Anyone feel we seem behind the rest (pre-season)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After another awful performance today (thats 3 out of 3) you'd have to say we look well short of sharpness and touch. Certainly when you look at some of the stuff being played by sides out in the States. Whether it means we have cause for concern is another matter. Bear in mind that nearly all Everton's performances in friendlies every summer are poor.

Crystal_Project_bell.png

ends_europe.jpg

Our main players have only just come back where Gerrard, Sterling, have been back about 2 weeks before ours, Rooney and Shaw were back right at the start of pre-season, I has my concerns about the lateness of our players comin back from their holidays

Po
After another awful performance today (thats 3 out of 3) you'd have to say we look well short of sharpness and touch. Certainly when you look at some of the stuff being played by sides out in the States. Whether it means we have cause for concern is another matter. Bear in mind that nearly all Everton's performances in friendlies every summer are poor.

This is the Martinez paradox isn't it. Can be excellent or dreadful a lot of the performance last season were dreadful. When I say a lot maybe that's too far, but certainly there were a fair few.

Possession football like route one when it is effective is great. When it isn't it is probably even more frustrating.

"Seamus will be ready for the Germany trip and he should be involved in that game," Martinez added. "If not, we'll have a behind closed doors game the following week and we would expect him to be ready for the start of the season."

From the OS, possibility of a behind closed doors game midweek after the game in Germany.

Right bunch of 10 year old's with exaggerated comments to match, in response to a perfectly reasonable thread matter.
We have had a lot less games than most of those around us, several players still look way off the pace and there is little time to remedy it, why not raise it?
We all know Martinez has a pre-season plan, and if Wenger can't work out what Martinez's plan is when he simply switches a striker from the striker role to RW, how we're supposed to understand something as tactical as a pre-season arranged by Martinez the ex physio, i'll never know, however it still seems a very light one to me.

Nothing that alarming unless it changes, but then there have been no calls for Martinez out, and no hint of relegation talk because of it except those raised by the sarcasm squad. Personally I think Christiffa25 raises a good point, and one I was thinking a few days ago.

Surprised there hasn't been one or two games more to get us up to speed, especially since most of them have predominantly contained a load of fringe players as opposed to the first team.

Chelsea lost 3-0 today against Werder Bremen.

Their team started with players such as Courtois, Terry, Azpi, Luis, Matic, Fabregas, Salah & Costa with Torres, Van Ginkle and Zouma making up the rest of the numbers.

Wouldn't really say they're ahead of us..

This pre season from word go looked thrown together, which is un-like Martinez. Surely start with weaker teams whilst building match fitness and awaiting world cup players, then upgrade the opponents towards a competitive standard. Basically, we've had Tranmere away, travelled half way around the world to play LEICESTER, put together Ossies well deserved testimonial, and then put the 'feelers' across the whole of Europe, because we are 2 or 3, maybe even 4 fixtures short of a game. Despite all our good work in signing players recently, pre season has been a joke!

I don't think it's too important to be honest. We had a tougher pre season last year in terms of opposition and we started pretty slow in the league. If I had a complaint about pre season this year it would be not taking advantage of the worldwide interest in "soccer" after the WC, but maybe Martinez has decided that he doesn't want any big tours so he can keep the players fresh.

Having said all that, it would be nice to see us web a couple of teams before the Leicester game!

Rubbish we started really good last season. We dominated those 3 games we just didn't have anyone who could score.

Yes we are behind. I've no idea where Mirallas is, there's no reason he's still on holiday. FFS BMI played today for Porto.

Tbh It's worrying me about Mirallas because he only has 2 years left on his contract.

But at least we scheduled another couple of games.

Its pre season in a world cup year. Long season ahead lads and I would rather it not involve a tournament in the likes of America.
My concern is not the fitness of players or results so far, but the fact we need another striker and attacking midfielder with pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.