2023/24 Andre Gomes

Grim reading those names and how they ended up.

We have also had a fair bit of awful luck. Gbamin, Bolasie and Tosun injuries basically ended their top flight careers. All of which if they hadnt had those injuries would have had resale value but all left for zero.
Yes, serious injury is a gamble with all transfers, there are questions over how Gbamin slipped through the net when for instance Forsell didn't. Both knee injuries iirc. Dr Spock on duty one day, Mr Magoo on duty the next? Also the glaring problem with our former Icelandic captain and the final throes of that professional relationship and thus the impossibility of recouping any of his record outlay fee.

A club can carry a bad signing and maybe a bad injury here and there, squads are built with a bit of margin in them, but when bad luck, bad signings and bad attitudes converge in one small spell, it's a long term disaster and near enough impossible to recover from quickly.

So here we are, treading water again, hoping and praying that another Lescott, Stones, Rooney, Gordon, Branthwaite is unearthed and can save out bacon.

We get level, or even better slightly ahead and then the ego's turn up to cripple us. Then it's back to at least one generation of heartache and humiliation as we work our way off the scrap heap and flog the cutlery hutch the family silver used to live in before it was flogged and we go again.

There's a lot of koemans, allardyces, benitez's out there that'll turn up and gamble with someone else's money, then run for the hills like the fat wastes of skid marked undies they are.

Everton : Shambles!

100% mate that's had an impact on his injury history and amount of games missed. He just comes across as the kind of player who has a niggle and misses a match or 2 whereas other players are available week in week out.

He's been another dreadful signing where we spent big and had next to nothing in return. Another one I'll wave off into the sunset with no hard feelings but delighted someone else will have to foot his weekly wage instead of us.

Edit - I just want to add that no Everton player should be on or close to 100k per week. We simply aren't good enough to paying those type of wages.
Nah, except maybe Tarks or Pickford, myb Doucs no one should be on this wage. They are all around or over 100k.

Big earners this summer expiring. These 4 players alone had 1/4 of the whole money spent on wages.
Harrison 90k, Dele 100k, Gomes 115k and Gueye 80k.

The only one I would keep in our circumstances is Gueye as squad player for another season if he accepts his wages to be lowered to 50-60k. We will have a couple of changes in the squad surely, so to still have some consistency.

Nah, except maybe Tarks or Pickford, myb Doucs no one should be on this wage. They are all around or over 100k.

Big earners this summer expiring. These 4 players alone had 1/4 of the whole money spent on wages.

The only one I would keep in our circumstances is Gueye as squad player for another season if he accepts his wages to be lowered to 50-60k. We will have a couple of changes in the squad surely, so to still have some consistency.

I wouldn't have any of them on anything close to 100k mate. Do Burnley, Sheff Utd, Luton, Bournemouth etc have anyone on 100k a week?

The minute a player is asking for 100k+ a week is the minute they need shifting.100k a week players should be getting you into Europe. We pay wages of a top half team but in reality we are miles away from that.

I'm sure I read that Gana has the option to extend his contract. I doubt that comes with a halve your wage clause doubt he will take any less

I wouldn't have any of them on anything close to 100k mate. Do Burnley, Sheff Utd, Luton, Bournemouth etc have anyone on 100k a week?

The minute a player is asking for 100k+ a week is the minute they need shifting.100k a week players should be getting you into Europe. We pay wages of a top half team but in reality we are miles away from that.
You are right as of now. If we minded the normal values of only spending what you earn, then we would have have way better financial possibilities than the clubs you mentioned to be a mid table club in the league, but we massively overspent for years unfortunately. We all know it's easier to build up high costs, then to lower them quickly. The consequences are visible now. Ok, the covid drop couldn't be forseen.

I only found predictions for 22-23, but in 21/22 we spent 95% of our wages, which was the highest in the whole league (173 of 181m), resulting in a loss of over 40m. Recommended is around 70% maximum of the revenue, what would have made a profit of around 3-4m in that period.

Hopefully will be a bit better in 24-25 due to the falling off of some big earners, but the 50m yearly interests are worrying. We can have a few 100k earners on the list, but really only the best key players.

At least when this lad is on the pitch I feel like we have a threat at creating a goal.

Some of the passing between Garner, Gomes, Onana, and McNeil looks real tidy.

I get so frustrated with the frequent turnovers from Harrison and Doucoure.