2020/21 Thierry Small

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes when boys as young as Small and Onyaango are given a game they can look exactly like what they are.... boys.

I thought that both lads last night looked physically developed enough to play that level of football.
Onyaango is tall gangly but doesn't at all seem lightweight whereas Small is compact and already strong and muscular.

A great night for both lads.

They looked ready.

I'm not saying lash them in every single game or anything but a couple more appearances as a sub here and there wouldn't be asking too much of them.

Hopefully we get in a position in some games where we can do that.

Sometimes when boys as young as Small and Onyaango are given a game they can look exactly like what they are.... boys.

I thought that both lads last night looked physically developed enough to play that level of football.
Onyaango is tall gangly but doesn't at all seem lightweight whereas Small is compact and already strong and muscular.

A great night for both lads.

Yes all of that is true. For all the criticism he gets I do think there's a lot of credit due to Unsworth and other coaches here too. Positionally and tacticallly they looked they knew exactly where they needed to be on the pitch. When Small had a little chase to the right, as soon as the ball was lost he ran straight back into position. Likewise Onyango filled straight back into position.

After last seasons cup debacle against Liverpool, there was a lot of the baby getting chucked out with the bathwater stuff regarding young players. That their players were able to step in and ours weren't. Since then we've seen Gordon, Brainthwaite get games in the 1st team and now the two last night.

On the two last night, they looked able to tactically get into position, which is clearly what Ancelotti wants. We are not pressing massively high up but you do need to understand what to do for the team without the ball. Unsworth puts a lot of truck in that. It's not glamorous, but for a team like ourselves it's really important. I think most of the lads who've mae their debuts under Unsworths watch have actually had that. You could see good defensive coaching.

The other point, as you note is the size of both. You'd expect each to grow maybe 2-3 inches (the higher end for Small the lower end for Onyango). Onynago is already 6 ft 3 and looks imposing. It's what I noticed from the derby, it was rare glimpses, but he would burst away and past Liverpool's midfield players who were 2 or 3 years older than him. Physically they were not able to compete with him, even though technicaly they were more rounded players.

Small is one who many have commented on, and his physicality has always been a wow factor. I'd say he's about 5 ft 10/11 currently and looks like he will end up probably 6 ft- 6 ft 1 to me and naturally more powerfully built than Onyango and most players. You can see he will be powerful, and quick, which glimpses have shown for the 23's.

It will help the entire club to see him and Onynago come on and do ok. They need to keep improving and growing. It's a shame Lewis Dobbin has been injured, as he was also one mentioned alongside the 2 lads who got on yesterday. Hopefully it spurs him on a bit. With those 2 though, and Gordon, Nkounkou, Brainthwaite there is a fair bit of talent kicking about. Not bad for an cademy that never produces anyone!

Yes all of that is true. For all the criticism he gets I do think there's a lot of credit due to Unsworth and other coaches here too. Positionally and tacticallly they looked they knew exactly where they needed to be on the pitch. When Small had a little chase to the right, as soon as the ball was lost he ran straight back into position. Likewise Onyango filled straight back into position.

After last seasons cup debacle against Liverpool, there was a lot of the baby getting chucked out with the bathwater stuff regarding young players. That their players were able to step in and ours weren't. Since then we've seen Gordon, Brainthwaite get games in the 1st team and now the two last night.

On the two last night, they looked able to tactically get into position, which is clearly what Ancelotti wants. We are not pressing massively high up but you do need to understand what to do for the team without the ball. Unsworth puts a lot of truck in that. It's not glamorous, but for a team like ourselves it's really important. I think most of the lads who've mae their debuts under Unsworths watch have actually had that. You could see good defensive coaching.

The other point, as you note is the size of both. You'd expect each to grow maybe 2-3 inches (the higher end for Small the lower end for Onyango). Onynago is already 6 ft 3 and looks imposing. It's what I noticed from the derby, it was rare glimpses, but he would burst away and past Liverpool's midfield players who were 2 or 3 years older than him. Physically they were not able to compete with him, even though technicaly they were more rounded players.

Small is one who many have commented on, and his physicality has always been a wow factor. I'd say he's about 5 ft 10/11 currently and looks like he will end up probably 6 ft- 6 ft 1 to me and naturally more powerfully built than Onyango and most players. You can see he will be powerful, and quick, which glimpses have shown for the 23's.

It will help the entire club to see him and Onynago come on and do ok. They need to keep improving and growing. It's a shame Lewis Dobbin has been injured, as he was also one mentioned alongside the 2 lads who got on yesterday. Hopefully it spurs him on a bit. With those 2 though, and Gordon, Nkounkou, Brainthwaite there is a fair bit of talent kicking about. Not bad for an cademy that never produces anyone!
Not exactly academy products

I was made up for the two lads last night of course but it was purely cosmetic, yes and to give the lads a boost, maybe convince Small to sign the contract he’s been stalling on for a couple of months, they came on at the right time 3-0 up with minutes remaining and you could make what you want of how they played, as long as they enjoyed it along with their family and friends and us supporters.

By the way Nkouknou, Brainthwaite were bought and both started training with the first team squad as soon as they came.

I was made up for the two lads last night of course but it was purely cosmetic, yes and to give the lads a boost, maybe convince Small to sign the contract he’s been stalling on for a couple of months, they came on at the right time 3-0 up with minutes remaining and you could make what you want of how they played, as long as they enjoyed it along with their family and friends and us supporters.

By the way Nkouknou, Brainthwaite were bought and both started training with the first team squad as soon as they came.
Cameron, why do you say Small is stalling have you heard something? He’s 16 so he cant sign a professional contract until he’s 17 even if he wanted to.

Cameron, why do you say Small is stalling have you heard something? He’s 16 so he cant sign a professional contract until he’s 17 even if he wanted to.

Apparently sides were sniffing round him with him questioning his options on the basis if not having a pathway and being stuck in the 23s. Those stories have gone away now and I doubt he has those reservations now.

Status
Not open for further replies.