1950s relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was born in 1945 and my grandad, who was a Sheffield Wed supporter until he moved to Liverpool after the 1st World War, started
taking me to Goodison when I was about six. I found out only a short time ago that he lived in Kirkdale Rd in the 1920's.

I don't remember being aware of being in the 2nd division, or even being promoted, but I do remember him telling me all about the match at Oldham when we got promotion. He talked about it all the time, but I didn't understand the importance of it at the time.

My early memories are of massive crowds and lots of them waving rattles.

The 1954 characterise team that gained promotion in 1954 -

1695377153544.png

A Cork native by the name of Don Donovan played for us in that era.

He was with us from from 1949 to 1958, making one hundred and seventy nine appearances and scoring two goals.

There was the Dublin lads Peter Farrell, Tommy Eglinton and Tommy Clinton as well. I think it was Peter Farrell who told the story, that you'd see a lot of priests in the crowd at Goodison that time!

We had another Dublin native called Mick Meagan who signed for us in 1952. Mick of course more than played his part in our 1963 league title win.

There was another Dub by the name of Jimmy O'Neill, who was a goalkeeper for us as well. He was there from 1949 to 1960. He played a few games for the now defunct Cork Celtic in the late 60's as well.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.