6 + 2 Point Deductions

The rules are changing in August though so I wonder if this will have a effect.

Anyone else sick of being the clubs that sells of has to sell their best players because we either;

A) can’t compete
B) have no money
C) player wants to play for a bigger club

It’s happened so many times. Why can’t be keep players and have a bloody go. So frustrating. Stones, Barkley, Lukaku, Pienaar, Rooney, Richarlison… next will be Onana, Braithwaite and maybe even Pickford.

It’s just incredible isn’t it really.
Most clubs are like this to be fair

Sure you’re right and that’s kind of my point anyway, the Cunha deal might appear as a loan on Transfermarkt or Sky graphics but it was in reality them spending a huge amount on a player in January to try to get out of relegation.

My only point really is that Wolves selling players in the summer seems like it was simply a strategic choice and a big gamble on staying up rather than anything laudable- they obviously thought sod it, we’ll go over FFP now and sort it in the summer. Worked out fine for them so fair enough, but had they still gone down wouldn’t have quite so clever.

Cunha triggered a £45mill permanent buy clause after he played 3 games in January.

He could be right and he could have expertise, but he will be doing worse case scenario to get listens/clicks etc that's how these commercial stations operate
He could absolutely be right, but no one is in a position to know unless they have seen our management accounts and forecasted June 2024 figures.

Edit - meant FY24 figures. Although June 23 hasn't been released publicly either yet tbf.

We sell players we will have to buy players to replace them, we may pass but we wouldn’t have a team to field. Or maybe we could.
View attachment 242450
Well I remember Benitez spending £1.7m in a transfer window. Given we're already committed to buy Beto and Chermiti in the summer I don't think we'll be buying anyone else. In fact we'll probably have to sell Onana to pay for those 2.

TalkSPORT now. Worth a listen. Fella who seems to know what he’s talking about saying we are likely to get a third breach next season. This is because our numbers just don’t add up. Also said our defence at the commission was simply bizarre and if anything made it worse.

IF that's the case...when and where does it stop? Continuous point deduction?

As someone else pointed out, the minute every season 2 or 3 teams are hit with point deductions, it renders the league uncompetitive.

He said our defence from the club was “well we needed to buy a midfield”. Basically said this term alone from our owner was a complete disaster. And the guy we have brought in is the best in the business.. but he ain’t a miracle worker. Which is what we need.. a miracle.
But he also isn’t taking a case when there is no case to make.

Of course.

Even if the interest was allowed as a PSR deduction we would still have failed PSR and faced a points deduction.

Then we get to the reason the interest wasn't allowed. When you take out a loan a charge document is issued stating what the loan was for and what it is secured against. The charge document is then published on the companies house website and becomes publicly accessible.

In the terms of the loan, the club categorically states that the loan will not be used to fund the Stadium. The Premier League didn't change their position halfway through. All that happened was that they found out that Moshiri had misled them. I mean how stupid can you be to lie about something that you know is going into the public domain?

How stupid can you be to tell the commission that you broke PSR because you needed to replace a non existent midfield as Moshiri did.

From the report.

The cause of
Everton’s PSR difficulties was the fact that it overspent (largely on its
purchase of new players and its inability to sell other players), and because it
finished lower in the league than it had projected in FY 2022 (16th against the
projected 6th – causing a loss of expected income of c.£21 million). Everton’s
understandable desire to improve its on-pitch performance (to replace the
non-existent mid field, as Mr Moshiri put it in evidence) led it to take chances
with its PSR position: those chances resulted in it exceeding the £105 million
threshold by £19.5 million.
138. The position that Everton finds itself in is of its own making – it is Everton’s
responsibility to ensure that it complies with the PSR regime. The excess
over the threshold is significant. The consequence is that Everton’s
culpability is great. We take into account the fact that Everton’s PSR trend
over the relevant four years is positive, but cannot ignore the fact that the
failure to comply with the PSR regime was the result of Everton irresponsibly
taking a chance that things would turn out positively. Further, Everton was
less than frank in its dealings with the Premier League over the stadium
interest issue. The reality is that Everton failed to manage its finances so as
to operate within the generous threshold of £105 million. Its mismanagement
led to that threshold being exceeded by £19.5 million.

How can anyone read that and think it was the Independent commission being unreasonable and not Moshiri being an idiot is beyond me. He completely undermined our defence that there shouldn't be a sporting sanction and he got caught out by being less than frank about what the loans were for.

The only chance we have is if we leave this to the barristers and keep Moshiri as far away from this as we can.
Can you help me understand mate where it said ahead of time what the range of punishment would be for PSR beach and how we could have known for sure that it would be a significant points deductions for a monetary/accounting breach rather than a fine?

Also while you are at it, is the 10 point deduction egregious or reasonable?

Considering there are almost still 6 months left in the current accounting period, I'm not sure how anyone could know this.
It's common sense really, if we thought we'd be ok and we've been sailing close to the wind, we'd think that again, hence we'll probably have to sell £20 million worth of players. You'd hope we could get some money for Godfrey and Keane but I'm not sure anyone will pay their wages so the severance pay we have to give them might cancel any transfer fees we get. It's more likely we'll have to sell Pickford, Onana or Branthwaite as they're the only players anyone would want.