xwGJjpWE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N49xwGJjpWE[/video]

I remember a t-shirt with a picture of all birds on it because every team we beat on route to Wembley was nicknamed after a bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.