2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't you the fella that says anyone not enthusiastically cheering Benitez and the boys as soon as the season starts isn't a proper bloo and should be rooted out of the club? Odd stance to take on Gomes given that viewpoint.

Gomes has robbed the club of millions in wages putting in lazy performances.

Benitez hasn't even managed a single game yet.

Massive difference.

I think Gomes will surprise a few people this season. He never had enough time to recover from the severity of his injury and I don't think Carlo's training sessions were the most intense to aid his physical recovery. His style of play definitely wasn't intense...

I think Rafael will be the type of manager he needs to get his fitness and intensity back up to speed and I expect our team style to be more intense, rather than slow and controlled..

I think Gomes will surprise a few people this season. He never had enough time to recover from the severity of his injury and I don't think Carlo's training sessions were the most intense to aid his physical recovery. His style of play definitely wasn't intense...

I think Rafael will be the type of manager he needs to get his fitness and intensity back up to speed and I expect our team style to be more intense, rather than slow and controlled..
I'd dearly love to agree as he too seems a very likeable fella. But not seeing it, he has lost the ability to move or react with any degree of pace or unpredictability. The most one paced midfielder going.

I'd dearly love to agree as he too seems a very likeable fella. But not seeing it, he has lost the ability to move or react with any degree of pace or unpredictability. The most one paced midfielder going.
You lose that ability with physical fitness. Let's see. Starts with a clean slate from me. Everyone goes through low points in their life and he is coming off the back of his lowest.

Am getting that from the two training videos ... it looks more fitness based and intense but that could just be standard pre season programming

When he initially signed on loan in Aug. 2018 I genuinely could not contain my excitement. I considered him to be neck and neck with Leon Goretzka for most promising young box-to-box midfielders in world football.

3-Years later and I believe his technical ability has remained stagnant and his tactical understanding has declined failing to deliver on his earlier promise, while his physical ability and fitness has never recovered from his injury (I have yet to forgive Son for that malicious challenge).

When watching Gomes play I am always impressed with his range of passing and close control when in possession. Then in equal measures I become frustrated with his positioning both offensively and defensively as well as his refusal to carry the ball forward up the pitch himself, although it's mostly due to a lack of spacing on the pitch.

Every time Andre gets the ball he has 4 options:
1. Pass wide to Digne.
2. Pass forward to Richarlison who in turn immediately loses possession.
3. Pass back to Keane.
3. Look at Siggurdson who is standing still marked by a defender and pointing back to Keane.

I believe the technical ability to be a great player is still there, but if he is going to succeed in the premier league it will be as a playmaker given that his physical skill set may never fully recover.

If Benetiz can provide improved tactical positioning instructions to Gomes, remove Siggurdson from the squad entirely, and get Richarlison to play as a wide midfielder as opposed to an inside forward you will see an Andre Gomes with more space and time when on the ball and hopefully providing loads of assists and key passes.

If we continue to use him as a defensive midfielder or the Box-to-box midfielder we thought he was pre-injury he will be playing his club football in Italy/Spain come January.

My biggest irk with him, there are many but this is the biggest -

he continually gets dribbled past or ends up out of position, and then commits dumb-ass fouls, with no chance of winning the ball back.

Count on it being in a bad spot too.

Just looked it up on whoscored - he was eighth in the league last season with 2.0 fouls per 90 for players with minimum 1000 minutes. He got fouled 0.8 per 90

When he initially signed on loan in Aug. 2018 I genuinely could not contain my excitement. I considered him to be neck and neck with Leon Goretzka for most promising young box-to-box midfielders in world football.

3-Years later and I believe his technical ability has remained stagnant and his tactical understanding has declined failing to deliver on his earlier promise, while his physical ability and fitness has never recovered from his injury (I have yet to forgive Son for that malicious challenge).

When watching Gomes play I am always impressed with his range of passing and close control when in possession. Then in equal measures I become frustrated with his positioning both offensively and defensively as well as his refusal to carry the ball forward up the pitch himself, although it's mostly due to a lack of spacing on the pitch.

Every time Andre gets the ball he has 4 options:
1. Pass wide to Digne.
2. Pass forward to Richarlison who in turn immediately loses possession.
3. Pass back to Keane.
3. Look at Siggurdson who is standing still marked by a defender and pointing back to Keane.

I believe the technical ability to be a great player is still there, but if he is going to succeed in the premier league it will be as a playmaker given that his physical skill set may never fully recover.

If Benetiz can provide improved tactical positioning instructions to Gomes, remove Siggurdson from the squad entirely, and get Richarlison to play as a wide midfielder as opposed to an inside forward you will see an Andre Gomes with more space and time when on the ball and hopefully providing loads of assists and key passes.

If we continue to use him as a defensive midfielder or the Box-to-box midfielder we thought he was pre-injury he will be playing his club football in Italy/Spain come January.

Siggy can at least pull the odd moment of brilliance out of his ass.

What does Gomes do well? Nothing as far as I can see.

My biggest irk with him, there are many but this is the biggest -

he continually gets dribbled past or ends up out of position, and then commits dumb-ass fouls, with no chance of winning the ball back.

Count on it being in a bad spot too.

Just looked it up on whoscored - he was eighth in the league last season with 2.0 fouls per 90 for players with minimum 1000 minutes. He got fouled 0.8 per 90

How often did those occur immediately after a selfish Richarlison turnover with Digne the highest footballer up the pitch? It happened so often Gomes started playing too deep when in possession anticipating the turnover and effectively making himself useless for anything but recirculating possession.

New manager, new season. Give him a chance as he was pretty good prior to the assault by Son. I'm hopeful but if he wants a future here he needs to step up big style.

Status
Not open for further replies.