blue bill and rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it hard to believe, if Rooney was being made to feel so bad about leaving that he or Stretford could keep there mouths shut and allow Rooneys public image to be tarnished at Everton.
Good point but I don't think they were too concerned. He was chasing wealth and fame. I think he was a wasted talent, they say look at the trophies he won, the goal scoring records. So if they were what he always wanted why is he indulging in petty point scoring imho he wanted adulation, unfortunately United have forgotten him. He scorned Everton and will be sacked by Derby soon.

I guess most of us believe we could have done a better job than Kenwright. The truth behind all this remains that when PJ was in control he bloody near broke us and fundamentally BK did not have the necessary funds to rectify the mess. He never had enough, he never will.

He was never the businessman that could build the club, his money was all about promoting stage shows and generating fans that came back again and again to see a stage performance, something he thought he could repeat at Everton. To some extent he was right, we keep going back to see the same show. All the theatres he used were in disrepair and there is never any money left to invest in infrastructure - sound familiar?

If I owned Everton I would never want to sell it either.

Oft quoted, if you are a billionaire and want to become a millionaire, invest in football. BK was barely a millionaire in today's football terms.

Why is he still there? There will have been some sweetheart clause in his deal with Moshiri that he gets to remain chairman for life. How it is not a purely titular role is beyond me and is something that Moshiri will have to step up to.

As to the OP, Rooney was a prestigious talent, and at the time 27 million was an enormous sum for a teenager. Without him going we could not have paid our due debts, we did buy new players but on the strength of loans based on our ability to pay our debts. Anyway, it is water under the bridge now, my personal belief is that if he had stayed at Everton he was another Kenny or Barkley in the making (off field).

King's Dock was a tragedy it did not happen, Kirkby was a relief it didn't. With hindsight, we are going to get something infinitely better than either of them. Bill Kenwright, meh - but I am not nasty enough to wish him ill or hold a grudge. I guess that makes me a happy clapper.

I’m a bit sceptical about the claim that Rooney’s sale was necessary to prevent liquidation. The vast majority of the Rooney money was reinvested in new players. It wasn’t like the Arteta money that had to be immediately handed over to the banks.
It’s exactly like that, we had a negative net spend that summer even excluding Rooney and it’s a matter of record that we had to pay £10.4m back in September.

Source for £10.4m loan Kenwright himself.

source for negative net spend

I wonder how he felt the 2nd time
That was a stranger one for me.
The first one I accepted because we couldn't compete in those days, although I was hoping he'd stay till he was 20 ish and just do well for a year or two, but that second one everything was messed up. In a way it's good he left or else he might have been appointed player-manager with us too!

I guess most of us believe we could have done a better job than Kenwright. The truth behind all this remains that when PJ was in control he bloody near broke us and fundamentally BK did not have the necessary funds to rectify the mess. He never had enough, he never will.

He was never the businessman that could build the club, his money was all about promoting stage shows and generating fans that came back again and again to see a stage performance, something he thought he could repeat at Everton. To some extent he was right, we keep going back to see the same show. All the theatres he used were in disrepair and there is never any money left to invest in infrastructure - sound familiar?

If I owned Everton I would never want to sell it either.

Oft quoted, if you are a billionaire and want to become a millionaire, invest in football. BK was barely a millionaire in today's football terms.

Why is he still there? There will have been some sweetheart clause in his deal with Moshiri that he gets to remain chairman for life. How it is not a purely titular role is beyond me and is something that Moshiri will have to step up to.

As to the OP, Rooney was a prestigious talent, and at the time 27 million was an enormous sum for a teenager. Without him going we could not have paid our due debts, we did buy new players but on the strength of loans based on our ability to pay our debts. Anyway, it is water under the bridge now, my personal belief is that if he had stayed at Everton he was another Kenny or Barkley in the making (off field).

King's Dock was a tragedy it did not happen, Kirkby was a relief it didn't. With hindsight, we are going to get something infinitely better than either of them. Bill Kenwright, meh - but I am not nasty enough to wish him ill or hold a grudge. I guess that makes me a happy clapper.

I have recently seen a brilliant charity which has a board of trustees that includes some founders who are still there - even though they're in their 80s and have little to offer. They provide a link to the founding principles and a reminder of why they help the people and what their original purpose is. Sometimes they get in the way, sometimes they keep the spirit alive, but the CEO knows how to use them when required and knows how to ignore if necessary. Most of the time they give that feeling of tradition and weight to the charity - that it's got a great history and tradition.

I'm ok if BK is outvoted on certain things but also keeps Everton traditions alive. If you can manage that type of person and can tell the difference between tradition and innovation, and somehow keep both - it's a really useful person to have

It’s exactly like that, we had a negative net spend that summer even excluding Rooney and it’s a matter of record that we had to pay £10.4m back in September.

Source for £10.4m loan Kenwright himself.

source for negative net spend

But your second source has us making our biggest ever record signing in James Beattie for over 8 million just a few months later in January, and then the following summer we were purchasing Kroldrup and Davies etc.

We had a near constant cash-flow problem and money to pay back from the never ending pay-day loan advancements under Bill Kenwright, but I don’t believe we were ‘about to go under’, or that ‘Rooney saved the club’. I don’t believe Everton FC would have been liquidated had Rooney not been sold.

I seem to recall Rooney throwing a strop at Moyes during training because Moyes didn't want to sell him. It's been a while but I do think that actually happened. Rooney being immediately happy at Utd and our team rallying together for a charge for 4th seems to contradict the 'devastation' he felt at being sold. But then, why bring it up now?

I seem to recall Rooney throwing a strop at Moyes during training because Moyes didn't want to sell him. It's been a while but I do think that actually happened. Rooney being immediately happy at Utd and our team rallying together for a charge for 4th seems to contradict the 'devastation' he felt at being sold. But then, why bring it up now?
Because United fans are not really that interested in him compared to his level of achievements there. He is not far from being sacked at Derby, it is a disastrous reign of management. What does he have left?

I have recently seen a brilliant charity which has a board of trustees that includes some founders who are still there - even though they're in their 80s and have little to offer. They provide a link to the founding principles and a reminder of why they help the people and what their original purpose is. Sometimes they get in the way, sometimes they keep the spirit alive, but the CEO knows how to use them when required and knows how to ignore if necessary. Most of the time they give that feeling of tradition and weight to the charity - that it's got a great history and tradition.

I'm ok if BK is outvoted on certain things but also keeps Everton traditions alive. If you can manage that type of person and can tell the difference between tradition and innovation, and somehow keep both - it's a really useful person to have
The only problem with your analogy is that you said it was "Brilliant"..... we have been far from brilliant during Kenwright's tenure. In his time on the board, we've gone from top table to make-weights and have endured the longest period of failure in our entire history since he took over.

Meanwhile, we've been the best retirement fund he could've dreamt of. Making him multiples of the wealth he had before his take-over.

Because United fans are not really that interested in him compared to his level of achievements there. He is not far from being sacked at Derby, it is a disastrous reign of management. What does he have left?

Really? Because I'm looking at Rooney and thinking he can't do anything but enhance his reputation.

Can't spend money, can't sign free transfers, barely any pro's and is doing a good job considering the circumstances. The 9 point penalty will only give him a free hit, and if he keeps them up, with that penalty, then he's going to get a decent job.

The only problem with your analogy is that you said it was "Brilliant"..... we have been far from brilliant during Kenwright's tenure. In his time on the board, we've gone from top table to make-weights and have endured the longest period of failure in our entire history since he took over.

Meanwhile, we've been the best retirement fund he could've dreamt of. Making him multiples of the wealth he had before his take-over.

That's true -
even though we love the club and there are some brilliant things about it, we can't say it has been run brilliantly for .... many years

Status
Not open for further replies.