Arteta "I dipped below the standards"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk...teta-demands-european-respect-64375-20514024/

MIKEL ARTETA is aiming to steer Everton to their twin ambitions of UEFA Cup glory and securing a place in the Premier League’s top four by getting back to his best form.
The Basque midfielder marked his return to the side in Thursday night’s 6-1 mauling of SK Brann with his first goal from open play since October 28 against Derby County.
Arteta, who missed the first leg in Norway as he was undergoing treatment for a groin problem, hopes that he has now finally shaken the problem off after revealing that he has been unable to train properly for three months.
During that time, the 25-year-old has not always been able to influence games on a regular basis in the way that his own high standards demand but he is now hoping to get back to producing the kind of performances that led to him to be named as Everton’s Player of the Season for the previous two campaigns.
Arteta said: “The goal was a boost for me.
“I feel better. I’ve had a groin injury a long time now and have been struggling for three months getting back, not training and just playing. I hope to get back in training now between every game and I’m feeling sharper as well.
“It was getting complicated and I didn’t like it because I like to train every week and every day because it makes me feel sharper and better but sometimes that’s the way it has to be.
“The other solution was to miss seven or eight games and I didn’t want to do that.”
He added: “I know that in certain games I dipped below the standards I set last year as I could not play like I could.
“Hopefully from now until the end of the season I’m going to start feeling better and 100% fit.
“We needed to win, we didn’t want to go into the game sloppy, that was the risk.
“We started the game a little bit slowly but then we started passing it well and got a great result again.”
Everton continued their excellent form in the UEFA Cup this season with a club record seventh consecutive win in Europe and Arteta hopes that their good results and impressive performances will help raise the club’s status around the continent,
Despite his cult status at Goodison Park, Arteta continues to be overlooked by the Spanish national team and it is often suggested that this is because Everton are somehow deemed not ‘high-profile’ enough in his homeland.
Arteta said: “We want to get respected, we’ve got some big games coming up in Europe and the Premier League as well.
“Fiorentina is going to be a massive game, we want to get some respect.
“It’s not going to be easy, it’s going to be difficult, Fiorentina’s players have a lot of European experience.
“Now everything gets tight in the UEFA Cup, we need to be ready for that.
“We’ve got the full squad back fit now and that’s going to help us.”
Arteta was joined on the scoresheet by hat-trick hero Yakubu and Andrew Johnson who bagged a brace and he acknowledged that it was a golden opportunity for Everton’s strikers to boost their morale.
He said: “The games like Brann are so important for strikers to get the goals, get the touch and get the confidence and it’s a good point for Yakubu and Andrew Johnson to start again.”
After undergoing treatment yesterday, Arteta expects to be fit for Everton’s trip to Manchester City on Monday.
David Moyes’s side hope to return to Eastlands on May 14 for the UEFA Cup final but for now they are just concentrating on putting a six-point gap between themselves at City in the battle for the final Champions League qualification spot.
Arteta said: “Manchester City is a ‘six-pointer’ because if we win against them we make the gap between us a big one. That’s what we want to do. They’ve been playing very well at home but we’re confident at the moment.
“We have got respect for them but we know we can go there and beat them – we did that six weeks ago and we can do it again.”

We need him to return to form NOW.

For whatever reason, he's been going missing in some games, he has the ability to stamp his authority on a game but it's been quite a while since that's happened.

An on form Arteta would be a great boost for the closing months of the season. He's been off the score sheet for most of the campaign and is way short of last seasons effort so hopefully he'll start firing in the final months.

Would be great too c him back too his best, imo though i dont think hes been that bad i think he dusnt stand out as much this season with pienarr and co taking a big weight of his shoulders.

Well he has'nt had the best of seasons by his standards. But if he starts playing like we know he can, i think we could get 4th an win the eufa cup. Would'nt that be great.

Hopefully he will learn that its best to hit your corner or free kick OVER the first defender.

Fair enough if he has been carrying a groin problem though.

Hopefully thats all cleared up now and he can reproduce the form he once showed, and the annoyance of not getting in the Spanish side wont drag him down.

And he is always useful to distract defenders to help Pienaar do his thing.

His on field play has been so good that the slightest blip in form and we worry. What has concerned me for some time is his dead ball play which at times borders on the pathetic. He may be helped by allowing others to be the play makers thus giving him more chances to find the back of the net boosting his own confidence, we cannot afford to waste so many chances on the run in.

Agreed. I have been most disappointed with his set pieces this season. We are wasting good opportunities to putting teams under pressure, especially from corners. Too many times the ball is cleared by the first defender.
Whether his injury had anything to do with this, I don't know. He is still worth his weight in gold to us though, but we need him on top of his game if we are to finish 4th.

In the past two years, that would have been a killer for us.

But, with Pienaar on the pitch with him, it takes some of the pressure off of Arteta and allows Everton to still have some creativity.

Imagine what it's gonna be like when Arteta AND Cahill both get back on form....

Even with him not playing that well we've been winning, so this hasn't really become an issue - had we lost a few I'm sure more pressure would be on him and he might not feel relaxed enough to come out and say this, or at least in the same way.

He's had an easy time from the fans and he knows it, so it is really nice of him to speak up. Him making this statement settles another issue in the back of my mind - and to be honest, there aren't many "negatives" left around Everton for me these days, I've no option but to think we'll win every time we play. ;)

He's been brilliant this season but not up to the standards of last season which was so high.

People who say he has been poor are just deluded, [Poor language removed] deluded.

In the top 5 of the best players this season.

He best had turn it on against City. There's no point in saying these things if he's not going to improve and being our talisman we need a big performance from him on Monday.

But saying that a poor Arteta is better than no Arteta. Even when he's poor he's still neat and tidy and keeps it well. I just wish he'd take the game by the scruff of the neck more as he's probably our best midfielder.

His on field play has been so good that the slightest blip in form and we worry. What has concerned me for some time is his dead ball play which at times borders on the pathetic. He may be helped by allowing others to be the play makers thus giving him more chances to find the back of the net boosting his own confidence, we cannot afford to waste so many chances on the run in.

The amount of times he hasnt even cleared the first man from set plays is frustrating to say the least but lets be fair he hasnt been poor just not to the high standards he has set.

Hopefully now hes over his niggly injury and he get back to being our player of the season again.

Hamman will be all over Mikel like a rash tomorrow, but i think City's man marking will suit his game and ours as a whole.If we start the game with a positive approach then we'll tear City a new arsehole.

Status
Not open for further replies.