Arsenal bid for Jagielka?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't we take a punt on a free signing. I know we always say that "they won't sniff the first eleven" but it's not like our squad's overflowing in depth. We could use a Hitzelsperger, Bosingwa (I think he's on a free) or some other free transfers. Why not?

I'll agree with this post, but not those players. Der Hammer is a central midfielder and that's the only position we are covered for depth wise in my opinion. Boswinga (Unibrow) is not on a free, and could feature heavily under Andre Villas-Boas because of, you know, the Portuguese connection? He likes his true wing backs and Ivanovic isn't one of them, he might even find himself starting in a team challenging on all fronts this season. In other words, there's no chance there.

Is there a list of free agents anywhere? I'd be interested in seeing it if there is.

Free transfers are not free.

Someone on here said once that the average bosman costs 80% as much as a normal deal in the long run.

The wage bill people. THE WAGE BILL!

I'll agree with this post, but not those players. Der Hammer is a central midfielder and that's the only position we are covered for depth wise in my opinion. Boswinga (Unibrow) is not on a free, and could feature heavily under Andre Villas-Boas because of, you know, the Portuguese connection? He likes his true wing backs and Ivanovic isn't one of them, he might even find himself starting in a team challenging on all fronts this season. In other words, there's no chance there.

Is there a list of free agents anywhere? I'd be interested in seeing it if there is.

One that instantly springs to mind is the out of contract Valencia winger Vicente. He was once considered the best winger in the world in some circles and the only thing that kept him from being that today is injuries. He's not made of glass like Hargreaves (who I would also have tbh) but he would be like Saha-taking a chance on a world-class, yet oft injured, player. Also, John Carew wouldn't be a bad pickup either.

Last edited:
SAUCED LADS!!! So not even reading any posts. I see THT and LCAB are back on after a little hiatus. Pleasure as always LCAB. THT i we havent posted but im a fan of your work. Ive been trying to raise spirits on here since i got on and now you dont give too much away, but dya reckon there is anything to look forward too(signings wise). I ask this as i type with the drunken one eye squint.

Hi Mick,

Got to be honest mate I am not sure at the mo ! It will be a waiting game now I think, I was surprised we did not make more of a go for N'Zog but now we'll have to hope we can move a couple on.

Anyway, my eyes are stinging so night peeps....

THT..

Free transfers are not free.

Someone on here said once that the average bosman costs 80% as much as a normal deal in the long run.

The wage bill people. THE WAGE BILL!

I see you were listening to myself and master Neiler when we were talking about the Villa example there and what crucified them and their finances.

Good one my young padawan.

From the Times today (no direct link available as you have to be a subscriber to access):

Arsenal look set to be foiled in their attempts to sign Phil Jagielka because of Everton’s determination to hold on to a player whom David Moyes regards as one of the country’s best central defenders.

Having rejected a £12 million offer from the London club, Everton are expecting Arsène Wenger to return with an improved bid, but that also appears to be doomed to fail after Moyes’s resolute stance in insisting that Jagielka is not for sale was backed by Bill Kenwright, the chairman at Goodison Park.

Moyes sees no value in selling the 28-year-old, particularly at the kind of valuations that have been mentioned thus far, because he views Jagielka as being at least the equal of Joleon Lescott, the central defender whom Everton sold to Manchester City for £22 million two years ago.

Everton are bemused by suggestions that negotiations are under way and are unwilling to consider doing business at a price of £18 million. The Goodison club are aware that Gary Cahill, the Bolton Wanderers defender, is available for a similar fee and given that Jagielka is ahead in the England pecking order, Everton value him considerably higher and are eager to keep him on Merseyside.

“Hopefully none of the top players will leave but we definitely need to strengthen our team a bit,” Sylvain Distin, Jagielka’s fellow defender, said. “If you look at the teams around us, they have got three or four if not five players, and quality players, too.”

Why don't we take a punt on a free signing. I know we always say that "they won't sniff the first eleven" but it's not like our squad's overflowing in depth. We could use a Hitzelsperger, Bosingwa (I think he's on a free) or some other free transfers. Why not?

I'd take Hitzelsperger any day.

There is no such thing as a free signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.