Alcaraz for Besic in derby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanley Parker

Player Valuation: £15m
"Substitutions are now too late, no change in formation (the infamous plan B) and dare i say it - negative, anybody managed to understand Alcaraz for Besic in the derby yet ?" Can this post by Paul Bernard be the own goal of the season?

Against Liverpool, Martinez planned to contain the opposition with three defensive midfield players - Barry, Besic and McCarthy. This was reasonably successful, but limited Everton's attacking potential. Until the change, Everton hadn't managed a shot on target.

For the last five minutes, Martinez decided to go for a win by bringing on Barkley for Naismith and pushing the full backs forward. He took off one of the trio of defensive midfield players - Besic - and brought on Alcaraz to play in a back three.

With three at the back - Stones, Jagielka and Alcaraz - Baines and Coleman were able to push forward as wing backs. The change was immediately successful. Barkley released Coleman who put in strong shot; only a great save from Mignolet denied Everton a goal and a win.

So Martinez does change his formation and make positive substitutions. And, yes, there was a purpose in bringing on Alcaraz for Besic.

Alacaraz for Besic was to protect Besic after his attempted stamp on Ibe. I saw it live and I don't care what anyone says I was worried for him and thought he might be off.

I agree, looking objectively he deserves praise when he gets it right and criticism when wrong, instead of slagging him off to fit an agenda.

I think maybe Martinez was naive this season in thinking we could just attack teams and take the league by storm.

But he seems to have learned from that. Resilience and solidity is needed at times and there has been a slight improvement recently.

The derby itself was a complete snooze fest but it was good management, just a shame Coleman never slotted.

It's an Everton forum lads.

An Everton fan, has come on, and started some discussion around Everton.

Can you leave your mardy, miserable arses else where?

Thanks.
spchlss.gif

Reactions: AlE
Martinez has been shocking with subs but to be fair that one was spot on, he had to do it, Besic was walking a thin line that was getting thinner. To be honest Besic wasn't playing to his normal high standard anyway, maybe the early card effected him who knows. Martinez has made a lot of terrible dessisions this season but that sub wasn't one of them.

I was also saying that the sub wasn't as negative as people originally thought.

However, the problem was that he left the change too late and there was perhaps a better case to drop one of Barry or Besic into a back 3 and use the last sub to bring Kone on.
Barry into a back 3 and Kone on, should it have been obvious if the game was there to win?

Status
Not open for further replies.