2019/20 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no stat for putting the ball half s yard in front of people either but its so important. The likes of gana and schniederlin put the ball right into feet or even just behind, so when you get a pass from them your first thought it to protect it, get a pass from Gomes and you already have forward momentum. Now both of these will go under completed pass but theres a massive difference and how it affects a teams tempo
It’s a passing technique that is a bit riskier and therefore may not always come but then passing accuracy stats don’t win games.

It’s a passing technique that is a bit riskier and therefore may not always come but then passing accuracy stats don’t win games.
Yeah agreed, its about responsibility as well and being a 'generous' player. He's taking a risk but not for selfish reasons, he's taking on the responsibility of building a tempo for the team. Gomes is a brave player and its nothing to do with physicality, though he has that as well with a combination of incredible body strength and balance

There is no stat for putting the ball half s yard in front of people either but its so important. The likes of gana and schniederlin put the ball right into feet or even just behind, so when you get a pass from them your first thought it to protect it, get a pass from Gomes and you already have forward momentum. Now both of these will go under completed pass but theres a massive difference and how it affects a teams tempo

"Pass completion" is the most pointless stat among a myriad of pointless stats. A pass can be "completed" but still be a terrible pass. Hence how godawful players like Schneiderlin and Henderson can hide behind the pass completion stat.

Can we just appreciate this.

I once played with a lad who not long before had been a u23 for Turkey. Of course I was really looking forward to it. First couple of passes were about 5 feet in front of me and I thought to myself blimey you're not all that, that was a bit short. Then third pass the penny dropped. He was literally putting it on the blade of grass for me to collect it with my leading foot in stride!!!!! Having been used to being always on my heels to be an easy pass it was a real eye-opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.