A little bit of praise

Status
Not open for further replies.

blukaku

Player Valuation: £950k
This might be a dangerous thing to do, but I just wanted to give bobby a little bit of praise. It is fairly evident that this season has been a steep learning curve for what is a young team (albeit a team with a fair bit of dead wood) and a young manager. Last season we played at a canter. From the moment that Bobby bagged his first win we were majestic, swotting aside teams with ease. In the most part, our momentum was too much for most of the mid table dross and the relegation scrappers, and we all know this is where you need to take away points. Things weren't always this easy though. If you remember, our first 3 results were fairly abject. A 2-2 draw was followed by two 0-0 stalemates. Sound familiar?
Despite only accumulating a meagre 3 points here, the foundations of our season were laid down. We set out with the intention of being tough to beat, making sure that we always got something out of a game whilst maintaining the philosophy.
This season, we lost that ethic. We started off with an arrogance, but a sloppy arrogance. We know we have a good squad but we have been mentally fragile all season, and have always looked likely to concede. We were not helped by a difficult set of initial fixtures but that cannot be an excuse. The simple explanation is that, we have been too easily beaten. As a result, the fans have lost faith in the ability of the players and the players lost the ability in themselves. Confidence was low.
This is where I think a little praise is due. In the last month, I have seen a change. We have become the team that we were at the start of last season and that is very much to the credit to Martinez. I think he has identified that we need to redress the mindset and he has very much done this. We have been a different side since new year. Resolute without neglecting the other aspects of the game. We have become a carbon copy of the side that started last season and certainly not a coincidence.
OK drawing games is frustrating. The West Brom was frustrating. The confidence of certain attacking players was not quite there, and therefore we didn't create as much as we could've. Importantly though, we never looked like loosing. We controlled the game and if you play like that throughout the season, you will end up at the right end of the table.
If we keep on playing as we are, confidence will grow, the fans will get off the players back and we will turn things around. People just need to calm down and have a little faith.

He seems to have lost the dressing room, i would much rather see him gone and have Mirallas and Eto'o stay than to see our team fall apart and have him in charge of us in the championship.

I am a fan of Martinez and i pray for his sake and Everton's that he changes it around. If for the next game he went 4-4-2 or played oviedo over naismith or mirallas (you know just little tweaks) then i would be able to see that he has realised there is a problem. At the minute playing the same old formation and players is a little depressing and insane if i am honest.

I will still try keeping the faith.

If he turns it round in the next few weeks and we get a couple of wins, you can start praising him then mate.

As it stands we've won 2 league games since the end of October.

He seems to have lost the dressing room, i would much rather see him gone and have Mirallas and Eto'o stay than to see our team fall apart and have him in charge of us in the championship.

I am a fan of Martinez and i pray for his sake and Everton's that he changes it around. If for the next game he went 4-4-2 or played oviedo over naismith or mirallas (you know just little tweaks) then i would be able to see that he has realised there is a problem. At the minute playing the same old formation and players is a little depressing and insane if i am honest.

I will still try keeping the faith.

Nothing like hedging your bets mate.....!!!

This might be a dangerous thing to do, but I just wanted to give bobby a little bit of praise. It is fairly evident that this season has been a steep learning curve for what is a young team (albeit a team with a fair bit of dead wood) and a young manager. Last season we played at a canter. From the moment that Bobby bagged his first win we were majestic, swotting aside teams with ease. In the most part, our momentum was too much for most of the mid table dross and the relegation scrappers, and we all know this is where you need to take away points. Things weren't always this easy though. If you remember, our first 3 results were fairly abject. A 2-2 draw was followed by two 0-0 stalemates. Sound familiar?
Despite only accumulating a meagre 3 points here, the foundations of our season were laid down. We set out with the intention of being tough to beat, making sure that we always got something out of a game whilst maintaining the philosophy.
This season, we lost that ethic. We started off with an arrogance, but a sloppy arrogance. We know we have a good squad but we have been mentally fragile all season, and have always looked likely to concede. We were not helped by a difficult set of initial fixtures but that cannot be an excuse. The simple explanation is that, we have been too easily beaten. As a result, the fans have lost faith in the ability of the players and the players lost the ability in themselves. Confidence was low.
This is where I think a little praise is due. In the last month, I have seen a change. We have become the team that we were at the start of last season and that is very much to the credit to Martinez. I think he has identified that we need to redress the mindset and he has very much done this. We have been a different side since new year. Resolute without neglecting the other aspects of the game. We have become a carbon copy of the side that started last season and certainly not a coincidence.
OK drawing games is frustrating. The West Brom was frustrating. The confidence of certain attacking players was not quite there, and therefore we didn't create as much as we could've. Importantly though, we never looked like loosing. We controlled the game and if you play like that throughout the season, you will end up at the right end of the table.
If we keep on playing as we are, confidence will grow, the fans will get off the players back and we will turn things around. People just need to calm down and have a little faith.

i am pro martinez (trying my best) however he does not deserve any praise, he has got his tactis wrong. also "a young team"? erm nooooooo. "keep playing as we are and we will grow in confidance?" nooooooooo we are old and playing crap. he needs to change this, and if he dares drop besic when mccarthy is back and not Barry then he will see what supports that are left for him, go.

I'd agree with the 'it seems he has realized what to do' until the last match. They looked like they went back to the whole 'pass pass pass pass pass pass give away possession' thing again. Like people are saying too, until he starts playing players in their positions and to their strengths, then Im not giving him any leway.

He needs to keep a slightly more direct game for a bit and hopefully grab a win or two then go back to normal when confidence picks up.

Trying to play the way we were last year when everyone looks so shot isnt the wisest thing to do, players taking an extra touch when not needed, players hesitating on the ball. At least theyve tweaked it a bit over the past few games but the results need to improve from draws into wins

Seems to me in this post it is mainly about the players without recognising that RM got it wrong and that it is his reasponsibilty. The players have been trying to follow his style and therein is the problem, RM refuses to change, there may be have been a little difference in the WHU games but overall it is still RM's style, it is that which is dragging us down. I have said before RM seems incapable of bringing this round, heavens the players are only 1 year older than last season, they have not in the space of that little time become OAPs.

...it's clearly not good and we are dropping into serious doo doo. I'm not on the sack him bandwagon, though. I'm clinging to the fact that most successful managers have to overcome a period when they are close to dismissal. The very best turn it around, it's up to RM to do that before it's too late.

I actually think it might be a speed thing.
The type of game Martinez wants to play has a specific tempo, any slower than that (through lack of confidence etc) then we get closed down and it spirals. Any quicker than that tempo then passes get missed and possession never gets anywhere. I think McCarthy actually naturally plays at Bobby's ideal Tempo which sets the rhythm for the rest of the team and it's why we struggle without him.

It was noticeable from the first West Ham game that we were trying to get the tempo up, and when we did we started to look our old selves again. Unfortunately without McCarthy our tempo is too inconsistent. I don't actually think we are doing anything wrong as such, but it's not working. It's either going to have to change or we get our Ginger timekeeper back to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.