3-5-2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Player Valuation: £10m
So, after all the media love in with Roz from Monster's Inc. (seriously, they look just the same!), it got me thinking. Could 3-5-2 work at Everton? Not as the norm, but possibly an option?

Lukaku Mirallas
Barkley
Baines Barry McCarthy Coleman
Distin Jagielka Stones
Howard​

On top of this, the 2nd XI would be:

Kone Naismith
Pienaar
Garbutt Besic Gibson Oviedo
Barry Alcaraz Duffy
Robles
Personally, I don't see Alcaraz or Duffy working in a 3 back, and I don't see how McGeady would work in this either. However, as an option, especially for europe or cup games, could it work? I think the top XI would give most teams a match, and would go toe to toe with Utd's version (Better CMs, More pace up top, better CBs, more suited to a passing style of football, much better wingbacks. They do have a more creative CAM, and better finishers though.)

So, could it work?

Think we're more likely to play 4-3-3 when he decides to switch it up, hes tried it for a bit in a few of the games this preseason. Think it'll work well with the legs of besic, macca and ross in a three with Rom Kev and either mcgeady or atsu with mad pace up front

Alcaraz flourished in 3 at the back at Wigan. When we have played 3 at the back with Martinez, it's been a 3-4-3 formation so I would be surprised to see something like:

Howard
Stones Jagielka Distin
Coleman McCarthy Barry Baines
Mirallas Lukaku Barkley

Look lads, I know we have 3 boss CBs and you wanna shoehorn them into the team but 3 at the back is JOKES.

We actually play 3 at the back now, but we play a CM as the 3rd wheel, Gaz Baz drops back and takes the ball off Distin and Jags, we have 2 of the best fullbacks in world football who get up and down all day long.

Our defensive record last season was the 3rd best in the league I think, we dont need another freaking CB.

We play 3 at the back for 95% of the game anyway!

Most of the time it's like...

Jagielka Barry Distin

Part of me thinks the 3-5-2 thing is just to keep other teams guessing about our approach.

Martinez is all about creativity and flexibility.

To me, it feels like a boxer dropping a right shoulder and throwing a left hook, rather than an entirely new approach.

(I'm not a boxer so it techically that is really bad I'm just illustrating a point).

Yeah it's definitely an option. I really like how flexible the side looks.
As far as personnel goes for the 5/3/2 formation I'd go....

Howard
Jagielka Stones Distin
Coleman McCarthy Besic Baines
Barkley
Mirallas Lukaku

Could also keep the front three the same but play a diamond in midfield dropping a CB for Barry playing him DM and switching back to the flat back 4. Options options options

For me it will be Utd ' s downfall this season they don't have the quality at the back to play 3 I think they will be done by the teams with pace on the wings.I think if we get atsu and have barkley and mirallas running at them we could do them again this season.

We need to play a 4-3-3 imo liverpool got 2nd with having 2 quality forwards if we played that system I would rather another quality striker than a winger though imagine mirallas, lukaku and a top pacy striker on the other side Remy would be perfect

Horses for courses is how I see Roberto setting up, he now has options to play 3 or 4 at the back and set up the midfield and attack exactly in a way appropriate to the opposition. Most of the time default formation wil be 4-2-3-1 but he will tinker with this to combat strengths and expose weaknesses of other teams.

Think we're more likely to play 4-3-3 when he decides to switch it up, hes tried it for a bit in a few of the games this preseason. Think it'll work well with the legs of besic, macca and ross in a three with Rom Kev and either mcgeady or atsu with mad pace up front
trouble is that completely wastes Coleman and Baines
The midfield has got to remain tight to allow the width outside it, a back three would do that as it would push Coleman and Baines further up the pitch with one of Besic/McCarthy staying back covering the counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.