6 + 2 Point Deductions

Even Man City’s charges are (on the whole) a load of codswallop.
Notwithstanding any HMRC irregularities, them being the new rich kids on the block is absolutely no different from when Man U could drop £30m on Ferdinand or Chelsea could put £25m on Drogba (or what’re the fee was back then)
‘*Financial doping’ has always been a feature of top flight football, these rules don’t prevent it so much as lock out anyone not in the club when they were set up.
Football has always found an equilibrium. City or any club will only field a certain number of players over a season, and that for me is where the limits should be applied, both to first team and youth set ups.
*lets not kid ourselves the rules are about profit and sustainability. The fact our points deduction cost us £12m nailed that coffin shut.
I’m kind of with you on this. The richest clubs can only field 11 men… they have always existed.
It just stinks of the old money - arsenal, Liverpool and man united - not being the the ones spending the most money. And worried about becoming a second tier team.
From where we are now there is at least three levels of teams above us in terms of spending and it’s hard to feel sympathy for the all the red teams moaning about how much they can spend when all we have is a 3pence, tissue and sticky old humbug in our pockets.
Teams in the championship and lower it’s the world away.

City charges are far from codswallop. They financially doped on a scale that has given them the opportunity to field two teams of superstars in any given match. And now have an advantage to other teams that is unachievable to match without similar levels of financial doping.

When the Premier League adopted the PSR rules in 2013/14 season. Teams instead of buying players and the owners carrying the debts like Abramovic and Jack Walker before him, they now had to use income to support transfers.

City saw this and devised third parties with the guise of being sponsorship deals to make payments to the club with their operational expenditure and transfer budgets in mind, to make the club look like it was making profits.

So in the years before psr being introduced 2011, 2012, and 2013 City made huge losses of £197m, 97m, £52m respectively and suddenly when psr came in effect turnover rose 25% and they only made a small loss of £20m.

The following seasons further significant revenue gains and City became profitable.

Revenues in Millions £
2012 - 231.0
2013 - £271.0
2014 - 346.5
2015 - 351.7
2016 - 391.7
2017 - 473.3
2018 - 500.46
2019 - 535.1

They also while increasing revenue City hid some costs such as payments to Mancini and Pellegrini and players like Tevez outside of the clubs accounts. Again to reflect healthy financial statements.

What Man City have done is kind of what Moshiri and Usmanov wanted to do at Everton with USM. This shows what happens when a club is using third party funding to mask profitability or at least lower levels of losses and imagine if City owners pulled the plug during those early years then City would have certainly been in financial ruins.

The additional charges for not co-operating, I imagine won't get much punishment, but shows to most folks that they want to shove all the dirty dealing they've done under the rug and hope the Premier league simply gives up.

@Bedfordblue I do disagree that I missed your point as you suggested all that Man City did was like clubs like United and Chelsea and spend large sums of money on transfers.

That is not why City have been charged with. I am an accountant by trade. They have been charged with fraud and their attempts to conceal this fraud from multiple seasons.

Funnelling owner funds and pretending it came from sponsorships deals to inflate revenue and unfairly show a healthy business as show in leaked emails by DER SPIEGEL in 2018. Is money laundering 101. And it is cheating and why both UEFA and the Premier League believe they deserve heavy punishment.

@Bedfordblue I do disagree that I missed your point as you suggested all that Man City did was like clubs like United and Chelsea and spend large sums of money on transfers.

That is not why City have been charged with. I am an accountant by trade. They have been charged with fraud and their attempts to conceal this fraud from multiple seasons.
Even Man City’s charges are (on the whole) a load of codswallop.
Notwithstanding any HMRC irregularities, them being the new rich kids on the block is absolutely no different from when Man U could drop £30m on Ferdinand or Chelsea could put £25m on Drogba (or what’re the fee was back then)
‘*Financial doping’ has always been a feature of top flight football, these rules don’t prevent it so much as lock out anyone not in the club when they were set up.
Football has always found an equilibrium. City or any club will only field a certain number of players over a season, and that for me is where the limits should be applied, both to first team and youth set ups.
*lets not kid ourselves the rules are about profit and sustainability. The fact our points deduction cost us £12m nailed that coffin shut.
My point is, there has always been, and continues to be, dominant teams who for any given period are wealthier than the rest.
Mersey millionaires, to Manc billionaires, tomato / tomato.
If they have done anything illegal, there will be more important bodies going after them than Richard ‘the melt’ Masters and his EPL cronies.

They’re rich and outspending the competition, what’s new?

If that is the case why are the so many scandals in the UK. I'm sure by your logic the Post Office and Fujitsu will have high ranking officials that will face jail time.

UK Government has always turned a blind eye to conglomerates when they benefit the UK tax system. I don't think the UK government would ever touch Man City due to the trade agreements with Abu Dhabi being at risk.
My point is, there has always been, and continues to be, dominant teams who for any given period are wealthier than the rest.
If they have done anything illegal, there will be more important bodies going after them than Richard ‘the melt’ Masters and his EPL cronies.

If that is the case why are the so many scandals in the UK. I'm sure by your logic the Post Office and Fujitsu will have high ranking officials that will face jail time.

UK Government has always turned a blind eye to conglomerates when they benefit the UK tax system. I don't think the UK government would ever touch Man City due to the trade agreements with Abu Dhabi being at risk.
As I said originally, the charges against Man City are codswallop.

With the whole City thing. Surely there should be a rule in place to prevent clubs from creating a situation where it just drags on and they frustrate the process. In the same way missing a drugs test gets the same treatment as getting caught taking them.
They generate too much money for the league along with the other scabs. Rules only apply for the rest of the clubs.

🙄 You don't understand politics or what City have done and that's okay ;)

Its not a new money thing as look at Newcastle for example FFP have hampered them and their unlimited funds

Man City committed fraud to spend the owners money like first intended in 2008
Yes they really have been hamstrung haven’t they?
IMG_8010.jpeg

They’re actually in the position now where they don’t have to spend all that much. Couple of top players a season and hoover up all the best young talent via their academy.

They’re actually in the position now where they don’t have to spend all that much. Couple of top players a season and hoover up all the best young talent via their academy.
Which is where limits should be applied, harvesting youth players should be restricted imho.
At present your just hoping sensible agents / parents might consider long term prospects over short term finance, while youngsters who might progress elsewhere are suffocated by sheer numbers in their system.

All these rules do is protect the ‘big 6’

They should be done away with entirely and clubs should be allowed to spend whatever they want if the owner can pass a ‘fit and proper’ test otherwise what’s the point of that examination of their credentials in the first place.

What these rules actually did this season was take our club and put us close to relegation which would’ve more than likely financially wrecked us for years to come, all because we built a beautiful new stadium whilst Russia invaded Ukraine.

How is that fair play?

Yes they have been, that is why they are going to sell a player or two this summer. In the past 5 years they are 5th for net spend even though they have been the richest club in football for 3 years. The affects of FFP which Man City bypassed when PSR was introduced.

Screenshot 2024-05-27 130549.png

Yes they really have been hamstrung haven’t they?
View attachment 258392