Are you a still a football fan or solely an Evertonian these days?

Everton and Celtic results are the only ones that matter to me.

The days of laying on the couch and watching super Sunday all day or hours of Monday night football are loooong gone.

Couldn’t tell you the last time I watched match of the day. Maybe last day of the season last year?

Everton. And even then I don’t enjoy it.

Football in general is in a dire state. Remember the early/mid 2000s when football was a lot more fun, you’d have Ronaldinho taking the absolute piss in Champions League games, no VAR, no wall-to-wall SkyBet and Paddy Power advertising every 2 seconds…the game itself and the culture around it was just a lot better.

If Everton wasn’t facing an existential crisis, I don’t think I’d even bother with them, bar checking the odd result. Its only the relegation and financial woes that are keeping me interested, but that’s nothing to do with the sport itself.

Last edited:
Football is completely oversaturated to me

There’s far too much of it and it makes most games irrelevant

Then there’s the corruption and lack of competition elements to throw in

Finally kids footy has had all the joy sucked out of it as even their teams are set as academies with weird parents thinking their Tarquin is going to make it cos he scored a goal against a 2 foot keeper

The game has completely gone, I actually hate what it’s become as it’s given me so many great times over the years

Capitalism has sucked the fun out of it all

So in answer to the question just an Everton fan

My interest for the PL has fallen over the past 10-15 years, however, the points deduction sparked me a little, but the state of the international game makes me depressed and I can't see how we are going to get back to anything resembling a healthy state for football.

My biggest interest is my local team here in Sweden (AIK) where the clubs are controlled by members and no VAR.

Everton is/are the love of my life. I do watch Soccer Saturday for the unfolding drama and also watch MotD. But since they devoted more time discussing each game afterwards than the game itself I always watch the recording so I can fast-forward. Only watch the rs game if they drop points. I try not to think there's a PL vendetta against us but, looking in here, it's hard not to.

Everton only for me these days! Very rarely watch any games that Everton aren’t involved in, even then if I do invariably the telly is on mute so I don’t have to listen to the inane, whining, biased ramblings of the likes of Spit, and Neville as pundits, even with the commentators there is a degree of bias in the commentary these days!
True about the commentators, they are rubbish, Hintchcliff particularly is a boring specimen.
Only watch MOTD if we win.
Football focus very rarely, used to like that but its just crap.
Dont mind the football league show, think that's my favourite football programme at the moment.
Same with the boxing half the time, turn that off or watch the USA stream instead , half them.are rambling and missing the action and have a narrative they stick to, ho he has won the last few rounds ect when anybody can see different.

Only watch recordings is motd just the bits with Everton in.Also record the Efl highlights show as the lack of var makes it a better watch.
Not arsed with Europe at all and though I am no longer a season ticket holder( back on the waiting list but I doubt I ever get one now) I still go to most matches but mainly for the few pints after.
Watching a team that are unable to put a ball in the net or even threaten to do so is a hard watch.

Everton only, I come down from Scotland to watch them 4/5 per season limited only as I have grandkids I watch playing football over the weekend.

I take a slight interest how my local teams Stenhousemuir and Falkirk are doing.
Other than us I'll watch the odd game live on TV but no other team in particular.

Despite living in Scotland for 44 years my kids and grandkids all support Everton which I'm proud of.

Everton make me miserable. There's zero fun in being an Evertonian these days. It's a chore. A legacy from childhood. A toxic relationship that I can't walk away from. I thought I'd fallen out of love with the game but I've seen a few none EPL games recently where I had no vested interest and enjoyed them. Seems like I still enjoy the game.
yep my wife constantly telling me Everton ruin our weekends. Toxic a great summary but oh for those 2 mins when we score - all is forgotten. Very drug like symbolism - cold turkey for 30 years, still chasing that high. Bar watching extended highlights of EFC on youtube, dont watch any other football except my local team live home and away when i can

I was football mad. As a kid I was one of the few footballers in a rugby focused school. I played for years and gave my left knee to the cause. I coached school footie after school and ran matches at weekends, even though I wasn't a pe teacher. I coached girls football at school in the early 90s before it was anything like common, I even came 30th out of 1 5 million globally in one of the early telegraph fantasy league competitions, in which I was 2nd among all the Everton fans. Back then I would know most names in most squads in the top flight.

Now I've got to the point that I didn't even know it was the league Cup (or whatever an advertiser pays other people to call it) final this weekend. I couldn't tell you more than 1 players name in any other club ... in fact I think I'd struggle to do this outside of Man C & Man U and is Firminho still at the rs? I'm relegated to looking up team selection and the result of Everton games after the event - a nasty habit I would like to be able to break.

That's how little of my time and interest I invest today. The game has become a vile cesspit of corruption with clearly obvious choreographing. Its there to feed gambling markets and create brands to sell to overseas sofas so sky can collect yet more cash. The money is so flooded the market, I provably have mire in common with an opposing rs fan than I do with the millionaires who play for Everton.

Our game has been robbed by the wealthy and greedy and sold back to those who can either afford the subscription without blinking, or the hopelessly addicted. I'm not buying into it, because its not the game I grew up with, it's tedious and stagnant with endemic cheating clear from every angle. I refuse to invest interest because 1. they destroyed the historic meaning I had invested in when "football was invented by the prem in 92" and 2. I have some self respect and don't want to look like an utter mug by being taken in.

(Not reading all that.)

Football isn’t a proper sport any more. It’s not a level playing field at all. How can it be taken seriously any more when the governing body makes rules up as it goes along, when it’s top official makes thinly veiled ‘small clubs’ jibes. Implementing a VAR system which has been over complicated and possibly deliberately sabotaged to undermine it’s importance. Most want to see the back of it as a result.

The joy of so many sports has been taken away from normal people and placed in the hands of the elite.

NFL fan first for me now. Despite it being closed shop, they retain a level of parity which means teams can bounce back quickly through draft and free agency. Being a Chiefs fan also helps me :D

The EPL and every thing that goes around it is simply the epitome of sporting unfairness. Nothing about it from a competitive perspective makes any sense to me.