6 + 2 Point Deductions

I don’t think the PL agenda is that vindictive or simple as being anti Everton but people seem to continuously overlook what the PL is, it’s a cash generating machine that has a sole aim to make money. It’s a private company accountable only to the clubs that play in it and the majority of these at the bottom are transitory members with very little sway. Its entire revenue generation model is dependent on tv deals and the sponsorships that come with that and they are dependent on eyeballs and the consumer pound that follows that.

Hence we’ve seen football teams in the lower leagues of the pyramid go to the wall without any concern from the PL or its clubs whatsoever who could have saved any of these teams in the blink of an eye. We’ve seen plans for the 39th game, the reaction to the super league teams etc. The PL may as well be a big bank, except whilst it can be as equally immoral it doesn’t have to conform to any of the regulation as bank or other large corporation would have to.

It is in the PLs interests for the teams that bring in the most viewing figures to do well. They are historically the teams at the top Liverpool Arsenal United and increasingly City and Chelsea. That is why Google UPS and Nivea are partnering with these teams and not Crystal Palace and Fulham.

It is the Pl associated media’s interest to generate content that attract these eyeballs. Pro Liverpool content is great, anti Everton content is also pretty good because more people will read that than a pro Everton piece which might get a few readers in L4 but not much wider.

This goes to a wider scale as well. UEFA and their sponsors do not want to see Everton Fulham Palace In their flagships competitions, they want United Liverpool City etc.

You can even take it wider and look at the increasing number of last day finishes now for the title and relegation places compared to previous seasons. People remember the Michael Thomas goal and Blackburn at Anfield as exceptions but since Aguero in 2011 we’ve now had 3 more occasions when the title has been decided on the last day, that’s 4 in 12 years, a far higher rate statistically than previously. Similar is happening with relegation battles to and the CL places, we are not seeing title winners, top 4 places, and bottom 3s being decided in March anymore like we used to.

If it wasn’t for the excellence of Dyche we’d be in another relegation battle now probably lasting the entirety of the season which would have sparked new life into the bottom of the table that was looking done by Christmas at the current rate. All of the news reports about Everton and the point deduction will have driven many many kopite eyeballs to the PLs media channels, and it had the associated benefit of making the PL look tough in the face of looming regulation safe in the knowledge they can upset a member that has zero sway on the success of their product.

The customers that the PL work for are the consumer fans of Liverpool United Arsenal City Chelsea and any other team who can get successful enough to sway the PLs profit and loss numbers when it comes to tv deal and sponsorship renegotiation time.

Anyone who believes the PL is some benevolent administration working for the benefit of its 20 members that just happens to be a bit incompetent is quite frankly naive.

You dont become the richest most successful sporting competition in the world through being incompetent. They know exactly what they’re doing which is what they’ve always done, favourably ensure the success of the teams that drive revenue on a rotational basis giving the illusion of fair competition and unpredictability without ever actually having any of these things outside of the favoured teams over a season long basis. Sure a Brentford or Bournemouth can beat Liverpool or United in a one off game, they might finish above them for one season but they will never ever be allowed to consistently displace them and deprive them of their revenues (and the PL’s associated revenues from fans watching them)

There’s people on this forum basically arguing that the PL doesn’t conform to capitalism and is somehow some fair moral arbiter. If I had to put my mortgage on whether it’s the former or the latter I know which one I’d bet on.
i’d rather the scab 6 teams left the league now , the combination of the point s deduction the blatant favouritism towards the top 6 , and our trophy drought has sucked most of the fun out of footy for me , if them going means the league will be more exciting competitive then so be it , a complete u turn from what i was saying a couple of years ag

I don’t think the PL agenda is that vindictive or simple as being anti Everton but people seem to continuously overlook what the PL is, it’s a cash generating machine that has a sole aim to make money. It’s a private company accountable only to the clubs that play in it and the majority of these at the bottom are transitory members with very little sway. Its entire revenue generation model is dependent on tv deals and the sponsorships that come with that and they are dependent on eyeballs and the consumer pound that follows that.

Hence we’ve seen football teams in the lower leagues of the pyramid go to the wall without any concern from the PL or its clubs whatsoever who could have saved any of these teams in the blink of an eye. We’ve seen plans for the 39th game, the reaction to the super league teams etc. The PL may as well be a big bank, except whilst it can be as equally immoral it doesn’t have to conform to any of the regulation as bank or other large corporation would have to.

It is in the PLs interests for the teams that bring in the most viewing figures to do well. They are historically the teams at the top Liverpool Arsenal United and increasingly City and Chelsea. That is why Google UPS and Nivea are partnering with these teams and not Crystal Palace and Fulham.

It is the Pl associated media’s interest to generate content that attract these eyeballs. Pro Liverpool content is great, anti Everton content is also pretty good because more people will read that than a pro Everton piece which might get a few readers in L4 but not much wider.

This goes to a wider scale as well. UEFA and their sponsors do not want to see Everton Fulham Palace In their flagships competitions, they want United Liverpool City etc.

You can even take it wider and look at the increasing number of last day finishes now for the title and relegation places compared to previous seasons. People remember the Michael Thomas goal and Blackburn at Anfield as exceptions but since Aguero in 2011 we’ve now had 3 more occasions when the title has been decided on the last day, that’s 4 in 12 years, a far higher rate statistically than previously. Similar is happening with relegation battles to and the CL places, we are not seeing title winners, top 4 places, and bottom 3s being decided in March anymore like we used to.

If it wasn’t for the excellence of Dyche we’d be in another relegation battle now probably lasting the entirety of the season which would have sparked new life into the bottom of the table that was looking done by Christmas at the current rate. All of the news reports about Everton and the point deduction will have driven many many kopite eyeballs to the PLs media channels, and it had the associated benefit of making the PL look tough in the face of looming regulation safe in the knowledge they can upset a member that has zero sway on the success of their product.

The customers that the PL work for are the consumer fans of Liverpool United Arsenal City Chelsea and any other team who can get successful enough to sway the PLs profit and loss numbers when it comes to tv deal and sponsorship renegotiation time.

Anyone who believes the PL is some benevolent administration working for the benefit of its 20 members that just happens to be a bit incompetent is quite frankly naive.

You dont become the richest most successful sporting competition in the world through being incompetent. They know exactly what they’re doing which is what they’ve always done, favourably ensure the success of the teams that drive revenue on a rotational basis giving the illusion of fair competition and unpredictability without ever actually having any of these things outside of the favoured teams over a season long basis. Sure a Brentford or Bournemouth can beat Liverpool or United in a one off game, they might finish above them for one season but they will never ever be allowed to consistently displace them and deprive them of their revenues (and the PL’s associated revenues from fans watching them)

There’s people on this forum basically arguing that the PL doesn’t conform to capitalism and is somehow some fair moral arbiter. If I had to put my mortgage on whether it’s the former or the latter I know which one I’d bet on.

Cracking post, this. Nail on head.

Best news ever. Let's see Richard Masters live off universal bennies for a while, see how he feels being the shat-on worm in the beaker.

Further info now added to the article. Reads like nothing more than an expansion and re-brand of the Champions League.... (n)

This post should be printed in the national press and voiced on national TV, we know it won’t be though!

This post should be printed in the national press and voiced on national TV, we know it won’t be though!
Of course not! Souness and chums would just cry sour grapes!

These financial rules are just the means to keep other teams down and allow those with the largest revenue (ie those already entrenched at the top of the pile) free to spend whopping sums on players while the likes of Everton get hammered for spending money, albeit in an incompetent fashion.

64 mens, 32 womens
I'm not sure if the women's game is currently big enough to support that many top flight teams. Without wishing to sound misogynist, the standard is still a long way off the men's top flight and there is nowhere near the depth of decent players. Having lots of teams with diluted talent may fuel the haters.

As the father of a daughter who enjoys playing footy and went to her first toffees game this week, I want the women's teams to be a strong advert for the sport, lets not kid ourselves, it isnt there yet.

Back on topic, cheese on super toast, koff if you wanna koff, STFU if you dont

Already too many differing interpretations of this latest ESL story making it difficult for me to get my head around what exactly is going on.
But one theory being trotted out is that the PL will be a he'll of a lot poorer if the fabled scummy six leave. In that event wouldn't they want a club the size of Everton to still be in business to be at the start of whatever competition takes its place.
If so they should be thinking about rescinding that ten point deduction.

Further info now added to the article. Reads like nothing more than an expansion and re-brand of the Champions League.... (n)

It's something for Chelsea and City to wave around if threatened with sanctions

Wasn't this a ECJ ruling? If so it doesn't have any jurisdiction to us since Brexit does it? Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not sure

Wasn't this a ECJ ruling? If so it doesn't have any jurisdiction to us since Brexit does it? Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not sure
Well yes and no
The UK doesn't have to follow ECJ rulings now, neither does the PL, but UEFA has to follow ECJ rulings and the PL has to follow UEFA

Besides that the anti competition laws in question :Articles 101 (restriction of competition) and 102 (abuse of dominant position) of the TFEU are echoed by the UK Competition Act 1988 and so it is likely that UK Courts would reach the same ruling and use the ECJ as an influential guide without being bound by it.