2023/24 Andre Gomes

Both/and

He can thread that pass, but not well enough to make up for his deficits.

It’s disheartening, how ineffective Gomes is in any defensive activity. He rarely wins loose balls, never overpowers an opponent or uses his body to shield the ball, can always be knocked away with a strong shoulder or hip. He lunges late for balls that cannot be won (because his opponent has already dribbled past him as if he were a lamppost) and gets whistled for fouls at a ridiculous rate.

I was going to say that he could be effective to spell Garner or Douc late if we needed an attacking mid, but in reflection our manager doesn’t sub.

Vaulting myself, from 13 December.

The irony being that he won the ball for his silky assist to Dom by shoulder-barging that Spurs knob off the ball. Should never have been waved off. Ref and linesman both right there, looked at it unperturbed. Doesn't get another thought if it happens in the middle of the park.

Like Myko, he seems to have put on some muscle. He also definitely seems to have a mean streak which he didn't have before, his on-the-pitch personality was kind of whiny and guilty. Saturday he was just stone cold ruthless.

‘Kin ell Gomes, yer jumpers a bit red LAD
IMG_6332.jpeg

Bin.

Do you remember every game Doucoure played under Benitez and Lampard?

But yet under Dyche many say he’s our most influential player in terms of the outcomes of our matches…

I know Gomes has played less than one full game under Dyche, but he was pretty damn good - I’ll be interested to see how he plays in the next few games, but he’s done enough to warrant a start in that 10 role to find out IMO, especially if Doucoure is still out.
A start? Isn’t that literally the first game he’s played in 2 years, we have options in CM and others that can play behind the striker as a 10, he shouldn’t be in front of them for a start until he’s shown he can come on and consistently contribute something to the team.

For me, start him, then if not doing it, take him off. He’s a confidence player, start him gives him confidence.
A starting place in the team should be earned through consistent performances, unless injuries or suspensions dictate, who do you drop for him to start?

Do you remember every game Doucoure played under Benitez and Lampard?

But yet under Dyche many say he’s our most influential player in terms of the outcomes of our matches…

I know Gomes has played less than one full game under Dyche, but he was pretty damn good - I’ll be interested to see how he plays in the next few games, but he’s done enough to warrant a start in that 10 role to find out IMO, especially if Doucoure is still out.
Of course I don’t remember every player’s games but as bad as someone like Doucoure has been under previous managers i don’t think he has plumbed the depths that Gomes has reached at Everton.

There is no doubt he is a technically skilled footballer and occasionally has a good game in him…remember his comeback game against Arsenal under Ancellotti?

Given the state of Everton on and off the pitch Andre Gomes reflects all the mistakes of the past…IMO we need to move on at the end of the season.

Looked a different team against Spurs with Gomes; Gana is ok at what he does but Gomes has the ability
to run matches.

Can Gomes play like that every week and stay fit? If he does then its great news.

I think he’ll shine in a well structured team which is what we are now, just before and after his injury our teams and tactics were just chaos. He’s earned a place in the team though
This. When was the last time we were so organised, the whole team working effectively together. Makes a big difference and allows the "flair" players that little more time to operate

He was pretty unpopular for a long period of time. Gomes on the other hand was excellent in his first season and most of us were delighted when we managed to sign him. I agree he has been a massive disappointment but it's possible we have been asking him to play in a position which is physically beyond him. He's a decent option at home or off the bench if nothing else.
It's a the hair and the beard 😍