2020/21 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was him, and I couldn't even get a look-in when Richarlison is out, I'd be looking for a loan move in January.

Nothing to gain from playing in the reserves once you've shown that you're not out of place in the first team.
Agreed. Watching him today he's clearly too good for U23 football and, other than giving him a run out, playing him in those matches will do nothing to advance his game. If he's not getting any time in the first team with Richarlison out, the danger is he'll start to stagnate and eventually go backwards. So certainly, if he's still getting splinters in his backside in January, a loan move would be better for everyone.

Great assist there for the lad like.

Hopefully using these games to show Ancellotti he should be at least on the bench.

Made a statement in that U23 game today. Great assist and a MOTM performance. He does look a step above U23 level like.

Still strongly feel he should've been given a start in Richarlison's absence, certainly in that Newcastle game..
u23 is a horrible standard of football and sending him back there because we aren't getting him first team minutes and didn't sort a loan is once again another step toward screwing up his development. We still haven't learned.

Agreed. Watching him today he's clearly too good for U23 football and, other than giving him a run out, playing him in those matches will do nothing to advance his game. If he's not getting any time in the first team with Richarlison out, the danger is he'll start to stagnate and eventually go backwards. So certainly, if he's still getting splinters in his backside in January, a loan move would be better for everyone.

No mate needs more game time here. Danger is Gordon may start getting itchy feet and feel about being better off elsewhere.

Is Anthony Gordon good enough? Only time will tell. Is he a better option than Siggy or Iwobi at this moment in time? In my opinion yes. Would either he or Simms be a better option off the bench than Tosun? Oh yes.
The question, is he better than what we have currently the answer is YES.

Honestly a bit surpised at how annoyed people are getting about him not being in the squad. Richy is out Tosun is our 3rd choice striker so he's obviously on the bench. Gordon competes with other wingers but has he shown anything in the PL games he's played to warrant a place in the team? I don't think so. I don't think Bernard, Iwobi or Gylfi have done great either but it's important to have a bit of perspective that these are all expirienced internationals, Gordon is 19. At very worst we can put Bernard in the shop window for the next 2 months and Gordon gets in the squad after training more with the first team, alternatively he goes out on loan and comes back with some game time under his belt.

Can we please not have another Tom Davies situation on our hands where a player who's proved nothing aside from a half in a game or anything like that is getting people on the manager's back? I can't see how anyone can say Gordon is someone who should be playing for us every week or in the squad. He's a prospect let him learn and adapt to Carlo's style and we can see how he plays, Iwobi and Bernard are better options than him for Carlo, especially now that we've been in a poor patch of form.

The last thing Carlo or Gordon needs is throwing him into games we need to be winning and his faults being shown and he being dragged off or anything like that. Davies was killed from over exposure, people always clamoured for Dowell and Barkley is still seen as some amazing player, we have a terrible habit of overhyping youngsters, let him be a new Osman or something, someone unspectacular that can do a job, they're not all world beaters just let them learn and grow.

Honestly a bit surpised at how annoyed people are getting about him not being in the squad. Richy is out Tosun is our 3rd choice striker so he's obviously on the bench. Gordon competes with other wingers but has he shown anything in the PL games he's played to warrant a place in the team? I don't think so. I don't think Bernard, Iwobi or Gylfi have done great either but it's important to have a bit of perspective that these are all expirienced internationals, Gordon is 19. At very worst we can put Bernard in the shop window for the next 2 months and Gordon gets in the squad after training more with the first team, alternatively he goes out on loan and comes back with some game time under his belt.

Can we please not have another Tom Davies situation on our hands where a player who's proved nothing aside from a half in a game or anything like that is getting people on the manager's back? I can't see how anyone can say Gordon is someone who should be playing for us every week or in the squad. He's a prospect let him learn and adapt to Carlo's style and we can see how he plays, Iwobi and Bernard are better options than him for Carlo, especially now that we've been in a poor patch of form.

The last thing Carlo or Gordon needs is throwing him into games we need to be winning and his faults being shown and he being dragged off or anything like that. Davies was killed from over exposure, people always clamoured for Dowell and Barkley is still seen as some amazing player, we have a terrible habit of overhyping youngsters, let him be a new Osman or something, someone unspectacular that can do a job, they're not all world beaters just let them learn and grow.

I'm not saying he's ready or not mate but what he offers is something we're lacking without Richarlison, he drives forward with the ball. Also, could he be any worse than Sigurdsson?

I'm not saying he's ready or not mate but what he offers is something we're lacking without Richarlison, he drives forward with the ball. Also, could he be any worse than Sigurdsson?
I honestly don't feel he would do much if at all better than Gylfi at the moment, through no real fault of his own. I just don't think he's ready, like Nkonkou. They can show pieces but they're both not ready for PL yet. Quite frankly if 2 players are playing to the same quality then I'd prefer the burden to fall on Gylfi, he can take the criticism easier, it might really effect Gordon if he were to get the blame for a performance or play badly or whatever like that. On the wing I do think Iwobi and Bernard are much safer bets, I'd be more than happy to sell one of them though and allow Gordon to be an understudy and compete with the one that's left.

I honestly don't feel he would do much if at all better than Gylfi at the moment, through no real fault of his own. I just don't think he's ready, like Nkonkou. They can show pieces but they're both not ready for PL yet. Quite frankly if 2 players are playing to the same quality then I'd prefer the burden to fall on Gylfi, he can take the criticism easier, it might really effect Gordon if he were to get the blame for a performance or play badly or whatever like that. On the wing I do think Iwobi and Bernard are much safer bets, I'd be more than happy to sell one of them though and allow Gordon to be an understudy and compete with the one that's left.
Even Iwobi is better than Siggurdson mate...

Why isn’t he playing premier league games?

Because he hasn’t shown anything in premier league games

Why hasn’t he shown anything in premier league games?

Because he hasn’t played enough premier league games.

Why isn’t he playing premier league games?...

etc etc... It’s circular reasoning that excludes anyone from the team who isn’t already playing in the first 11... hate it. It’s why we’re stuck with Siggurdson and deserve him.

Status
Not open for further replies.