Confirmed Signing Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadou Onana: Why Everton view the £33m midfielder as a major coup​

Paul Joyce
Lampard said that Onana “has a big future and will have a big impact on the club”

Lampard said that Onana “has a big future and will have a big impact on the club”

Frank Lampard struggled to suppress a smile. The Everton manager had been asked for an appraisal of Amadou Onana, his new signing, and the grin that broke across his face, together with the words that followed, spoke volumes.

That Lampard was effusive in his praise is understandable, but it will perhaps provide additional comfort for Everton supporters that two of their former managers regard the player equally highly.

David Moyes wanted to bring Onana to West Ham United, only for his former club to hijack the deal, while Roberto Martínez has also played a part in the development of the youngster, having handed him his senior Belgium debut in the summer against Holland.

“He has a strong personality,” Martínez said. “He never hides, he asks for the ball and dares. That’s why I wanted to bring him into a situation of pressure — in a full stadium and a derby.”

Onana can play in central midfield and as a centre half

Until then, Onana’s international brief had been to guide Belgium Under-21 to qualification for next summer’s European Championship as captain. He is regarded as a leader and, if he forces his way into the Everton line-up before November, Martínez is likely to pick him for the World Cup in Qatar. That would maintain the giddy ascent of Onana, whose 6ft 4in physique has been likened to that of Marouane Fellaini and whose game has evoked comparisons with Patrick Vieira.

Onana can play as a box-to-box midfielder or as a centre half, having occupied both positions against Chelsea in last season’s Champions League round-of-16 tie. He possesses a skillset that allows him to drive with the ball, breaking the lines, and boasts pace and power to press without it.

Belgium are also trying to mould him into a disciplined No 6 who would play in front of a back three that, coincidentally, appears to be Lampard’s preferred system at present. He used that formation in the opening-weekend defeat by Chelsea and the arrival of Conor Coady, on a season-long loan deal from Wolverhampton Wanderers, indicates that the 29-year-old England player, who was signing autographs at the club’s training ground yesterday, will become the centrepiece of the defence. The signing of Coady was confirmed by Everton last night. “I’m here to give absolutely everything I’ve got for this football club,” Coady said. “It’s important I work as hard as I can to help my team-mates, help the club move forward and make people proud.”

Everton’s need for a striker was highlighted in their loss to Chelsea, but a transfer window that started with the sale of Richarlison to Tottenham Hotspur for £60 million and brought low initial expectations can yet prove a good one. Deals for James Tarkowski, Dwight McNeil and Rúben Vinagre have been completed, while Idrissa Gana Gueye’s return to Goodison Park for a nominal fee from Paris Saint-Germain is close as he negotiates a payoff.

The feeling at Everton is that Onana represents a coup after the club satisfied the Premier League over profit and sustainability rules.

That Onana, who was born in Dakar, Senegal, made only 11 starts in Ligue 1 last season shows he is a work in progress. Lampard believes patience is needed but, judging by that smile, an impact will not be too far behind.

Even at 20 years old he’s being described as a “leader”. We’re collecting them all over the pitch, which can only ever be a good thing. We’ve lacked them for years which has been part of our problem with our squad littered with mentally frail players who have no balls to respond to going behind in games. Good to see we’re putting that right, and fair play to Lampard who has recognised this pretty quickly and going about changing it.

Even at 20 years old he’s being described as a “leader”. We’re collecting them all over the pitch, which can only ever be a good thing. We’ve lacked them for years which has been part of our problem with our squad littered with mentally frail players who have no balls to respond to going behind in games. Good to see we’re putting that right, and fair play to Lampard who has recognised this pretty quickly and going about changing it.
Remember when we 'collected' Captains?

That ended well

Amadou Onana: Why Everton view the £33m midfielder as a major coup​

Paul Joyce

Frank Lampard struggled to suppress a smile. The Everton manager had been asked for an appraisal of Amadou Onana, his new signing, and the grin that broke across his face, together with the words that followed, spoke volumes.

That Lampard was effusive in his praise is understandable, but it will perhaps provide additional comfort for Everton supporters that two of their former managers regard the player equally highly.

David Moyes wanted to bring Onana to West Ham United, only for his former club to hijack the deal, while Roberto Martínez has also played a part in the development of the youngster, having handed him his senior Belgium debut in the summer against Holland.

“He has a strong personality,” Martínez said. “He never hides, he asks for the ball and dares. That’s why I wanted to bring him into a situation of pressure — in a full stadium and a derby.”

Onana can play in central midfield and as a centre half

Until then, Onana’s international brief had been to guide Belgium Under-21 to qualification for next summer’s European Championship as captain. He is regarded as a leader and, if he forces his way into the Everton line-up before November, Martínez is likely to pick him for the World Cup in Qatar. That would maintain the giddy ascent of Onana, whose 6ft 4in physique has been likened to that of Marouane Fellaini and whose game has evoked comparisons with Patrick Vieira.

Onana can play as a box-to-box midfielder or as a centre half, having occupied both positions against Chelsea in last season’s Champions League round-of-16 tie. He possesses a skillset that allows him to drive with the ball, breaking the lines, and boasts pace and power to press without it.

Belgium are also trying to mould him into a disciplined No 6 who would play in front of a back three that, coincidentally, appears to be Lampard’s preferred system at present. He used that formation in the opening-weekend defeat by Chelsea and the arrival of Conor Coady, on a season-long loan deal from Wolverhampton Wanderers, indicates that the 29-year-old England player, who was signing autographs at the club’s training ground yesterday, will become the centrepiece of the defence. The signing of Coady was confirmed by Everton last night. “I’m here to give absolutely everything I’ve got for this football club,” Coady said. “It’s important I work as hard as I can to help my team-mates, help the club move forward and make people proud.”

Everton’s need for a striker was highlighted in their loss to Chelsea, but a transfer window that started with the sale of Richarlison to Tottenham Hotspur for £60 million and brought low initial expectations can yet prove a good one. Deals for James Tarkowski, Dwight McNeil and Rúben Vinagre have been completed, while Idrissa Gana Gueye’s return to Goodison Park for a nominal fee from Paris Saint-Germain is close as he negotiates a payoff.

The feeling at Everton is that Onana represents a coup after the club satisfied the Premier League over profit and sustainability rules.

That Onana, who was born in Dakar, Senegal, made only 11 starts in Ligue 1 last season shows he is a work in progress. Lampard believes patience is needed but, judging by that smile, an impact will not be too far behind.
Strange of Joyce to put that out before he's unveiled.
Club must have give him the nod to do it ......imminent ?

Status
Not open for further replies.