2023/24 Ashley Young

They’re all poor, Patterson hasn’t had anything like a fair chance, and tbh even though I really don’t rate Godfrey as a footballer I’d say he’s been better than Young. Young has been an embarrassment for 90% of the season.
Fair enough. But at the end of the day this manager isn't going to give Patterson a fair chance and he hasnt really shown anything to show he deserves one for me. And for all the mistakes Young made Godfrey makes just as many. I'm not trying to say Young had a good season but our RB cohort is a disgrace and Coleman (who is our best rb) can't be trusted to stay fit.

For me Young was our best rb but he's also cover for left back and right midfield which proves invaluable when the clubs about to go bust

No money for a substitute, and unfortunately not a youngster who could replace him. His experience off and on the pitch are valuable in this bad financial time the club finds itself in. Hopefully max 10 PL-display next season.

No we won’t find anyone better than him, but we will definitely replace him. And improving in other areas of the pitch will hopefully offset the drop off in quality from Branthwaite at CB.

…it’s a difficult one and obviously dependent on who leaves but I suppose the other factor is the chance of getting more out of DCL and Chermiti than we got this season and bring in a better option than Danjuma.

But surely a key member of the 4th best defence in the league would be sought after regardless?

Well not really. I mean if you’re a club with money you go out and buy a young right back that can develop in value and has pace to play the attacking game you want to play.

If you’re a cash strapped basket case with players in defence with no pace who are only good at sitting in then you probably keep the player you have who can also cover left back for another season whilst you sort out the mess off the pitch. Ideal situation is Patterson and Mykolenko get fit and in form and we don’t see Young that much anyway but we’re just not in the position to spend money on reserve fullbacks.

Club ensuring the pensioners have a roof over their heads.

Not a shock we have offered him it but the number of mistakes he makes is appalling and he really needs to just be a bit part player next season.

Fair enough. But at the end of the day this manager isn't going to give Patterson a fair chance and he hasnt really shown anything to show he deserves one for me. And for all the mistakes Young made Godfrey makes just as many. I'm not trying to say Young had a good season but our RB cohort is a disgrace and Coleman (who is our best rb) can't be trusted to stay fit.

For me Young was our best rb but he's also cover for left back and right midfield which proves invaluable when the clubs about to go bust
Players make mistakes, but what matters is where they make them and if they get punished for them.

Godfrey has conceded a pen.

Young has made 2 mistakes leading directly to goals, given away a pen, had a red card in the first half of a game and scored an own goal.

If we want a RB that isn’t going to offer anything going forward, the defence has conceded less per game when Godfrey plays rather than Young.

It's truly humbling that such a legend of football is choosing to see out the twilight years of his career helping out our troubled club and his old mate, selflessly turning out to play in whatever position he's asked to and bringing a wealth of experience to the dressing room. Speaks in glowing terms about the club too. Hope he gets the appreciation he so richly deserves in our final season at Goodison.

Another bad decision from the club, there must be a youth player coming through who could put the shirt on, as that's the only thing Young does correct when he plays, costs us too many points and goals, we got away with 3 points big time v Forest
We've the second most clean sheets in the league don't we? Something is working

tbf, if you were choosing out of the 2 player who has earned an extension, you'd have to say Young as he's been available more.

Can't believe he's played 30 odd games though. Don't think he's had an assist or goal in the league. Don't think he's even crossed the half way line tbh either lol
Scored against Burnley in the cup.