2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's true. It's just that Everton ultimately are probably in catch 22 here.

If we don't sell, then we can get players in but they may be of limited quality and quantity. Maybe 2-3 more (a midfielder, hopefully Gana, and a forward player or two), but they'd be on the cheap side/loans etc.

If we do sell, we can probably go and get 2-3 very very good players, and perhaps even we may have a loan from Chelsea thrown in as well?

It's all hypothetical and we'll see.

I'm on the fence with it. I think £50m is too much to turn down personally, but if he stays it's also fine with me.
It's such a weird situation. He needs to be the player he may have the potential to be now. If we end up with those extra players being poor, and Gordon doesn't kick on hugely, we could well be relegated. DCL is a luxury player now with his injuries - we really need a starting striker not a backup, and we currently can't afford it.

In an ideal world Gordon stays, but how many goals will we score if we keep him and just get a couple of cheap players or loans to fill the attacking positions? On the evidence of these past two games we just won't score.

Theres an FFP fiddle to be done, and partly why it alarms me to see Batshuayi mentioned (who has no value and is not someone I want to see on a long term deal). I hope that is just Chelsea's end though.

One issue with Gallacher/Broja is how we value the. I'm not sure we value either at as high as 20m. Maybe we do though, and it becomes quite easy to conclude.
Gallagher is frankly a £30-35m player mate, at the very least.

We can't value Gordon at £50m and think Gallagher is worth that much less.

Theres an FFP fiddle to be done, and partly why it alarms me to see Batshuayi mentioned (who has no value and is not someone I want to see on a long term deal). I hope that is just Chelsea's end though.

One issue with Gallacher/Broja is how we value the. I'm not sure we value either at as high as 20m. Maybe we do though, and it becomes quite easy to conclude.
If we value Gordon at 50m, we must surely be valuing the 2 Chelsea boys, who, without being funny, have both doubled his output, at least 30m.

That's fine, I see the point.

But he's not actually that good. So if we got an offer of £50m, it could be too good to turn down.

I like Gordon, he'd be a miss and we'd need to replace him quickly but we would have money to do it and frankly, you can get far more productive players (and talented) for much less than £50m.

ok mate, have we replaced richy?

are you confident we would replace AG?

i hate this club “how it behaves as a club”

at times

What is his game and what does he actually create/add to our attacking play though? We need players right now that can score goals and/or assist more than 4/3 respectively in two years of football. Gordon was never expected to dictate games, just actually contribute in an actual attacking sense. Showing a bit of end product a little bit more often, besides just running would be enough for everyone to stay on his side.
Come on lad hes 20. Hes still a kid. He is still learning. He isnt going to appear out of thin air and be the finished product. Should Everton have a player in his place who is better. Yes.The reason we havent is the real problem here. Gordon needs time to work on his game especially the final ball and scoring goals. At his age he should be being used as a sub and learning.

I can see Gordon’s football career going one of four ways at this point -

1. Stays at Everton, doesn’t realise his potential, no longer commands a fee for having that potential tag and ends up the next Kenny/Davies that we all love to hate. We lose out on moving him on when his stock was high and miss out on a chance to add something.

2. Stays at Everton, takes 2 seasons to reach his potential and becomes a solid player but by then we’ve had a poor front three for 2 seasons because we haven’t added goals/assists, we’re relegation foder because we can’t score goals and we sell him when we’re a worse state for less money.

3. We cash in while his stock is still high, he plays without the pressure of playing for his boyhood club and becomes a great player. We move on and strengthen this season and reinvest/agree a deal that adds a few more goals/assists.

4. We cash in, strengthen this season and he gets found out early doors and is on loan at Forest doing TikTok’s with Lingard by the time we move to BM.

There are an awful lot of other players we really needed to move on so its disappointing that there's no movement on that and instead we may lose Gordon.

We are dealing with Chelsea so we need to push them as far as we can. We need to be prepared to hold out for the very best possible deal and use the precedent they set this summer in our favour.

I think we've put ourselves in a bad position with the daft McNeil deal. That money needed to go on a goalscorer. Now we have no goals and may need to sell ANOTHER important first team player to fix it.

Its pretty depressing stuff. Especially the fact our future would then be in the hands of the recruitment team and I have next to no faith in them.
Don't agree on McNeil at all. We paid £4m for him up front mate and we needed a left-footed winger.

Agree on the rest but it's not our financial position that dictates this. If any club got an offer of £50m - if Chelsea do offer that or an equivalent etc - for a player of Gordon's current quality, then they'd consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.