2023/24 Ashley Young

Perhaps fellas who are out of contract aged under 30, are out of contract for a reason? Should we be throwing money at people like that?
The manager has done well defensively, Young has been a part of that relative success. Maybe he's just sticking to what he knows and/or shopping within his budget? Maybe he's been told "Sean, you're out the door next summer, and we're skint, so no 2, 3 or 4 year player deals please!"

It's all guesswork and football manager. The bottom line is that we're skint, with a manager who has 1 year left. And as poor as Young is, he's been part of a system that worked for Dyche, and it's not surprising that Dyche might be looking for the same again next year.
That’s also guesswork though. We have no idea what we have to spend etc.

Everyone said we were skint last year and then bombed out £40m on Beto and Chermiti.

In normal circumstances, definitely not. But Everton 2024 is definitely not 'normal circumstances'.
So you'd take Ashley Young on huge money for a 40 year old over 25 year old Ola Aina on the same money and with the view we can actually use him for longer and maybe sell if we need?

Ok.

That’s also guesswork though. We have no idea what we have to spend etc.

Everyone said we were skint last year and then bombed out £40m on Beto and Chermiti.
Given what was said by Thelwell about player sales, I think it's probably fair to say we've not got a massive war chest, mate.

So you'd take Ashley Young on huge money for a 40 year old over 25 year old Ola Aina on the same money and with the view we can actually use him for longer and maybe sell if we need?

Ok.
I don't believe I actually said or hinted at any of that, but feel free to make things up.

I don't believe I actually said or hinted at any of that, but feel free to make things up.
Yes, because I replied the same way you do - to 1 sentence.

This is the key takeout from what you're saying anyway - it's fine as Young is all we can afford and other players out of contract (like Young) aren't good enough.

If he's used properly its fine and he is clearly having a positive impact within the squad. If he starts 35 games we have issues.

As stated in the Coleman thread I feel these renewals are indicative of where Dyche and Thelwell think the club will be financially this summer which is obviously not good

Last edited:

I wouldn't let Ashley go on his age. Work rate was fine. I just think the number of yellows, reds, coupla pens I think - and also the fine line he trod vs Forest could as easily have seen us in more trouble.

But attitude and age not the issue, just ability.

Don't disagree, although I am not sure of the exact rules. My hope is that we only have to sell one 'name' (that being Onana) and with a bit of juggling we keep Branthwaite and Pickford.
I agree. I like him but if his sale allows us to keep the other 2 and bring in 2/3 players then it is a no brainer.

I agree. I like him but if his sale allows us to keep the other 2 and bring in 2/3 players then it is a no brainer.

Sales will allow us to finish the stadium.

Young sucks, but I don't think he was brought here to play this much and we're going to lose players. The hope is that he's a well paid bench warmer (as unrealistic as that might be).

Yes, because I replied the same way you do - to 1 sentence.

This is the key takeout from what you're saying anyway - it's fine as Young is all we can afford and other players out of contract (like Young) aren't good enough.
No. Go back and read the actual words mate What I actually typed, not what you think I typed.

I have been pretty consistent in my opinions about Young as a player (not that good), where we are as a club ( a bit skint), and where I think the manager is coming from with regards to Young signing an extension (a cheap squad player who did ok in our system last year).

If you want to infer anything else, crack on.

If he's used properly its fine and he is clearly having a positive impact within the squad. If he starts 35 games we have issues.

As stated in the Coleman thread I feel these renewals are indicative of where Dyche and Thelwell think the club will be finacially this summer which is obviously not good
Said pretty much the same elsewhere. At the most, he should be coming on for the last 15 to see a game out, and/or maybe starting v bottom 6 teams. Hopefully he will be 2nd/3rd choice more often next season.