6 + 2 Point Deductions

The club knew they were guilty as the rules are quite clear, and they admitted it as much. To do otherwise would have been pointless and detrimental.

The issue was the level of culpability and mitigation: we argued that we worked with them all along, and there were genuine mitigating factors for the overspend.

This boils down to whether they've a) had an objective process, b) rightly took into consideration mitigating factors, and c) applied a correct punishment.

From what I know, the club were in no way expecting such a severe punishment, and are confident they'll be able to appeal the sentence.

However, playing the Devil's advocate, the PL will argue that a financial punishment does not act as a suitable deterrent for clubs overspending.

If a club like City can overspend by £25m, perhaps seriously increasing their chance of success, and only get fined a few more millions than they may do that.

Our point will be that the PL themselves did not agree to the point that it gave us a sporting advantage, and an overspend does not guarantee an improvement.

I'd be content with five points docked and a fine.
Some good and valid points Phil, but for me, we don't/shouldn't accept any point deduction.

We can but it has to go in the submitted PL financial report review; in short - if they fine us, we tip back over the threshold and get docked another six points, plus they add compound interest to the docked points.
Don't think this is accurate, I would say we would have a defined period to pay the fine?

From experience in the financial sector, possible reduction with early payment but I not sure how it would be accounted for on our accounts as it would make no sense at all to be penalised for p and s then be put in that position by any punitive measures?

Some good and valid points Phil, but for me, we don't/shouldn't accept any point deduction.
We definitely shouldn't accept any, and the club believed the sanctions would be financial or in terms of limitation on what we could do (transfers etc.).

However, what we have to consider now is whether the PL (sorry, err, the Independent Panel) have the appetite to make such a reverse, or will they double down.

That's where compromise may come in to play: we begrudgingly accept some points, but the severity is reduced. The PL can't be oblivious to the backlash.

Lots and lots in the media and press have said they felt the punishment is harsh, so if they read the room, it would (to some extent) be in their interest to do so.

Don't think this is accurate, I would say we would have a defined period to pay the fine?

From experience in the financial sector, possible reduction with early payment but I not sure how it would be accounted for on our accounts as it would make no sense at all to be penalised for p and s then be put in that position by any punitive measures?

madness all this we just want our points back!

We definitely shouldn't accept any, and the club believed the sanctions would be financial or in terms of limitation on what we could do (transfers etc.).

However, what we have to consider now is whether the PL (sorry, err, the Independent Panel) have the appetite to make such a reverse, or will they double down.

That's where compromise may come in to play: we begrudgingly accept some points, but the severity is reduced. The PL can't be oblivious to the backlash.

Lots and lots in the media and press have said they felt the punishment is harsh, so if they read the room, it would (to some extent) be in their interest to do so.

you think wiped of reduced?

Can't fault your logic my good man, certainly narrative was set, uproar commenced from many areas, thus a reduction would be seen as a compromise and set the tone for future punishments for the likes of City, Chelsea etc , we are, imo the test case.

it’s gotta be amended i mean this panel who ever it maybe knows they’re to much uproar
Talking objectively, the level of uproar shouldn't really matter in this kind of situation, but because there is no PL agreed tariff it opens up the debate.

Beforehand, when we agreed our guilt, we were only aware of the possible sanctions, and by that I mean that we could receive a fine or points reduction etc.

We could look at precedents set for other punishments, but then again the club were to some extent aware that the panel had pretty much free rein.

So, they could just say the uproar is irrelevant: they've admitted guilt, we think it's this serious, and this is the fine. But that doesn't read the room.

It doesn't help them when they are setting a moral precedent, if not a legal one, because City, Chelsea and whoever else should be treated the same.

Yet by saying they haven't got a set tariff and whatnot, they could then open themselves up to not being impartial, and whether ulterior motives played a part.

With all questions raised about the process and what's at stake, I would be very surprised if it isn't reduced. But, you never know with this shower!