Accommodating disabled fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrb85

Player Valuation: £35m
Apparently GP will be required to provide 90 more spaces (all wheelchair sized spaces?) for disabled supporters by the start of the 2017/8 season. No problem obviously with that (assuming there is that level of demand) but presumably the intention will likely be to remove the existing front rows of the Bullens, Street End and Enclosure stands. Surely it would be better to have a properly designed area (somewhere), one that not only provides better viewing but, as a side issue, also helps retain the current capability of GP to intimidate the opposition through the proximity of a densely populated crowd to the playing area.

Very hard to retrofit old buildings for disabled access
New stadium needed.

'The pit' has loads of dense people close to the pitch, and it isn't too intimidating.

Found this article about the difficulties encountered by a disabled fan at both Goodison and away matches interesting, had never really thought through some of the points she raised like being in the home end and not being able to sit with friends/family.
http://theviewsofbluenoseamy.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/i-just-want-to-go-match.html
Really good article, thanks for sharing. My brother is partially sighted and fortunately enough when we go to Goodson he brings his accessibility in his pocket as a monocular but I would hate the idea of him missing things because of his challenges. Ironically he actually sees some things a lot better than the rest of us do sometimes! Hope there is a way to make it fair for all

makes sense to cut out a section of the Family enclosure, to link the bottom on the FE to link with the Disabled access in the Lower Gwladys Street.

Really good article, thanks for sharing. My brother is partially sighted and fortunately enough when we go to Goodson he brings his accessibility in his pocket as a monocular but I would hate the idea of him missing things because of his challenges. Ironically he actually sees some things a lot better than the rest of us do sometimes! Hope there is a way to make it fair for all
Read this earlier Amy is a top blue who never misses a game which makes it more applaudable when you see some of the views she has,even at GP I have seen here after the match soaked threw with sitting in the rain at the front of the Park end.

My dad is disabled and we have been going to games for over 10 years together, we started off sitting with the away fans in the lower Bullens, usually that was ok, had a bit of banter with most away fans, but one set of fans got us really scared after them giving us abuse that we asked to be moved, which the stewards did im glad to say. Believe it or not there is a waiting list for season tickets for disabled fans, it took us a few years to get one, and now we dont want to give it up.

We have been to some away games, one that sticks in my mind is Newcastle away, when we got there our ticket was with the away fans far away from our own fans, and we wanted to enjoy the game with OUR fans, so we talked to a steward and between us we carried my dad up some stairs and watched the match with our own fans, obviously totally risky should something happen, but im glad we were able to. It really is quite shocking some of the things and abuse disabled fans have to put up with, and ive long wanted it to be changed so im glad things are finally being done to correct something that should have been looked at years ago.

Yes there is demand for tickets, and i really hope people dont view putting in extra facilities for disabled fans is seen as taking away seats or areas for other people. We are all fans of football and thats all that should matter, football brings people together and we should always give everyone the same match going experience.

I think football is still playing catch up with the rest of the country with regards to disability. From what I have seen some of the lower league grounds seem better equipped to accommodate fans with disability, as they aren't all seating which makes a difference too - ease of access. Disabled fans should never ever be near the away fans full stop or separated from their family.

The disabled section is a horrible place to sit. I was in there a few years ago, had a 2nd hip replacement and asked the club if i could go into the Park End via the disabled access because i couldn't manage a turn style so soon after the op, they said only if i sit in the disabled section. To me it felt like no thought had gone into it, something from the 70s, as a club who do so much in the community i am sure they should be able to do more for the disabled fans at Goodision.
They built them 4 rows in front of the main stand easy enough a couple of years back, maybe they could add some more seats down the other end to allow some decent seating options for a few lost seats freeing some space for better disabled section?

Status
Not open for further replies.