Alex 'Sandy' Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always be remembered for 'that' own goal against the RS - was a good servant for the club and played most of the title-winning 69/70 games

RIP

The Scottish utility man was signed from Partick Thistle for £38,000 in September 1963. Brown had represented the Scottish League earlier that month.The athletic hard man played in several positions. Harry Catterick saw his ability to read the game and played him in front of the back four when it was needed. Against West Ham he was deployed to intercept through balls toward Hurst and Peters.

He was most effective as an overlapping full-back but also played as an emergency attacker and scored against Real Zaragoza in a European game during the 1966-67 season. In fact he played in every position during his Everton career, including goalkeeper against Newcastle United, after Gordon West was sent off. He played four games on Everton's way to the 1966 FA Cup Final but didn't play at Wembley and missed out on a winner's medal. He did achieve silverware though, picking up a League Champions medal for the 1969-70 season with Everton.

I was just starting to support Everton in the late sixties and for some reason Sandy Brown was a favourite player of mine...with Joe Royle and Colin Harvey.
R.I.P

I was just starting to support Everton in the late sixties and for some reason Sandy Brown was a favourite player of mine...with Joe Royle and Colin Harvey.
R.I.P
Perhaps the least remembered regular in the 1969-70 champions
One of the best teams I have ever seen (and yes I did see Sundays game)
Football was a different game all together then, so it would be ridiculous to try and compare the teams, but I get the same feeling of awe watching Roberto's team lately. :celebrate:

I was in the Gwladys St end when he scored that superb og for the RS - however I will remember him as a great EFC servant and an unsung hero who could play anywhere - he was an important member of the squad for a number of seasons and was rewarded with a Div 1 medal in 1970 RIP Sandy

RIP Sandy. I wasn't around to see it but from what I hear and from what I have read and seen on video (old clips etc) he was a key player in one of the greatest footballing sides this country has ever seen (maybe the best...though it is hard to compare teams from different eras as the game as changed). As Boris says above, I also get a sense of awe from watching this new Everton side when they are really going for it.

Poor fella.

Scored a cracking own goal in a derby didn't he? For a while own goals were called 'doing a sandy'.

Many pundits including Saint and Greavsie celebrated the goal in later years, with Danny Baker referring to it is "the own goal by which all other own goals are surely measured"

062_sandy_brown.JPG

I was in the Gwladys St end when he scored that superb og for the RS - however I will remember him as a great EFC servant and an unsung hero who could play anywhere - he was an important member of the squad for a number of seasons and was rewarded with a Div 1 medal in 1970 RIP Sandy

.....similar sentiments with me, was watching the Blues when Sandy arrived in early 60s and also witnessed that own goal. Remembered as a versatile, utility type player but most of all a proper Blue. Thanks for the memories.

Good luck upstairs old fella my dad will be first to shake your hand, thanks for being a true blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.