Arteta to Valencia rumour

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's two distinct camps here, the 'We love Mikky' gang who wouldn't countenance a sale under any circumstances it seems and the 'get him out the door he's Scott Gemmill' mob who have forgotten what he's done here.

I think we should act pragmatically and if we were to receive a fee of, say, £12M plus for a 30 year old on £75K a week then we should seriously consider what that would get us. For those figures, if they were directly reinvestable we could get 2 £6M mid-twenties players on £35-40K a week, would that make up for losing Arteta?

Football is such a fickle world.

Give him a good pre season and he will still be the best passer/set-piece/creative player we have. He had a injury that not so long ago players wouldnt come back from at all. I'd like to keep hold of him but can certainly understand Valenica's interest (I suppose he always thought he would go back to Spain) & he still has hopes of getting into the Spanish side I'm sure.
Only disagree with this bit. Never been his strong point. He has loads of other qualities worth keeping hold of him for

I have felt for a long time that Arteta could be the player to leave this summer.
He is still at the very peak of his powers and has a large value in the transfer market.As each year goes by his value will decrease.
I think the international thing is probably gone for him now,but he certainly could still make a big impact in the Spanish league and as a Spaniard I am sure that would be important to him.
It would mean that he could move home to his family and with a young child I am sure that also would be important.
From an Everton perspective it would generate funds. As good as he is , I think most people would agree that his form last season was patchy and as he is getting closer to the 30 mark his resale value will decrease.

I also think the squad has almost become too settled,too much certainty about playing when fit and that some major alterations ,some new faces coming,but maybe some major faces leaving might give the whole squad a new energy.

There's two distinct camps here, the 'We love Mikky' gang who wouldn't countenance a sale under any circumstances it seems and the 'get him out the door he's Scott Gemmill' mob who have forgotten what he's done here.

I think we should act pragmatically and if we were to receive a fee of, say, £12M plus for a 30 year old on £75K a week then we should seriously consider what that would get us. For those figures, if they were directly reinvestable we could get 2 £6M mid-twenties players on £35-40K a week, would that make up for losing Arteta?

Theres not enough facepalm pics in the world that I could post that would give this post the credit it deserves.

Theres not enough facepalm pics in the world that I could post that would give this post the credit it deserves.

Sorry for posting such an incredibly ridiculous statement, oh wise one. Imagine, someone who has a point of view that differs with yours delivered in a non-reactionary manner. Maybe if I'd said 'get shut of the bad money-grubbing melt' or 'we should never, ever sell him because he had a couple of fantastic seasons once upon a time' you could of got on board.

dpan1123l.jpg

Arteta hasnt done the business for a while now. He's getting on a bit and it makes sense to cash in now if we can get a stupid offer from somewhere.

He is massively overrated by many. His set pieces are awful and he contributes very little in the way of decisive passing or goal scoring.

He didn't have a good year but he still put in match winning performances against Sunderland, Newcastle and Man City late on, and was one of our best performers in the Goodison derby. Also, he was in close to career-best form for the last couple of months of 09/10 once he got back from injury. He's done the business plenty in recent memory.

We look a different side when he's on his game. He might not produce all that many direct assists or goals, but he's invaluable in keeping posession deep, taking pressure off the defence, all those things that top players do.

We don't have anyone else who can pick the ball up in tight positions and change direction with it effectively now that Pienaar's gone. Of course he has his price like almost all players, but we shouldn't consider selling Arteta unless it was for silly money or we were being offered a suitable, younger replacement in a direct swap (like Banega, for example). I'd like to think Everton is a classy enough club to repay Arteta for the rare loyalty he's shown us over the years. The man's given us the best years of his career when he could surely have gotten a move elsewhere to 'bigger' sides numerous times.

This rumour's bullchaff anyway though :p.

He didn't have a good year but he still put in match winning performances against Sunderland, Newcastle and Man City late on, and was one of our best performers in the Goodison derby. Also, he was in close to career-best form for the last couple of months of 09/10 once he got back from injury. He's done the business plenty in recent memory.

We look a different side when he's on his game. He might not produce all that many direct assists or goals, but he's invaluable in keeping posession deep, taking pressure off the defence, all those things that top players do.

We don't have anyone else who can pick the ball up in tight positions and change direction with it effectively now that Pienaar's gone. Of course he has his price like almost all players, but we shouldn't consider selling Arteta unless it was for silly money or we were being offered a suitable, younger replacement in a direct swap (like Banega, for example). I'd like to think Everton is a classy enough club to repay Arteta for the rare loyalty he's shown us over the years. The man's given us the best years of his career when he could surely have gotten a move elsewhere to 'bigger' sides numerous times.

This rumour's bullchaff anyway though :p.

Exactly the same as the one some of the hacks are pushing saying he 'could' be sold to Atletico. Mikky's got a big season ahead of him-lets hope he's up for the challenge.

We get irate quickly enough if one of our players keeps an eye out for 'furthering of career' elsewhere. We accuse them of 'disloyalty' and 'disrespect' (amongst other things).

Yet we as fans are the first to throw players out to 'further the prospects of the club'. I am sure over the years Arteta has had many opportunities to jump ship for sides who played in Europe every season. He has clearly chosen to stay. Why? He must love it here.

Maybe Rodwell loves it at Everton too. Let's try to be a bit more loyal to those of our boys who have been loyal to us for many years.

You may argue that there's no room for sentiment in football, which is fair enough, but that goes both ways, does it not?

Couldn't agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.