20 years ago today..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Royle saved us from relegation and win us a trophy. Didn’t really do much after that though.

Whatever the reasons it didn’t work out.

Moysie worked miracles for a long time and bought some super players for next to nothing.
He also got us to 4th and a slot in the CL, until we were cheated out of progressing further. I'd say that trumps the FA Cup.

Shame we never had the money back then

A few times we had a good team and Europa, extra cash could have let us build

Instead we'd not spend and have a squad that couldnt fight in Europa or the league and suffer in both

Still a hell of a lot better than this

He also got us to 4th and a slot in the CL, until we were cheated out of progressing further. I'd say that trumps the FA Cup.
Both achievements were practically miraculous, to be fair. Unfortunately Joe didn’t have the longevity. Moyes did an amazing job under very difficult circumstances for years and years. Just the stress alone must have been tough to take.

I've a lot of respect and fondness for the Moyes era and a lot of the players of that time. But its awfully sad that we're looking back with misty eyes. Especially so given much of the debate was around whether he'd taken us as far as he could.

We were supposed to kick off the shackles and move onwards and upwards. Investment, the one key thing argued to hold Moyes back by many, arrived and look at how badly we've messed it up.

Even if Moyes had stayed and benefitted from Moshiri's Investment, I'm not sure things would be rosey. Would Moshiri have interfered with the Moyes managerial style or signings? How would Moyes have fared after a run of bad results?

We'll never know.

Nah…..

1647283227145.jpeg

I was at a family member funeral that day and remember it well.

Driving home from SFX church listening to it on the radio.

Then, 4 days later an electric Goodison v Fulham and Unsie smashing one in after about 5 minutes.

Moyes brought us back to life, oh I wish there was even an ounce of that spirit among this collection of half arsed wage thieves.

30 seconds if I recall correctly.

Fostered and cemented the belief that Everton were no longer a top tier club, assembled a great squad (twice probably) but under achieved with them, probably because they believed the underdog tag he fomented.
The same underdog belief that sucked the media and fans into thinking he was some sort of miracle worker when he was nothing of the sort as his subsequent appointments have demonstrated.
All acted like an absolute ?? when he left and demonstrated the sort of disrespectful behaviour he had made such a fuss about when players did to the club.

Grateful for what he did but wouldn’t have him back and he stayed too long in the end.

Fostered and cemented the belief that Everton were no longer a top tier club, assembled a great squad (twice probably) but under achieved with them, probably because they believed the underdog tag he fomented.
Nowt to do with the Sky 4 being absolutely stacked, not to mention the likes of Martin O'Neill's Aston Villa, which spent massively only to finish below us.

Royle saved us from relegation and win us a trophy. Didn’t really do much after that though.

Whatever the reasons it didn’t work out.

Moysie worked miracles for a long time and bought some super players for next to nothing.
Worked wonders - won sod all - hoof ball - knife to a gunfight- Gordon Lee RIP had the same record virtually - his football was far better .,....

Status
Not open for further replies.