2023/24 Ashley Young

This is why you should never ever ever sign 38 year old footballers unless they’re a backup keeper. Absolutely ridiculous, a professional director of football should know this.
His age hasnt been the issue though. He is not struggling because of his age he is struggling because he is just playing crap and making awful decisions.

His age hasnt been the issue though. He is not struggling because of his age he is struggling because he is just playing crap and making awful decisions.

All of this is a byproduct of him not being able to physically do what he could do 5/10 years ago. His legs have gone and it’s quite clear when you watch him play, he looks like an arl fella playing against young, fit athletes.

We would have been better off bringing Baines out of retirement than signing Young.

He was a quality player 10 years ago, sadly not anymore. I can see him ending up a manager or coach.

All of this is a byproduct of him not being able to physically do what he could do 5/10 years ago. His legs have gone and it’s quite clear when you watch him play, he looks like an arl fella playing against young, fit athletes.
He was performing just fine a couple of months ago for Villa.

I don't think his legs have gone at all. He looks in great shape, he is just playing like crap.

I'm sure he played mainly as a right back for Villa though.

He was performing just fine a couple of months ago for Villa.

I don't think his legs have gone at all. He looks in great shape, he is just playing like crap.

I'm sure he played mainly as a right back for Villa though.

Yeah but that was a few months ago and this is now. Players at the age of 38 can be fine one week and then finished the next. It was always a matter of when, not if, his legs were going to go this season. Players can’t go on forever.

Yeah but that was a few months ago and this is now. Players at the age of 38 can be fine one week and then finished the next. It was always a matter of when, not if, his legs were going to go this season. Players can’t go on forever.
Yeah I get that but his biggest issue for me so far has been incredibly sloppy ball retention and ropey set pieces. (oh and awful throw ins...)

Time will tell I suppose but I am not seeing a Mark Hughes or David Ginola etc scenario here so far, merely a player who is playing incredibly poorly. He looks like what he is right now, a player who has spent most of his career playing at right midfield playing at left back.

Regardless our full back situation is pathetic for a top flight club.

Yeah I get that but his biggest issue for me so far has been incredibly sloppy ball retention and ropey set pieces. (oh and awful throw ins...)

Time will tell I suppose but I am not seeing a Mark Hughes or David Ginola etc scenario here so far, merely a player who is playing incredibly poorly. He looks like what he is right now, a player who has spent most of his career playing at right midfield playing at left back.

Regardless our full back situation is pathetic for a top flight club.
That'll most likely be due to his legs being gone and making poor decisions on fatigued feet. Maybe he was overcooked by Dyche in pre season, or maybe he's just played 1 too many games now.