2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please follow up such a positive showing with another one this coming Saturday Alex. Momentum and consistency should be to forefront of your mind this week young man. You have the attributes, you need to show more self confidence as you did in the first half yesterday,

I like him as a right wing back, it simplifies his game and he doesn't have to think too much. Get the ball, cross it in. And his delivery yesterday was outstanding. I also think it helps him having the whole game in front of him from an attacking perspective as he doesn't have to play with his head on a swivel. I wouldn't trust him in a 4 though, he still defends like a winger, but in a 5 hes ahead of Kenny comfortably for me.

Or it could just be Fulham making him look like Cafu.

Or it could just be Fulham making him look like Cafu.
Very much this. They are one of the worst defensive outfits I’ve seen in the premier league and we scraped it in the end. Can’t believe how easy it was to run through them at times. Better teams will and have punished us.

My concern with him is he thinks he might be able to stroll now for a while. His best and only 45 mins yest starting a game. Disapeared 2nd half but allan aside so did all of them.
The i look like i cant be arsed wont cut it anymore. Prob done enough to start next game. Needs to show richarlison type i wana win attitude every game.

I mean to be fair, if everyone wants Iwobi as a wing back why not just play 4-3-3 and stick him on the right wing. Same offensive job, not the same defensive responsibility.

Because his end product in the final third is lacking. It’s a very very different role, you can be a good wing back by simply being fast and energetic, the likes of Adama Traore and Victor Moses have found their niche in that position.

Because his end product in the final third is lacking. It’s a very very different role, you can be a good wing back by simply being fast and energetic, the likes of Adama Traore and Victor Moses have found their niche in that position.

I mean I saw him put in 4-5 very decent balls in yesterday and a run which led to the goal. Not saying he's class but he can do the same as yesterday without leaving a gaping hole behind him.

I mean I saw him put in 4-5 very decent balls in yesterday and a run which led to the goal. Not saying he's class but he can do the same as yesterday without leaving a gaping hole behind him.

That’s the beauty of the wing back system though, the right sided centre back becomes an auxiliary full back to plug that gaping hole if the opposition counter. It’s the perfect middle ground to stick a player who doesn’t really excel at either defending or attacking. It’s a system that hides their deficiencies and utilises their physical strengths. If we had a left footed centre back it’d be the perfect system for us.

Reactions: JLW

That’s the beauty of the wing back system though, the right sided centre back becomes an auxiliary full back to plug that gaping hole if the opposition counter. It’s the perfect middle ground to stick a player who doesn’t really excel at either defending or attacking. It’s a system that hides their deficiencies and utilises their physical strengths. If we had a left footed centre back it’d be the perfect system for us.

Or we just have a RB behind him.

Well no, because then you’re putting a responsibility on him to be more productive in the final third aren’t you? Which he’s not very good at.
He is no full back plus our defensive system needs reorganising anyway as we are shipping in too many goals not every team is going to flunk a pen like yesterday v us.....
Our right-hand side is a dream for any team to expose atm.....

He is no full back plus our defensive system needs reorganising anyway as we are shipping in too many goals not every team is going to flunk a pen like yesterday v us.....
Our right-hand side is a dream for any team to expose atm.....

They scored their second about 5 seconds after the missed pen, so both of those scenarios wouldn’t have happened and the result would probably have been the same. Also pretty much all of their pressure came down our left yesterday.

They scored their second about 5 seconds after the missed pen, so both of those scenarios wouldn’t have happened and the result would probably have been the same. Also pretty much all of their pressure came down our left yesterday.
Only because their winger changed wings to push Deign back the first half we had a bit of discomfort on the right-hand side, but overall could have gone in at least 4-1 up - 2nd half defensively midfield wise a total disaster a better team would have punished us as for the pen, plus who's to say they would not have score two in two minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.