An American’s Introductory Guide to Supporting Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post!

4) Important Note: The song that Everton comes out to before every home match is pronounced “Zed-Cars”, not Z-Cars. Just one of the unique differences in English-English and American-English.

I disagree with this one though. Say "zee cars" if you like ... it's how you speak. Feel free to say "soccer" too -- they shouldn't have invented and popularized use of the word if they don't like it that much.

EPL!

"I disagree with this one though. Say "zee cars" if you like ... it's how you speak. Feel free to say "soccer" too -- they shouldn't have invented and popularized use of the word if they don't like it that much."

No - but it's "zed cars." It's an English TV programme and that how it's said. It's important to respect local cultures. You wouldn't think it acceptable if we pronounced "president" as "Queen" now, would you?

Off to the naughty step and learn how to spell sulphur while you're at it.

Posted this on Twitter, recently picked up a few American followers so hopefully they'll latch on and get even more into the club.

Hopefully Tim Howard has picked up American twitter followers over the World Cup and will continue to post on his return more about Everton so will encourage support from them

Great post liking the quotes , they could go on forever to be fair where that boss
but you chose good ones;) heard a lot off amercian's have been banging on about martinez's
punditry , number 18 ' Read a thread on here/ the net / scouse dictionary im sure theres one on here
you wont get lost too often then :)

My only reservation about the USA becoming a major player in world football would be that they would try to get rule changes adopted. It wasn't so long ago that they forwarded ideas to replace throw-ins with kick-ins and even to have boards up the touchlines to keep the ball in play!

My only reservation about the USA becoming a major player in world football would be that they would try to get rule changes adopted. It wasn't so long ago that they forwarded ideas to replace throw-ins with kick-ins and even to have boards up the touchlines to keep the ball in play!

Nah nothing to worry about, the FA have final vito over any rule changes, they will never agree to stuff like that, I think Americans are now embracing the game the way it is anyway.

Don't think we need to worry about rule changes. They showed last night - particularly with that last ditch free kick - that they can play a uniquely American brand of football with the rules as they are.

"I disagree with this one though. Say "zee cars" if you like ... it's how you speak. Feel free to say "soccer" too -- they shouldn't have invented and popularized use of the word if they don't like it that much."

No - but it's "zed cars." It's an English TV programme and that how it's said. It's important to respect local cultures. You wouldn't think it acceptable if we pronounced "president" as "Queen" now, would you?

Off to the naughty step and learn how to spell sulphur while you're at it.

President as Queen seems a little off-target as an analogy to be honest ... but for the record I couldn't care less if you did that. Call them both "Dorothy the constipated laughing donkey" if you like mate I couldn't give a toss about either of them.

If we were sat in a bar in New York City and you asked me to pass the chips (when you meant "fries") I wouldn't bother "correcting" you because I know what you meant. I'd just pass the fries. I respect YOUR culture -- regardless of where you happen to be located geographically at that moment. You are under no obligation to change everything about yourself just because you decide to spend a few weeks in the states.

The same for all the other countless minor differences -- if I know what you mean why bring everything to a screeching halt by making a big deal about how you were "wrong" to say chips or biscuits or flats or whatever? If I know what you mean then we have successfully communicated -- to "correct" you would frankly just be me being a C-word ... and that's the same word in both English and "American."

If you've spent 20, 30, 40 ... whatever ... years saying "zee" or "zed" you are probably going to "slip-up" at some point (or every point) ... I think it's more respectful of other cultures to acknowledge that and just ignore it rather than shine a giant spotlight on someone's "mistake" (the "mistake" of being raised and educated for decades in a certain way).

Status
Not open for further replies.