2019/20 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you underestimate the physical and mental impact of such an injury. To weaken a joint which your entire body weight goes through takes some getting used to. I dislocated my knee twice at 27 and never properly played football again for 5 years. It is tough as you are always thinking 'what if' every tackle you go in for. It takes time to get over it
Does it make you do it before you get the injury aswell, as your mind has already anticipated what’s going to happen to you? Heavy that like.

His first instinct when he gets the ball seems to be to turn back, rather than look forward. Our attacks are too slow and end up going nowhere. Andre seems to just slow things down too often, takes the safe option and contributes little. There was one occasion when he got the ball and straight away turned back to face our goal. He had become that predictable that the a Spurs player nipped in. If his instinct was to go forward, he had space to carry the ball and start an attack. I’m struggling to remember him running forward with the ball at all. At least Davies will try and go forward, even if he lacks quality. So will Gordon, who was the only midfielder who looked near good enough. We generally lack tempo in our play, Sig and Gomes are the worst culprits imo. I don’t think they should ever play together, but we have limited options.

Does it make you do it before you get the injury aswell, as your mind has already anticipated what’s going to happen to you? Heavy that like.

Of course he had bad games pre injury. On balance my opinion is that he is generally a good player. If as fans we wrote off a player every time they had a bad game, or even a bad run of form, then we'd probably end up with a team of players that had no confidence and a weak mentality.....

Of course he had bad games pre injury. On balance my opinion is that he is generally a good player. If as fans we wrote off a player every time they had a bad game, or even a bad run of form, then we'd probably end up with a team of players that had no confidence and a weak mentality.....
He’s played 41 games for us now and honestly I’d say there've been half a dozen where he’s looked the business, half a dozen shockers, and the rest have ranged from pretty good down to pretty poor. It’s not about writing him off it’s about being honest about what we’re seeing. According to many on here We’ve got a world class director of football, a world class manager, and a team full of really good players who are just young/getting used to the league/coming back from injury/not being used correctly/not appreciated enough/not got the right team mates to get the best out of them. And yet here we are in the bottom half of the table with 5 games left.

He’s played 41 games for us now and honestly I’d say there've been half a dozen where he’s looked the business, half a dozen shockers, and the rest have ranged from pretty good down to pretty poor. It’s not about writing him off it’s about being honest about what we’re seeing. According to many on here We’ve got a world class director of football, a world class manager, and a team full of really good players who are just young/getting used to the league/coming back from injury/not being used correctly/not appreciated enough/not got the right team mates to get the best out of them. And yet here we are in the bottom half of the table with 5 games left.

It is unfair to rope Ancelotti in to it. We've done well since he has been here.

I'm hopeful of finishing top half and we were 15th when he arrived.

It is unfair to rope Ancelotti in to it. We've done well since he has been here.

I'm hopeful of finishing top half and we were 15th when he arrived.
I’m not knocking Ancelotti. I’m just talking about some people who just won’t accept criticism of anything Everton related. There are so many posters who defend everything that ever happens. It’s the same people who say you’re a bedwetter all summer if you point out that maybe selling your best player and not replacing them might not be the best route to success.

tenor.gif

I’m not knocking Ancelotti. I’m just talking about some people who just won’t accept criticism of anything Everton related. There are so many posters who defend everything that ever happens. It’s the same people who say you’re a bedwetter all summer if you point out that maybe selling your best player and not replacing them might not be the best route to success.

It is also fair to point out this isn't a disaster. Balance is key here.

It was a rubbish match, against a team with better players, that we were actually unfortunate to lose, 0-0 being a fairer result. This after a good run in the 3 matches prior.

Currently we are mid table with an unbalanced squad. This is just the start of Carlo's journey with us.

You cannot defend the vast majority of players since we restarted. We defended well against the RS, were poor and nicked a goal from a set piece against the worst team in the league. We had a good opening 15 mins against Leicester and then hung on for the next 85 mins. Tonight we were very poor against the worst spurs team I’ve seen in a decade. Ancelotti has got a massive job on his hands as to put it bluntly, many of the players he’s inherited are not premier league standard, let alone good enough for a team challenging for Europe.

It is also fair to point out this isn't a disaster. Balance is key here.

It was a rubbish match, against a team with better players, that we were actually unfortunate to lose, 0-0 being a fairer result. This after a good run in the 3 matches prior.

Currently we are mid table with an unbalanced squad. This is just the start of Carlo's journey with us.
How’s it an unfortunate loss when you’re behind for 70 minutes and the opposition keeper hasn’t had to dirty his kit? It was a dreadful game but the onus was on us to score and we never looked like it.

How’s it an unfortunate loss when you’re behind for 70 minutes and the opposition keeper hasn’t had to dirty his kit? It was a dreadful game but the onus was on us to score and we never looked like it.

Did Spurs have a big chance?

Without that deflected goal I feel confident it would have been a 0-0, with a poor performance from both sides.

You cannot defend the vast majority of players since we restarted. We defended well against the RS, were poor and nicked a goal from a set piece against the worst team in the league. We had a good opening 15 mins against Leicester and then hung on for the next 85 mins. Tonight we were very poor against the worst spurs team I’ve seen in a decade. Ancelotti has got a massive job on his hands as to put it bluntly, many of the players he’s inherited are not premier league standard, let alone good enough for a team challenging for Europe.
Totally agree. That’s my point really, that people keep saying ‘you can’t knock Gomes/digne/Keane/Mina/dcl/Kean/holgate/Richarlison etc etc’ but they’re all playing under an undeniably top manager and we’re rubbish. Clearly some of them aren’t as good as people think.

Does it impact your ability to make 5 yard passes under no pressure as well? Because he can’t do that either.

Unfair. He misplaced 5 passes tonight and made significantly more passes than his midfield partner for most of the match (see attached). 3 of the misplaced 5 came later in the game as he tired. Richarlison also misplaced 5 passes in the game for comparison. Gylfi's pass map is 100% x rated and actually a joke (I can't actually bring myself to post it) . He is the guy we should all be berating, not Gomes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200707-003944.png
    Screenshot_20200707-003944.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 59

Status
Not open for further replies.